Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owners of XBRs,

Have you yet used/setup the built-in HDTV tuner for receiving broadcasts yet? If yes, how was the experience? I am planning to buy the TV and am wondering the use of the tuner. If you are using the tuner,

1. Which city are u from?

2. How is the reception/clarity of the channels?

3. How did you install it.

The above info shall help me make the decision. I live in Sterling, VA and am wondering how well it shall work in this area and also how difficult would it be to set it up myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
1. Memphis TN

2. HD is incredible. With digital channels you either receive the signal or you don't.

3. I hooked up a Zenith Silver sensor UHF indoor antenna, just like you would on any TV and it does the trick for me on picking up my digital stations.

Go to the link Jordan420 posted above. The difficulty will result in what kind of antenna you need as far as Indoor/outdoor/size. The type of antenna used is the same UHF/VHF antenna thats always been used. If your good to go with an indoor antenna it's as simple as screwing the coax cable to the back of your set. If you need an outdoor antenna. The mounting and placement is what you will have to deal with.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How difficult is the mounting however? I did check the antenna web site and I can get almost all Local Channels with UHF antenna. Can I do the mounting myself if it has to be an outside antenna? If not, how much does it cost?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Quote:
How difficult is the mounting however? I did check the antenna web site and I can get almost all Local Channels with UHF antenna. Can I do the mounting myself if it has to be an outside antenna? If not, how much does it cost?
That depends on what your mounting and where you have to mount it. Probably the most difficult part of the whole ordeal is running the line from the TV to the Antenna. As far you doing it yourself thats up to you. Some people would find it easy and some wouldn't want to tackle it.

I'm a do it yourselfer when it comes to things like that. As far as cost... To me it's usually worth the effort to do it yourself as opposed to pay someone else to do it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
1. Dayton Oh

2. good

3. easy

I've always used an indoor antenna for the locals (Dishnet for the rest). A few months ago (before we decided to buy the new set), I bought a Winegard Sensar with the intent of mounting it outside. Thats still the intent but waiting on warmer weather. This is a general coverage local antenna, and does well on the digitals. All the locals have digital broadcast but only selected prime time shows are in HD. With the antenna sitting on top of my equipment cabinet, reception is not bad. The program guide for the HD channels has an on screen signal strength meter which helps. Wow, no shadows, no snow, just perfect picture. If you lose signal, just a black screen appears. Football is breathtaking in HD. I think the tuner is great, and is one of the reasons we got the xbr. A dedicated UHF antenna would probably do even better. Why pay for locals?

cheers

Dave Walton

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am in zip code 20166 and it is right in Sterling, VA by church road. I see on antennaweb.com that I can get the digital sinals using UHF (red) for some and blue for some. I would already be streching my budget way far to buy XBR instead of the WE610 and therefore would not ideally want to pay for installation of the new outdoor antenna. I am not that optimistic abt Indoor as I have not yet heard anyone in this side of VA getting HDTV with indoor antenna.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
1. Long Island, NY...53 miles from the signal origination.

2. Like someone else said, you either get them or you don't. When you get them, they're perfect and I get all of them that are at, or close to, full power. Since 9/11, there have been band-aid solutions since all but one of the stations broadcasted from the WTC.

3. Easy...Hammered two nails on rafters in my attic and hung a CM4228 antenna on them. Then ran that through a CM 7777 Preamp.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You might want to try the AVS forum "local HDTV info and reception" board. You might have better luck with that question there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.