AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a message elsewhere that indicated that Sony has just introduced $500 rebates on the 57" and 65" versions of their XBR rear projection sets. Can anyone confirm that?

Tom

·
Registered
255 Posts
It is true.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It's been advertised by Sound Advice in their newspaper ads here in Florida.

·
Registered
18 Posts
New Info,

Got an E-Mail from Sony, as follows:

Thank you for contacting SONY.

There is a rebate for unit purchased between 7/15/01 - 09/30/01.

complete the rebate coupon, send copy of dated sales receipt, upc barcode

from the box must be postmarked by 10/31/01.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

The SONY Internet Group

Customer Information Services Center

CV99

Hope this helps.

Kevin

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just talked to Sony rep he didn't know anything about it. Kevin good job but can someone put the rebate coupon online so we can print it. Or can you give the e-mail address of who you contacted maybe they can e-mail us a copy of the rebate form?

------------------
http://www.ragingminds.com

Deals, Coupons & Freebies!

[This message has been edited by cow736 (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
186 Posts
Now I'm trying to find out if our Sony 65" KP-65XBR10W will support this new HDCP/5C DVI stuff that has been official for encryption. Anyone find anything yet? I don't want a useless 65" TV.

------------------

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is the E-Mail address: [email protected]

I think we are screwed though. Sony says we need the bar code off the box. The installers took my box. I have an E-Mail in to Sony asking of there is any way to get around that. You would think the Serial number and reciept should be enough. I'll let you know when I hear back from Sony.

Kevin

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kevin I totally agree with you on that. A 65" box is too big to keep in the garage. If they check they should be able to see that our serial # was never registered before and we're the first buyer. Plus the Sony rep knows that these model RPTV is less than a year old from the manufacture date.

------------------

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What were the effect dates of the rebate? It will be just my damned luck that I missed it by 1 or 2 days. Is it a Sony mail-in rebate or an immediate rebate at the dealer at the time of purchase?

Thansk,

Tom

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kevin:

When did you buy your set? Would someone please send me the e-mail address of the Sony Internet unit that was referenced in one of the other messages and a person's name and contact number. $100 or $200 may not have been worth the effort but $500 is. I bought my set on June 25th so I am probably out of luck although I wiill plead my case to anyone at Sony who will listen. I also bought the SAT-HD100 as well as the Sony oval dish. They should make it retroactive back to June 25th. DAMN!!!!

Tom

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm just worried now that our Sony 65" KP-65XBR10W RPTV is not DVI/HDCP compatible. Then our TV wouldn't really be HDTV ready! I've e-mailed Sony they don't know anything about it.

------------------

·
Registered
425 Posts
I too have the KP-65xBR10W. It is great to hear that others do to! I think I wa the first to get it on the forum (got mine in Feburary of 2001...manufactured in Dec 2000). I guess I have no chance of a rebate!

As for the DVI/5c interface I too am worried. I CANNOT believe that Sony would screw thousands of customers whom have already invested in their sets and stb's. They don't even have any fireware/DVI sets available yet!! If they were gonna screw us they should STOP selling there non DVI/5C compatible sets.

I know Mits has told its customers not to worry and that they would upgrade their sets as necessary (for a nominal fee I think).

Us 57 and 65" guys should start our own little forum. It would be nice to hear the tragedies, tips and tricks of other HD RPTV XBR owners! Could you guys do me a favor and look at a thread I have started about a major problem with my TV:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/015116.html

Thanks and good luck with the rebates...that could buy you a new STB!

------------------

Kent Oberlin
www.koberlinstudios.com

for HT pics!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Tom,

Check my other post earlier for info on the E-Mail address. I bought my Sony on the 22nd of July. I should be good to go. The only problem is the installers took my box away. That thing was BIG. No place to store it. I called the company and they said the box was already thrown away. That turned into a VERY expensive box. $500 box to be exact. Anyway, Sony says we must have the Bar code off of the box to get the rebate. I am ROYALY PISSED. I will be writing MANY letters to Sony on this issue!!!

Kevin

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kevin you seem to have all the luck so far. Did you get any word on what Sony was going to do about the DVI/HDCP connections that we don't have on our sets? I wonder if they will make a connection to be installed on the back or something since a RPTV would be alot easier to modify than a direct-view tv.

------------------

[This message has been edited by cow736 (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cow,

I really don't know much about the DVI/HDCP issue. If it does come to pass then we will have to perform a serious letter writing campaign to Sony. I can't see that they would support their equipment. Maybe I am just naive.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.