AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I purchased a 52" Sony XBR4 and pick it up tomorrow from BEST BUY. I am very excited. I got the 4-Year Service plan for $349.

Couple questions:

#1. How important is the service plan on a TV like this?

#2. Since I am not going to mount it anytime soon, I would love to see pics of stands that other members have purchased for this tv.

#3. Is there anything else I should have with this TV? (cables, surge protectors, etc)

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
72 Posts
your not supposed to talk price, also if you dont have direct tv you`ll be sorry since comcast sucks i here it all the time..

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravenuts /forum/post/12963846

Today I purchased a 52" Sony XBR4 and pick it up tomorrow from BEST BUY. I am very excited. Since I just started looking I am not sure how good of a price I got. They matched Circuit Citys price of $2999.99 and then gave me an instant $200 off for using a new best buy MC. I then got the 4-Year Service plan for $349. So the total for the TV and Service plan was ($2799+$349) $3148+Tax (around $3420 out the door).

Couple questions:

#1. Does that sound like a good deal?

#2. How important is the service plan on a TV like this?

#3. Since I am not going to mount it anytime soon, I would love to see pics of stands that other members have purchased for this tv.

#4. Is there anything else I should have with this TV? (cables, surge protectors, etc)

Thanks for the input!

No price talking here but you got ripped off on the extended warranty. Sony.com has their own extended warranty plans which are much cheaper. I have a 40W3000 I bought from Sears on Black Friday. I got a 3 year extended warranty from Sony.com for $83.00. Here's the Sony extended warranty page:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...151&langId=-1#

·
Registered
803 Posts
Cancel that overpriced extended warranty and go with Sony or Mack (tapeworks texas). You'll save a bunch and you'll have just as good service.

Don't buy any fancy cables...monster cables and such are just pure profit to the store.

Don't get too high a stand....you don't want to have to look up to see the TV...it should be at eye level when you are sitting.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Really good core price but the warrenty isn't all that great of a deal, as for the comcast part i wouldn't worry about that until you get the thing in the house.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I didnt think $349 for 4 years sounded to bad for the warranty. Not that it makes a difference but BB said they would come out twice a year and clean the tv.

I think I have 30 days to return the warranty, If I do this..What other warranties do you guys recommend? How hard is it to get someone to come out when the warr co is not local?

If anyone has pictures of their setup (need to buy a stand soon) I would love to see them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any Input on the service plans by best buy? Alternative plans?

Is there any place on this site that has pictures of the XBR4/Stand combos people have posted?

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_budz /forum/post/12964506

No price talking here but you got ripped off on the extended warranty. Sony.com has their own extended warranty plans which are much cheaper. I have a 40W3000 I bought from Sears on Black Friday. I got a 3 year extended warranty from Sony.com for $83.00. Here's the Sony extended warranty page:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...151&langId=-1#

I don't think your 40W3000 is in the same price range as a 52"XBR4, hence your lower warranty costs. Either way, the amount BB charges is still a Benjamin more that what Sony sells for a comparable plan. I agree with 1_budz you've been ripped off

·
Registered
803 Posts
what is there to clean on an LCD TV? That's really creative salesmanship.

I wouldn't want BB in my house twice a year for anything and if they cleaned it, I suspect they would scratch the screen or worse.

Go to the sonystyle site for sony's warranty...or look at the Mack warranty offered thru tapeworkstexas web site. A 3 year warranty extension (after the sony warranty ends) is about 1/2 of what you paid.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good, I will check out sonystyle!

Couple other questions, I got the TV set up tonight and have only hooked up the cable directly to the tv for now. Ofcourse everything is fuzzy.......I would assume if I purchase the component cables vs using the coax it will improve the picture.

Also, Does this tv have a built in tunner? Do I just need to get an antenna to get local HD channels?

Any other advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bravenuts: Just FYI I was told by Sony.com that they'll send a technician to your home if the lcd set has something wrong with it. Any TV over 32 inches the tech goes to your home.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. Do you purchase the Sony warranty online?

I had never hear of MACK warranty, is this something that anyone has had any experience with? Do they replace the TV if they cant fix it or if they have to come out a certain # of times??

As for the "Out Of the Box" picture on this tv, being hooked up from the direct tv box with the coax cable everything is fuzzy, expecially from close in.....would a component cable impove that?

Also, does the tv have a built in HD Tuner? If so, do I just hook up an antenna?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Getting my 52" xbr4 delivered this weekend on saturday !!!!! Its like Christmas came early this year -- I can barely sleep -- Glad I am able to join all of the others who own this awesome tv -- Thanks Sony !!! Would love any tips and tricks on settings -- Will be using with PS3 and Toshiba A3 HD DVD player and also have Scientific Atlantic HD DVR through Charter Communications -- Thanks for any help

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'll throw a couple of answers at you.

1. The pricer things are, the more likely I would be to buy an extended warranty; just be advised extended warranties are in most cases money makers for the companies offering them.

2. Oops can't post a url in my first post....check out the Bello PR-10E.

This is a pic of my TV stand. pricey, but elegant....oh forgot to mention, I don't even have my TV on this stand, as it is wall mounted. The stand does make for a great piece below the TV to hold the audio equipment though. (hint) google for a good price.

3. Without knowing what other equipment you have, it is pretty hard to suggest cabling, etc...but a surge protector is a definite for something that expensive. I would suggest HDMI cables, as surely you have an HD/Blu ray, upconverting DVD player, HD Satellite/Cable or something of the sort sending a signal to the TV.

I have the same TV in my house, and you do get quality for your money in my opinion. With that being said, I have a Toshiba in my apartment and am happy with it also.

To answer your other question; yes your TV has a tuner that will pick up Over the Air HD broadcasts when used with the proper antenna if there are indeed broadcasts close enough for you to pull in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravenuts /forum/post/12963846

Today I purchased a 52" Sony XBR4 and pick it up tomorrow from BEST BUY. I am very excited. I got the 4-Year Service plan for $349.

Couple questions:

#1. How important is the service plan on a TV like this?

#2. Since I am not going to mount it anytime soon, I would love to see pics of stands that other members have purchased for this tv.

#3. Is there anything else I should have with this TV? (cables, surge protectors, etc)

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got my 52" xbr4 up and running yesterday and just have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out -- first i noticed everyone thinks the build date is important mine is october 2007 -- any problems with this build date? second when motionflow set to high i noticed some issues sometimes almost looks like choppiness surrounding a movie character if they move quickly -- is there an adjustment somewhere else that will help for that? those are about the only questions i have for now -- other than that i am loving the set -- thanks for any help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Sony XBR4 with a vertical line and the lower horizontal speaker panel seams to have overheated. I just got back from business when i noticed this and called Sony the TV is 10 days out from the initial one year warranty. The technician that came out says the panel needs to be replaced. I called Sony and the run around has started. Do I have any leverage the repair will cost the same as the TV for a problem that seems to be rampant on these TV's. I cannot accept that an expensive tv like this can break down and Sony can act like they know nothing other than it is out of warranty dont bother us. Do they stand by their name? their product? Advice is baddly needed to work through their robots in customer service.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts