AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I love radios and am satisfied with my trusty Sangean HDR-1. However, I am very curious about how the Sony table radio XDR-S3HD compares to it.

Specifically, how does the AM and FM reception on the Sony compare to the Sangean? The one thing I don't like on the Sangean is the little credit card sized remote that has a bad feel. Also, I don't now how easy it will be to replace the battery.

The interface on the Sangean unit itself, without the remote, is pretty bad, as well. For example, to get the radio to scan, you must press the button three times to get it to scan. At any rate, how does the Sony unit compare to the Sangean, especially the AM and FM reception?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, not yet, I still keep coming back here to read any updates. There are about 90 good reviews at Amazon of this unit. The things I would like to improve upon from the Sangean are:

The HDR has a remote that feels lousy to use.

It is awkward to operate and tune from the on unit knob.

I must reset it at least once a day.

I must switch a button in back to listen to news programs.

Th AM has a "hashy" interference sound. I don't know if this is a side effect of HD radio.

I feel the AM reception could be better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought this radio from Fry's a few months ago for really cheap after a rebate from hdradio.com. It is the best tabletop radio I have ever had (sensitivity and clarity are very good) but it has a two serious flaws. First, every time it loses power it forgets everything - station presets, tone settings, alarm setting, and of course the time. Second, but more annoying than serious, manual tuning on FM goes in increments of 0.1 MHz even though all stations are separated by 0.2 MHz, so it takes 2 clicks of the tuning knob to get to the next potential station.

There are probably HD radios with better user interfaces out there. Sony should have used non-volatile memory. Don't mourn the loss of this model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.