AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what inputs of the Sony XBR450 (36" specifically) need to be used for the doubler to kick in. Specifically:

1. RF/Antenna In

2. Composite

3. S-Video

4. Component - I assume this is yes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi viduser

I have a Sony34xbr800 but linked to the owner's manual for the Sony 36xbr450 here:

http://ayuda.sel.sony.com/documents/tv/KV40XBR700.pdf

The xbr450 has the Sony DRC de-interlacer. My understanding is that the DRC will convert all 480i signals to 480p if you have the DRC mode under the video menu set to progressive or to CineMotion. This includes 480i sent from RF/Antenna In, Composite, S-Video, or Component. If you set the DRC mode to interlaced, you get 480i. With the newer xbr800 series you can adjust the DRC instead of just turning in on or off.

Anyway that is how I understand it but if I am wrong, someone will probably correct me. :p

Rick

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Any 480i source (RF, Composite, S-Video, 480i Component) will be converted to something the TV can display (it can't display 480i). How it does this is dependent on the DRC mode.

DRC Mode:

Interlaced -> 960i

Progressive -> 480p (line doubling)

CineMotion -> 480p (3:2 pulldown)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Interlaced -> 960i

Progressive -> 480p (line doubling)

CineMotion -> 480p (3:2 pulldown)
So this is what the 3 DRC modes on my KV-40XBR800 do. I'm still somewhat surprised that the image doesn't seem to change much regardless of which DRC mode I selelct (at least for NTSC 480i stuff).

Thanks for this clarification.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with the comment that I do not see much change, which is why I needed to ask the question in the first place. I thought I was not on the correct input.

The link to the document did not work for me...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Viduser

It is subtle. When I have something stationary up there like my replaytv menu, it is easy to see the differences in interlaced and progressive (or Cinemotion) from 7'. With a moving picture, it is not so easy for me to see. I didn't know that about the 960i on interlaced mode. I just leave mine on Cinemotion.

BTW, the direct link to the manual just worked for me again. It is an Adobe pdf file so do you have Adobe reader? Here is the shtml link to the whole list of Sony manuals:

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/service/...vmanuals.shtml

Rick

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by litzdog911
I'm still somewhat surprised that the image doesn't seem to change much regardless of which DRC mode I selelct (at least for NTSC 480i stuff
I agree the picture doesn't change much ... every once in a while I will start seeing artifacts in one mode (often the Cinemotion). For example, sometimes in Cinemotion you see very brief 'lines' when a screen blanks out. I'll then usually switch over to Interlaced.

On my set ... just about the only difference you can always see is the following:

In Cinemotion or Progressive, if you look very very closely at the screen (nose against glass) you can see a little bit of black space between the scan lines (horizontal). In Interlaced, that black space pretty much dissapears. Makes sense ... the scan line is going to be the same width ... in 480p it draws them all out on the screen. In 960i it's going to draw 480 scan lines, and then draw another 480 scan lines in the 'gaps'.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dt_dc
I agree the picture doesn't change much ... every once in a while I will start seeing artifacts in one mode (often the Cinemotion). For example, sometimes in Cinemotion you see very brief 'lines' when a screen blanks out. I'll then usually switch over to Interlaced.

This is the only difference between the modes that I've ever been aware of. Those "blanking lines" annoy me considerably, so I always use interlaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.