AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony XBR400 calibration question

307 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim Christian 
#1 ·
I have read a bit about ISF calibration on this and other forums. There are no certified ISF guys in Charlotte, the nearest is a couple of hours away. My question is, with a direct view TV like mine, is there any necessity to have a professional ISF calibration done to get the best possible picture? Can't I basically calibrate it myself with Avia or Video Essentials? I realize that RPTV's have hardware adjustment issues that benifit from having a pro come in, but do direct view TV's have the same needs? And, since my XBR is a HD-ready set, is there a whole separate calibration that needs to be done for the HD output?

#2 ·
Well first off, the XBR400's are not HDTV ready sets, they are HDTV compatible, the difference being that a TRUE HDTV ready set has a 16:9 aspect ratio display.

Now to the question of self-calibration, yes it is possible, anything has to be better than the poor factory setups on most TVs. Just remember to write all the original settings, just incase something screws up.

Be sure to read the How to Adjust a TV FAQ at this url, http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh/how2adj.html

The toughest calibration will be trying to get 6500K color temperature. Not for the weak of heart.

[This message has been edited by daredevil23 (edited 03-18-2001).]

#3 ·
archiguy,

I too followed the recommendations on Haukap's site and I'm really satisfied with the result.

I have an extra XBR 400 service manual for sale. I really recommend it if you'll be going into the service menu. Drop me an email if you're interested.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.