AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2007 (i think?) I purchased a 40" Sony XBR2. As you all know, it is a quality LCD. It has served me faithfully since, and I still get the sense that the PQ I have on my Sony is better than the majority of new (lower priced) TVs out there today(just my opinion!)

This past weekend, my girlfriend decided she wanted to replace the old 27" CRT TV in our bedroom. After a quick look around town, she came home with a rather inexpensive Samsung PN43D450 plasma. Now I understand that it is only 720p vs. my LCD's 1080p, but given that the Sony is 5 year old tech, would the plasma be better suited for the main room? I haven't dialed in the PQ just yet, but from what I see it is a very capable set. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
Eventhough the xbr2 (x2000) is a very special LCd its PQ is surpassed by many LCd models.

PQ of Plasma is rated higher than LCd by experts but you should keep in mind that you can not watch black bar stuff/ one channel with a bright loge in a corner all the time on a Plasma, you must variate your content. Plasma is also more fitted for dark room viewing (LCd is more fitted for bright room viewing) Here is a Plasma FAQ - burn in & break in http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

For LCd or Plasma related questions you can start a thread in the LCd or Plasma FORUM.

·
Registered
426 Posts
8mile is correct that many new sets are better than the xbr2. Just the way it is.

I have 3 720p plasmas and they are quite nice and many instances at the right distance with either comcast HD or FIOS HD they produce an excellent picture and I don't feel cheated comparing it to my much more expensive 1080 sets.

I have pdps in bright rooms and they perform well. It does not need to be dark to enjoy it. It does have reflections which can be a problem but that has more to do with where the light is coming from.

The best advice I can give: Since you own it why not move it and try it and not listen to any of us?

·
Registered
8,727 Posts

samjsheldon; said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13; /forum/post/0

Eventhough the xbr2 (x2000) is a very special LCd its PQ is surpassed by many LCd models.

What would you suggest in the sony line today have surpassed it: EX720; NX or HX? Or only recent XBR's?

What about other LCD/LED brands?

I have an XBR2 and would like to replace it but not for something over $2500.

most post 2008 LCd's have surpassed the xbr2 PQ, just don't buy a edge-lit led LCd http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-399.html

·
Registered
926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcraft /forum/post/20883594

Back in 2007 (i think?) I purchased a 40" Sony XBR2. As you all know, it is a quality LCD. It has served me faithfully since, and I still get the sense that the PQ I have on my Sony is better than the majority of new (lower priced) TVs out there today(just my opinion!)

This past weekend, my girlfriend decided she wanted to replace the old 27" CRT TV in our bedroom. After a quick look around town, she came home with a rather inexpensive Samsung PN43D450 plasma. Now I understand that it is only 720p vs. my LCD's 1080p, but given that the Sony is 5 year old tech, would the plasma be better suited for the main room? I haven't dialed in the PQ just yet, but from what I see it is a very capable set. Thoughts?

Do you have room for a larger size as now would be the time to take advantage of swapping out a larger set for the main room and using the older and smaller Sony for the bedroom. You can pick up a very nice set in the 50-55" range for $1000 to $1500.00 or even less if you go with a 720p plasma. The Panasonic ST30 is a very good bang for the buck set and there are others as well in both plasma and lcd.

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 /forum/post/20885941

Do you have room for a larger size as now would be the time to take advantage of swapping out a larger set for the main room and using the older and smaller Sony for the bedroom. You can pick up a very nice set in the 50-55" range for $1000 to $1500.00 or even less if you go with a 720p plasma. The Panasonic ST30 is a very good bang for the buck set and there are others as well in both plasma and lcd.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebernazz
Really? That was what your off topic post was getting at? Very helpful.
look buddy, don't make this into a bigger deal than it is. It was merely a suggestion as it sounded like his GF went out and bought a set somewhat prematurely to replace a bedroom set. Now the poster is wondering which would be best for the bedroom and main room and I suggested that if he's thinking of using his Sony for the bedroom that it might be a good time to upgrade the main set to something larger. Just merely an option to think about and I have no idea why it concerns you as it was never directed at you.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/20884040

What would you suggest in the sony line today have surpassed it: EX720; NX or HX? Or only recent XBR's?

What about other LCD/LED brands?

I have an XBR2 and would like to replace it but not for something over $2500.

Why not a 46 inch XBR 929? Well within your budget...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.