AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony 40 XBR2:

When the pic is all black it appears like all four corners of screen are either clouding or my backlight is coming through or something? Please help. I am using cnets settings except my backlight is on 7 becasue I think this looks better for me

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
doesn't sound like clouding to me. you have your backlight set high.

are other settings on the high side as well?

how have you played around to balance it out?

how high is the brightness/ try turning it down

maybe a power save setting of low will help?

is this for one input or all?

·
Registered
300 Posts
40XBR2, just be aware if anything is not perfectly as you would expect for the price of this set then just blame it on a mura defect. Now I know what's wrong with the world. The world is one big mura defect!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris /forum/post/0

From your description, yes.

Do I take it back or call SOny

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40XBR2Sony /forum/post/0

Depends on how long you have had it and where you bought it from. If it is less than 30 days and you bought it from a CC or a BB, take it back. They will give you about that time frame to return something. If it is longer than that call Sony.

There is a Sony backlight /clouding thread here on the LCD forum. If you look though the thread long enough, some posts have attachments that show the issue with some sets. If you read though it you can understand better how do deal with the customer service reps at Sony and techniques on how to get it resolved quicker.

BTW, Just off hand like Lyris said, sounds like clouding.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Cloudy is non-uniformity of LCD cause be pressure on the display from the enclosure. On this site, this is called "CLOUDY". You can make it less noticable by 1) tuning down the backlight 2) adjusting "brightness" and "contrast" (not the backlight) and 3) loosen the plastic enclosure of the display.

DB

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40XBR2Sony /forum/post/0

How often to you sit and stare at a black screen?

It's not "clouding". It's what LCD's with cranked backlights and brightness do.

Two choices, neither of which is returning the awesome panel:

1. Turn down brightness and the backlight until the black-screen effect goes away.

2. Stop staring at black screens and watch TV.

BJ

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It depends on whether or not you find it acceptable. Boltjames is right when he says that LCDs don't have a totally uniform panel surface and this shows through when the Backlight is set too high. But the latest Sony/Sharp panels have exhibited more of this than is normal.

The "Brightness" control will have little to no effect in altering this condition as Brightness is a video processing adjustment, Backlight is one that affects the physical lamp itself.

I actually ran my latest KDL-40V2500 on its lowest possible Backlight setting (Power Saving on HIGH) and could still see the clouds, so I returned it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames /forum/post/0

How often to you sit and stare at a black screen?

It's not "clouding". It's what LCD's with cranked backlights and brightness do.

Two choices, neither of which is returning the awesome panel:

1. Turn down brightness and the backlight until the black-screen effect goes away.

2. Stop staring at black screens and watch TV.

BJ

This is NOT true. This is not what all LCD's do. This is what poorly designed defective LCD's do. I have many LCD's that do not have this problem.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 /forum/post/0

call sony and request the firmware upgrade that is being sent out that hopefully will eliminate this problem.

The firmware update will not eliminate the problem. This is a hardware defect. The firmware will only mask the issue to some extent while making the picture look horribly dark.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Any LCD "cell" can show the non-uniformity. The cause is an uneven cell-gap caused by external pressures. When the backlight is up high and the contrast (black level) is set low, the non-uniformities will be noticable on a "black screen". You can sort of hide or minimize them, but you cannot make them go away unless you eliminate the cause of the pressure (uneven cell gap).

DB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.