AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's finally time to upgrade our TV. I don't do this often so I want to try and make the right decision, any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

I am looking at these two:

Sony XBR55X850A

Samsung UN55F9000

Ignoring price, does anyone have a strong opinion on these two compared directly? I have to imagine they get compared often but struggled to find a thread or page. If there's already something out there discussing this at length, please point me in the right direction.

The space where we'll be placing the TV is 54" wide so a 55" TV is the largest we can get. Most of the 60" I looked at were just over 54" wide. It will go into a room that gets a fair amount of daylight and sound quality isn't relevant as it will be connected to an existing sound system.

It's my understanding that these came out in late 2013. Are there any newer models in this general size/price ballpark anticipated in the near future?

Whatever we will be purchasing is going to be a massive upgrade. This room has an 8 year old Sony KDF-E50A10 that has just absolutely and stubbornly refused to die - not even a dead lamp. Given the extreme age and it still working well (will be giving it to a family member) I am feeling pretty good about Sony but it does appear we got lucky on that one's reliability.

Thanks in advance and if I blindly missed this thread already existing I do apologize.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Been reading reviews the last few days. Another option is to skip 4K for now. The UN55F8000 is I believe a year old at this point, but there are some very good deals on them today, found via the deal forum here. My thought was to try and future proof since we don't buy TVs often, but given this is going into a general purpose living room and not a theatre room perhaps the F8000 would be a smarter option.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Excellent question...

I just got back from from the A/V store and was really looking at the Sony 65" X900A - and the sales guy there directed me to the Samsung F9000...

He was saying that in his opinion, the F9000 is the best TV out there today.

The picture it was playing was great - but of course it is the 4K video-feed provided directly by Samsung...

When I asked if they could do a comparison between the Sony and the Samsung using the same feed - their answer was no...

So, pretty hard to tell which has a better picture...

The only professional review I have read where they compared the two - the decision was that it was pretty much a wash..

They said that the Sony had better color-richness and saturation, etc..  But the Samsung had slightly better detail, etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah from my perspective they both seem like great TVs with great pictures but I get a slant toward the Samsung from most people that I ask.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You also should keep in mind that any 4k tv that comes without HDMI 2.0 would most likely be a mistake. The nice thing about the samsung is its "plug in kit" will be upgradeable in the future.

Also, right now, any 4k tv purchase in my opinion must excel at its upscaling capability

1 - 6 of 6 Posts