AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,I saw the xbr700 tonight at Ultimate Electronics complete with cheese and wine served by the Sony reps.My initial reaction was WOW look at that!

Upon closer examination, I have a couple of observations.First the set looked terrible with the hi def loop,after one of the store employees helped the rep put the set to 1080i the picture was incredible,absolutely fantastic.

I had the Sony rep put in a DVD to watch.Here is the where the set has some problems.It seems to have the same problems that I have seen in the xbr400's,specifically a lot of pixelations and artifacts around the edges.This was apparent on all modes except for 1080i.We tried many different configs with no real improvement.

Don't get me wrong the picture did not suck,but I am very fussy about visual detail.I have a 40" Mitsubishi tube tv right now and even though it does have scan lines the picture is much sharper and clearer than the xbr400.

The set also had bowing on the shadowbox edges,a common complaint on all the larger wega's.Although I think this could be calibrated by a sony tech.

The detail of the set itself was very nice,it looks like a million bucks..very clean looking.

There was a 38" Rca right next to the xbr700,in 1080i mode both the tv's had great pics...On any other source the rca was clearly sharper.I am hoping that maybe the set had a preproduction problem that will be fixed before final production.There is no way to know till they come out in stores for real.....

Bottom line if the picture would come even close to the hi-def clarity on any other digital input this TV would be worth every penny(the Store price was $3499,and they were taking orders,they even sold a couple..delivery end of Sept.I will hold final judgement until I see the production set in action.I really want this set to be my next TV.

One side note,they also just got in the new 43" 1080I projection TV KP-43HT20 .Nice tv very bright.Nice size as well..but the image was a bit to soft for my taste.My friend who went with me liked it so well he ordered one for $2099.And for the person who asked me if the $1000 difference between the 40" and 36"is worth it.Believe me it is night and day.Pay the extra money.

Ransome

------------------

Who are you going to believe,me or your lying eyes?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.