AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

Looking for opinions here on my decision. If you own either set, please let me know in addition to your comments.

I was one of the lucky few who got the Sony Bravia XBR2 40" 1080P LCD from BBuy on their 12/31 pricing goof.

However, while I admit I always liked the picture of the Sony, it was previously out of my price range and I was pretty much settled on the 42" Panny Plasma (60 series).

I see now that they have them at Bbuy on a pretty sweet price, PLUS 36 months no interest (loving using someone else's money... )...

I primarily watch sports, network TV (HD if possible now.. man, already spoiled) and movies. I don't game and probably won't use as a monitor, but might.

Current room is not very brighly lit except for a few hours in the afternoon, but can solve with windowshades. Might be moving in a few months, brightness of room TBD.

Should I keep the Sony and feel lucky to have scored a great TV for such an awesome price? (I don't appear to have the clouding issue..)

Or should I save $600 bones and go with the plasma, get a slightly bigger screen and a technology more suited for my watching?

Thanks in advance... appreciate it!

Petey

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a coupon for this weekend (til Monday) that will chop another 10%/12%(reward zone members) off the Panny so it would actually save you some more money and make the price that much cheaper.

Sports and non-hd material - the Panny is better. If you want to hook up as a pc monitor, the Sony is better. How close are you sitting? You have to sit really really close to be able to notice a difference on a 40" 1080p set as opposed to 720p (especially if you won't use it with a PC or if you dont have anything outputting 1080p)!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyNinja /forum/post/0

There is a coupon for this weekend (til Monday) that will chop another 10%/12%(reward zone members) off the Panny so it would actually save you some more money and make the price that much cheaper.

Sports and non-hd material - the Panny is better. If you want to hook up as a pc monitor, the Sony is better. How close are you sitting? You have to sit really really close to be able to notice a difference on a 40" 1080p set as opposed to 720p (especially if you won't use it with a PC or if you dont have anything outputting 1080p)!

Do you have a link for that coupon? I think I tossed it b/c most of the time those coupons are only good for "regular price"... and I think it has an instant rebate right now...

I sit about 6 - 8 feet away.

Probably only 10" chance to use as monitor... would do that at new house as more of a toy (i.e. "see my cool wall mounted flat panel TV also is a monitor!") vs. it being a practical thing.

Thanks... I'm so on the fence... might just go buy the Panny, put them side to side in home and then make up my mind..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the coupon # over the phone from Bbuy cust. service but it was only good on regularly priced items.

Still... wondering if the Plasma for $600 less is the right thing... slightly worried about burn-in, but it appears you can for the most part mitigate that risk by being sensible.

Any other opinions out there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also.... what distance do you all consider a 40-42 inch screen "good" for... if I'm sitting 10 feet away, should I get the 50" panny instead? Don't want it to be overbearing in the room.... but hey, bigger is better... right???

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyMyBoy /forum/post/0

Also.... what distance do you all consider a 40-42 inch screen "good" for... if I'm sitting 10 feet away, should I get the 50" panny instead? Don't want it to be overbearing in the room.... but hey, bigger is better... right???

At 10' you definitely want a 50". In fact, at 10' I would prefer a 60" if I could aford it. 50" will be just fine. I think you would soon find 42" small at that distance particularly for movies.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do you use it for gaming at all?

If you do, stick with the LCD.

Not many Sony XBR users have noticed the emergence of the new Mitsubishi 1080p LCD's models this past november. You should add the 46" LT131 model to your list of options...the quality is almost as good if not as good as the sony. This would give you the option of a larger screen without worrying about burn-in and still have 1080p (and same price range as what you paid for).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all.

I think I'm going up to 50" panny. Visited the place we might be moving to (new construction condos - wife's mom's co-worker lives in first phase) and the room is definitetly HUGE! Probably 20" from couch to wall where it would be mounted.

The couple living there had a 56" SXRD... NICE. The husband wasn't home... definitely wanted to talk TVs with him!

Would consider a bigger 1080P DLP (LcOS) but wife would prefer if TV be mounted on wall (kid concerns... which will be valid... have 15 month old and 1 on the way...)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.