AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Just bought a Sony XBR 49X950H because it has good review on anti-reflective screen.
However, I noticed that the left and right upper corners have, perhaps usually refers to as DSE effect?

I have read that it is common or normal? Is there anything that can be done to correct it?

Thanks,

MP

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I think in general in 40+ inch LCDs layers are a bit bowed in the upper corners you get lightbleeding because of it...good to see in a dark room with dark content. They came up with stuff like zones and local dimming a decade ago where this became less visible. At some point it seem they made these corners extra dark to cover up this technology related issue. Not shure how they deal with this issue these days but your post surely reminds me of it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi, Just bought a Sony XBR 49X950H because it has good review on anti-reflective screen.
However, I noticed that the left and right upper corners have, perhaps usually refers to as DSE effect?

I have read that it is common or normal? Is there anything that can be done to correct it?

Thanks,

MP
It's not DSE. It's vingetting and it's highly common in sony 9 series fald displays. I returned my 900 for that exact reason. It was noticeable in normal content. I wish they would fix it because it's a great tv other than that. More people than I can count have come on here asking the same question you are. Having a smaller screen seems to makes it worse.
I'm not sure what 8mile is saying Plenty of big led tvs without dark corners including some older sonys and some hisense falds.

Sony X950H Review (XBR49X950H, XBR55X950H, XBR65X950H, XBR75X950H, XBR85X950H) - RTINGS.com
Rtings mentions it "There's very little dirty screen effect, which is great for sports fans, but the vignetting at the corners is very visible and can be distracting for some"

Rtings NEVER emphasizes anything. You have to know what you're looking at. The corners are clearly dark in that uniformity image.

I'd be very careful about so called "reviews" that are simply industry shills using affiliated marketing to make commission. Rtings is a good source for info.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I'm not sure what 8mile is saying Plenty of big led tvs without dark corners including some older sonys and some hisense falds.
I actually owned a Sony LCD which was the 40'' version of the 2008 top of the line which had issues in the upper corners. I contacted Sony who stated that it was technology related..those layers bends a bit in the corners so there was some lightbleed. I also owned the 2009 46'' top of the line Sony which was a LED FALD which had the same issue but it was less visible/annoying at propper Local Dimming settings. I guess in some models it bends somewhat more than in others at the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 49" version and after months vignetting is the only issue I still notice. Great tv anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts