AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just got the new Sony 400 disc Progressive Scan DVD changer. I have a Sony XBR400 HDTV, which is a a 4:3 set with a 16:9 enhanced mode. The problem is, when the TV detects a 480p signal, it defaults to "OFF" for 16:9 enhanced, and I have to go in to the menu and manually change it back to "ON" every time I turn on the TV!! There is an AUTO setting, but it only works for Interlaced signals. Does anyone have a work around for this?

thanks!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woodrow,

The problem is, when the TV receives a 480p signal, the "AUTO" detect feature is disabled, leaving me with only "ON" or "OFF". Trouble is, it defaults to "OFF" and doesn't save the setting. If I manually switch it to "ON", then change the video input or turn the TV off and then on again, it goes back to "OFF". A huge inconvenience, obviously. And the people at Sony kept trying to tell me that what I should do is set my brand new progressive scan DVD player to "interlaced"... hilarious.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
This is a design limitation inherent in the 480i vs. 480p signalling. However, there are other features that I think should have been implemented in this set. For example, disabling 16:9 squeeze on 1080i. Many broacasters are upconverting 4:3 SD and broadcasting it in 1080i with pillar boxes. The only way to view this full screen on the XBR400 is to change the STB to output 480i or 480p and use the zoom modes in the STB to get full screen 4:3. It would also be nice to get 4:3 1440x1080i out from a HTPC to display full screen. However, none of this can be done with this set without getting into the service mode JUMP nonsense.

- Mike

·
Registered
333 Posts
Quote:
This is a design limitation inherent in the 480i vs. 480p signalling. However, there are other features that I think should have been implemented in this set. For example, disabling 16:9 squeeze on 1080i. Many broacasters are upconverting 4:3 SD and broadcasting it in 1080i with pillar boxes. The only way to view this full screen on the XBR400 is to change the STB to output 480i or 480p and use the zoom modes in the STB to get full screen 4:3. It would also be nice to get 4:3 1440x1080i out from a HTPC to display full screen. However, none of this can be done with this set without getting into the service mode JUMP nonsense.
Can you explain this a little. This is exactly why I decided to venture over from the audio threads to the video thread. I've got an XBR400 and just got my HD box from Cablevision a little while ago. CableVision on Long Island only offers two HD channels, but when I watch them in 1080i the picture gets framed in black. So there's no way to get a piture in this resolution w/o getting that frame-in? I hope I'm talking about the correct thing here. I just cannot grasp all this video stuff as easy as the audio stuff.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by erikb333
Can you explain this a little. This is exactly why I decided to venture over from the audio threads to the video thread. I've got an XBR400 and just got my HD box from Cablevision a little while ago. CableVision on Long Island only offers two HD channels, but when I watch them in 1080i the picture gets framed in black. So there's no way to get a piture in this resolution w/o getting that frame-in? I hope I'm talking about the correct thing here. I just cannot grasp all this video stuff as easy as the audio stuff.
If you have black on all 4 sides of the picture during a SD program, the cable box is upconverting everything to 1080i and pillarboxing it. Because the signal is 1080i, the Sony TV is forcing the squeeze on which letterboxes it too. I suggest you look into the settings in the cable box. The only way to get full screen SD on this set is to send it in 480i or 480p.

For example, I record CBS on my MyHD card from 8-11pm. Survivor is SD, so I change the output from the card to 480p Zoom. Then, when I watch CSI, I change it back to 1080i. Since I have an IR keyboard, I can program the hotkey into my universal remote to change these settings with a single button press.

However, if you have black on all 4 sides during a HD program, then there is something really wrong with your setup. Blame probably still falls on the cable box though. Read the manual for the cable box and if you can't figure it out, tell us which box you have and maybe somebody can help.

- Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a sony xbr 400 36". am thinking of getting a hdtv receiver or the soon to come out hdtv directivo. i know the picture shrinks to compensate for hdtv signals, but how does it look. it does this now when i was a dvd and it looks great. nice and crisp. is an hdtv tv signal about the same on the xbr as watching a dvd?

greg

ft lauderdale

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not familiar with that model of Sony. If it accepts 1080i input signals, TRUE 1080i HDTV looks far superior to most DVDs which are only 480i/p SDTV.

After watching a GREAT HDTV program, when I switch over to watch a DVD, I am always disappointed and have to remind myself that I USED to think DVDs were awesome. They are now only adequate. (until you watch analog cable, and then DVDs look great again) It's all relative, but You will get spoiled in a hurry if you have a TRUE HD capable set while watching a TRUE HDTV program that was shot in HD. It is another great leap forward in the viewing experience

Go for it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Back to the orignal posters question:

Quote:
Hi! I just got the new Sony 400 disc Progressive Scan DVD changer. I have a Sony XBR400 HDTV, which is a a 4:3 set with a 16:9 enhanced mode. The problem is, when the TV detects a 480p signal, it defaults to "OFF" for 16:9 enhanced, and I have to go in to the menu and manually change it back to "ON" every time I turn on the TV!! There is an AUTO setting, but it only works for Interlaced signals. Does anyone have a work around for this?
This looks to me like your dvd player is set to recognize that your tv is a 4:3 set. So the dvd player is automatically resizing the dvd for you, so the tv is getting an already squashed signal, which is why the tv automatically turns off the 16:9 mode. In which case, if you do manually turn on 16:9 enhanced, it is probably vertically compressing the signal twice, once in the dvd player and once in the tv. This would most likely give you an extra skinny widescreen image.

I have had the 36xbr800 for about 5 months now. I have a sony progressive scan dvd player hooked up to it with component. It took me a while to figure this one out too, but now it works great.

I had to setup the dvd player to think that my tv is a 16:9 tv, not a 4:3. That way the dvd player sends out the widescreen signal directly, without altering the signal's ratio first. With the tv set on auto, it always detects widescreen dvds and will automatically go into 16:9 mode when the dvd starts. With this setup, if I manually turn off the 16:9 on the tv, it should show a vertically stretched image fullscreen. Where if they dvd player was told my tv is 4:3, it will always take the widescreen dvds and squash them down before it gets to the tv. So it would be widescreen, even though the TV's 16:9 mode is still off. Having the dvd player squash it down is not good, since it will not enhance the resolution like the TV does when it does the squash. I hope that is understandable, it is kind of hard to explain clearly. You will gain 33% greater detail when the tv does the vertical compression over the dvd player, which should make it obvious when you have it set correctly.

Basically you just have to make sure your dvd player thinks your TV is a 16:9, (so yes, you have to lie to the dvd player, tricksy lol) and if you can get the TV to stay in Auto mode, it should work as desired. It works great on mine.

Update:

Looks like the xbr400 model might be your problem though, it is possible that the tv is too old. I found this thread in another forum that looks similar to what you are experiencing:

well, since I can't post links yet, you can find it in the Sony TV section of the HDTVoice.com forums.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.