AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking to buy a 52" 120 Hz LCD. I've pretty much decided to purchase a Sony over the Samsung.


So right now, I'm looking at what Sony is about to bring for 2008 and is it worth it to wait for the 2008 W4000 series or just go ahead and get the XBR4?


Also, historically what or how much does the price drop when a new model is released?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmonez /forum/post/12958450


I'm currently looking to buy a 52" 120 Hz LCD. I've pretty much decided to purchase a Sony over the Samsung.


So right now, I'm looking at what Sony is about to bring for 2008 and is it worth it to wait for the W series or just go ahead and get the XBR4?


Also, historically what or how much does the price drop when a new model is released?

I would go with the W series for now. I think 120Hz tech needs a least another year to work out the bugs. It's just not worth the price difference for the tech.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking the W series that is the 2008 model. Not the current W series.


From the Sony Website
Quote:
2008 W-series

Sony® BRAVIA® W-Series LCD HDTV's bring our High-Definition expertise delivering 1080p resolution for superior detail, coupled with Motionflow 120Hz for superior smooth motion. Coming Spring 2008.


Highlights:


16:9 Full High-Definition Resolution (1920 x 1080p) LCD Panel

Motionflow 120Hz high frame rate technology reduces motion blur delivering a smooth, natural and realistic viewing experience, especially films.

Breathtaking picture quality - Full HD 1080p means you can enjoy every single HD pixel and 24p True Cinema input from a Blu-ray player to get every single frame.

2008 W-series Models:


KDL-40W4100

KDL-46W4100

KDL-52W4100
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmonez /forum/post/12958502


I'm talking the W series that is the 2008 model. Not the current W series.


From the Sony Website

Still the motion flow isn't worth it. It looks cool on live concerts and nature shows but not so good on movies. It also can create extra artifacts. If you're sold on 120Hz it might be a better idea to wait for the 2008 W series and see if it's improved. However, it looks like the w4100 is a XBR4 in a new frame so if you like the current design pull the trigger on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
i would wait if you can. sony's 120hz works pretty darn good this year(yes it does have some issues), one could only think sony will address the know issues and make things right this year. i have the xbr4, love it so far. noticed some smearing but nothing to make me want to return it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/12958567


Still the motion flow isn't worth it. It looks cool on live concerts and nature shows but not so good on movies.

And that's why you can customize settings per-input...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr /forum/post/12958482


I would go with the W series for now. I think 120Hz tech needs a least another year to work out the bugs. It's just not worth the price difference for the tech.

coudnt be any more WRONG!


120hz emits a PQ thats has me in AWE, and i have had HD since 1999


comparing these 2 sets is like comparing the porsche boxster to the carrea


night and day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbull271 /forum/post/12961624


coudnt be any more WRONG!120hz emits a PQ thats has me in AWE, and i have had HD since 1999comparing these 2 sets is like comparing the porsche boxster to the carreanight and day

Good point!


Just to add the mis-information, the W series has a Bravia EX engine where the XBR has the Bravia Pro engine.


The Bravia Pro engine is the biggest reason why you buy an XBR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
my only reason to buy a 120hz lcd is if it able to remove some motion blur in games or when seeing a tv sport games ?


is it doing any good with that stuff ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. I don't see any news about Sony modifying the 120 Hz on the W4000 series. The only difference I see between the xbr4 and the W4000 series is that the W4000 series has that internet module already built in where as the xbr4 you have to buy it for $299.


Does anyone have any other info on the new W4000 series?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmonez /forum/post/12968309


Thanks for the responses. I don't see any news about Sony modifying the 120 Hz on the W4000 series. The only difference I see between the xbr4 and the W4000 series is that the W4000 series has that internet module already built in where as the xbr4 you have to buy it for $299.


Does anyone have any other info on the new W4000 series?

I'm in the same boat. I've decided on a 52" Sony. I'm leaning towards waiting for the 2008 W4000 series because Sony's adding 120 Hz unlike last years W3000 line which is only 60 Hz. But I've also noticed that Sony hasn't mentioned anything about Deep Color compatibility on the upcoming W series, whereas last years series had it. If this is true, is this feature a big loss in terms of PQ?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top