AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying that I am a novice at display calibration, but I feel like I am starting to get a handle on things, thanks to this forum. I have a Sony KDL-40XBR3 LCD display, and I've calibrated it using a Spyder II sensor with HCFR. I've been able to achieve pretty accurate grayscale (dE

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I hope you realize that the spyder 2 pod is not a good match for the Sony LCD flat panel you have. It has a tendency to be off by 500 to 800 to 1000 degrees ... giving you something way way too red ... and it tells you things are correct.

regards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting...Things do seem pretty red, but I thought it might be a preception thing from viewing images that were too blue for so many years. Should I consider upgrading to the eye one sensor. Will it perform better with my LCD panel? Also, can you point me to any threads that have some discussion on this topic?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Generally pretty well known issue among the professional calibration community.

Only threads you will find here at AVS are probably those where I am there saying the same thing as here.

The enthusiasts just don't have the benefit of working on multiple displays (hundreds and hundreds) with all types of calibration devices ranging in price for $100's to above $10K ...

Regards

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpoly_ME /forum/post/14294304

Interesting...Things do seem pretty red, but I thought it might be a preception thing from viewing images that were too blue for so many years. Should I consider upgrading to the eye one sensor. Will it perform better with my LCD panel? Also, can you point me to any threads that have some discussion on this topic?

Calpoly_ME,

if you do a search for "meter shootout", you'll find a few threads devoted to some comparisons on various displays between the Spyder 2, i1Display and the i1Pro as well as other meters. I believe one that Tom Huffman did back at the end of last year sometime is pretty comprehensive and included a number of different display technologies. From everything I've read here, most people seem to favor the i1Display over the Spyder 2 assuming one cannot afford the i1Pro.

Also, assuming the Spyder 2 is in the ballpark with green, then most likely there is nothing you can do to make the native green 'greener' - unless your display has a ColorSpace or similar option that can expand the gamut (this may throw off the other two primaries though).

hope this helps,

--tom

·
Registered
283 Posts
Interesting that. I do worry sometimes if the readings I get back from Eye One/HCFR is correct.

I have a Sony Plasma, and the CIE graph shows the Green is oversaturated. However, the green luminance output is too low.

When setting up the grey scale, I noticed that to get 100% green the green drive control was increased more than the other 2 primaries (B=-20, R=+5, G=+20). The grayscale looks pretty neutral, however when compared to Sony's Warm' setting, it looks pretty cool'. I'm sure the Sony's warm' setting is pretty close to 6500k?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphiplasma /forum/post/14300686

I'm sure the Sony's warm' setting is pretty close to 6500k?

I would not consider that a safe assumption. I have seen "warm" or "NTSC standard" factory color temp presets that look and measure very poorly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts