AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sony XBR series is more expensive then the other model lines from Sony. What does the XBR series offer that the other series don't offer that makes it more expensive?

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
In Europe and Japan XBR has a different name.

There are only three:X2000,X3500,X4500,last year's X was cancelled,they are special tv's,maybe they offer only a few extra's over the cheaper models but they are the whole package and there is prestige involved.

XBR has in between models:X3500(xbr5),xbr6,xbr7,X4500(xbr8).

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade /forum/post/18295324

The Sony XBR series is more expensive then the other model lines from Sony. What does the XBR series offer that the other series don't offer that makes it more expensive?

The XBR designation dates back to the early-mid 80s. The original XBR was a thinly disguised 20" studio monitor, followed by the KV25XBR (one of which I own and it still works fine). These tvs represented the absolute highest cutting edge technology in the industry, pioneering such things as comb filters, S-video and later component video inputs, digital 3D comb filters, etc. combined with unique and interesting styling.

The XBR sets will feature the best video processors and most comprehensive features in the Sony line.

Of late the XBR designation has been diluted a bit. The last widescreen crt XBR was significantly inferior to it's predecessor in using a picture tube with an inferior dot pitch. There are also two levels of XBR lcd sets--most recently the cutting edge LED local dimming XBR-8 and the less expensive CCFL backlit XBR-9.

I quit spending the extra money for the XBR line after my last one, a '98 model KV35XBR48 crt that weighed upwards of 200 lbs. It was a great set but I've come to believe that the price differential between the XBR and the series just below it (most recently the Z series) just isn't justified.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts