sony xbr or samsung 850

• sony xbr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • samsung 850

Votes: 0 0.0%

sony xbr6 vs samsung 850 (52 inch)

4K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  tim100 
#1 ·
one more poll. I had a poll up with 4 tv's, I have been wondering how these 2 would do head to head. there is alot of talk about comparing these 2 models, so how about a poll?

My observations:

pros: brighter screen, better colors, better design, very thin

cons: glossy screen alot of glare and mirror type reflections

xbr6

pros sharp picture, does a good job with non hd channels, matte screen

cons: not thin, glass only at bottom, design

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2007 /forum/post/15418694

There is a game mode for both models except for XBR6, you can make adjustments while you can't with 850 (or any model from Samsung).

sure xbr6 has Game Mode. primarily it disengages any extra processing, such as MotionFlow, so that response time is at its fastest.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL40XBR6.pdf
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/spe...0XBR6_mksp.pdf

TVbc

edit add i just reread your post, differently, and i see you mean that the xbr6 can be adjusted while the other can't..

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim100 /forum/post/15418508

I read in one of the posts that the 850 does not have game mode. What does that mean? I have a ps3 and have never used game mode on my older xbr4.

Since you have already owned the 850, I find it kinda odd that you are asking us if it has a game mode? You didn't check that when you owned it? Since you have already taken it back for an XBR6, why start another poll? You are in a better position to decide than we are, since they have both been in your home environment.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099861
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...382&highlight=

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/15420270

Since you have already owned the 850, I find it kinda odd that you are asking us if it has a game mode? You didn't check that when you owned it? Since you have already taken it back for an XBR6, why start another poll? You are in a better position to decide than we are, since they have both been in your home environment.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1099861
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...382&highlight=

Never checked for game mode.

Your right I had both. I originally wanted the sony but it was out of stock everywhere. I have always been a sony guy too. I got the samsung it look fantastic then the sony turned up in stock at bestbuy. they got 2 and sold out in an hour. i could not help myself so i got the sony, now that I have the sony and can compare it to the samsung, the samsung had a better picture. looking at tvs at best buy or cc is worthless. its a pain loading up a tv to return. I just wanted to know what others thought of these 2 tvs.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.whatshisname /forum/post/15418532

The XBR4 has a matte screen so no game mode is needed.

Game mode has nothing to do with a matte or glossy screen. Game mode just gets rid of a lot of the video processing/enhancing features to reduce input lag. I can't speak for the 850 but when setting a 650 to game mode, it really does reduce input lag by quite a bit. It obviously depends on the type of game you play, but if you play fast twitch games like fighting games, you should definitely notice the difference. HOWEVER, when setting it to game mode, PQ does take quite a hit. Something to take into consideration when purchasing a Samsung LCD. I don't have experience with the Sony LCDs so I can't comment on them.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim100 /forum/post/15426197

Never checked for game mode.

Your right I had both. I originally wanted the sony but it was out of stock everywhere. I have always been a sony guy too. I got the samsung it look fantastic then the sony turned up in stock at bestbuy. they got 2 and sold out in an hour. i could not help myself so i got the sony, now that I have the sony and can compare it to the samsung, the samsung had a better picture. looking at tvs at best buy or cc is worthless. its a pain loading up a tv to return. I just wanted to know what others thought of these 2 tvs.

I hope you find what you are looking for, as I am contemplating the same sets, in addition to the Panny 850 and Pioneer 5020. I have a 46XBR4 just like yours, but it drives me nuts watching movies in the dark on it. My neighbors 650 Samsung LCD is better at black levels, but not enough to justify the purchase. At this point, I am leaning plasma.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/15426633

I hope you find what you are looking for, as I am contemplating the same sets, in addition to the Panny 850 and Pioneer 5020. I have a 46XBR4 just like yours, but it drives me nuts watching movies in the dark on it. My neighbors 650 Samsung LCD is better at black levels, but not enough to justify the purchase. At this point, I am leaning plasma.

And then you'll have the problem with plasma whites looking gray.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1dude57 /forum/post/15426633

I am starting to wonder if I will find what I am looking for too lol. My 46xbr4 is at the shop being repaired. I really liked that tv. The new xbr are not as nice as the xbr4.

#25 ·
I am getting more and more unhappy with sony. my xbr does not look bright enough to me. I was watching the fiesta bowl and my guests told me to turn a light on due to the lack of brightness. Also, my 46xbr4 needs a new panel and my 32 in s series has a line of pixels out. I have never had these problems with lcd screen. I know its bad luck but it sucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.