AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 387 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
This is my only issue with this awesome TV that it can neither play 8k videos from youtube and nor from a USB drive. Based on the system specs of this TV, I don't think it will ever get this functionality to play 8k content locally. It will only be able to receive an 8K signal on its HDMI 4 input. So, if someone is hoping that one day we'll get a firmware update to play 8k content locally on this TV, he/she will be disappointed.
I agree but did not let this stop me from getting it. I use other devices like Apple TV to stream my content anyway.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
My tv arrives next weekend and I need to order a longer IEC power cord to run it to my power conditioner. Unless the stock cable is 10 feet or more?

Can someone tell me what gauge the power cord is? I’m looking at the 10 gauge D'Addario ($25) and a 16 gauge Audioquest z3 ($360). I know this tv draws high current for the 4000 nits, so a quality cable seems important.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own a PS4 pro and have played God of War 3 on this TV. I have already finished the game on my previous 65 inches OLED C7. But playing on this TV in HDR is one of the best experiences ever. I set the game to play in 4K instead of its performance mode, where it lowers the graphic fidelity and pushes 60 Hz. For GOW type games, this TV will give you the best experience with the BEST HDR highlights. However, I wouldn't play the first-person shooter on this TV online, but you for casual single-player mode, no problem. I can say that because I play battlefield 5 and COD on my PC at 240 HZ monitor. I have tried playing games from my PC on this TV but couldn't get an output. I believe it was because of the longer HDMI cable. I was using 100 ft HDMI optical cable to output in native 8k from PC to this TV. Youtube and other things were working fine but the moment I start a game in 8K, the whole screen would turn green and zoom in. So, I ended up returning the cable.
Wow, that sounds perfect for my use case. I don't play first person shooters so that shouldn't be an issue. More into RPG/action type games. Playing PS5 is going to be incredible on this TV :) I am really hoping for one more price drop or sale from the current price and I may be tempted to pick one up.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Wow, that sounds perfect for my use case. I don't play first person shooters so that shouldn't be an issue. More into RPG/action type games. Playing PS5 is going to be incredible on this TV :) I am really hoping for one more price drop or sale from the current price and I may be tempted to pick one up.
You can get a bit off by going with independent dealers, but I’d caution against waiting too long. My understanding is that it is EOL next month and stock is already low.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can get a bit off by going with independent dealers, but I’d caution against waiting too long. My understanding is that it is EOL next month and stock is already low.
Good to know. I was waiting for the release of the Vizio P Quantum X 85 inch but the delay has me seriously considering the z9g. It is a pretty penny but I keep my TV's for a long time so I probably won't regret it in the long run.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm debating between this and the Oled CX 77. Currently have a 65 C6 Oled. Can anyone in here comment on this vs their experiences with oled? I realize the fundmental differences. Removing size from the equation(hard to do I'm sure), for those who have experience with both, which tv do you prefer for all around viewing? gaming? and hdr movie watching?

While I genuinely love my c6, it doesn't give me the same pleasure my Kuro did before. HDR always has felt a little underwhelming too. The color always seemed a little plastic to me too. I'm also kinda waiting for the price to drop maybe a sliver more since I'm not really in a hurry. I am imagine the CX it's mostly the same as my C6 with some small differences, plus 12 more inches. While this would be something different.. not sure if it'd be better.

·
Vendor
27,090 Posts
Good to know. I was waiting for the release of the Vizio P Quantum X 85 inch but the delay has me seriously considering the z9g. It is a pretty penny but I keep my TV's for a long time so I probably won't regret it in the long run.
These are around, but there are not a ton of them that's for sure....

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I'm debating between this and the Oled CX 77. Currently have a 65 C6 Oled. Can anyone in here comment on this vs their experiences with oled? I realize the fundmental differences. Removing size from the equation(hard to do I'm sure), for those who have experience with both, which tv do you prefer for all around viewing? gaming? and hdr movie watching?

While I genuinely love my c6, it doesn't give me the same pleasure my Kuro did before. HDR always has felt a little underwhelming too. The color always seemed a little plastic to me too. I'm also kinda waiting for the price to drop maybe a sliver more since I'm not really in a hurry. I am imagine the CX it's mostly the same as my C6 with some small differences, plus 12 more inches. While this would be something different.. not sure if it'd be better.
I also have an OLED but feel better that several people in both of the Z9G threads and various posts on other review sites have indicated that they prefer the Z9G. Try watching the HDTV Test review on YouTube if you haven’t. But as I noted to the guy above, I think these are EOL next month and there already is a shortage. Be careful not to wait too long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have an OLED but feel better that several people in both of the Z9G threads and various posts on other review sites have indicated that they prefer the Z9G. Try watching the HDTV Test review on YouTube if you haven’t. But as I noted to the guy above, I think these are EOL next month and there already is a shortage. Be careful not to wait too long.
Does EOL means a successor is on the horizon? Since Z8H is basically Z9F with 8K, probably Sony won't remove BMD from their next Master series flagship?

85 Z9G is already EOL in China and only 98 model is still accepting orders.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Does EOL means a successor is on the horizon? Since Z8H is basically Z9F with 8K, probably Sony won't remove BMD from their next Master series flagship?

85 Z9G is already EOL in China and only 98 model is still accepting orders.
Maybe. But it also could be that the 85Z8H is the successor for the moment and that the next Z9 series is in the I or J model set. Interestingly, the 98Z9G isn’t EOL this year as far as I am aware, it’s only the 85. I would think that if a successor were nearly here that the 98 would EOL as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe. But it also could be that the 85Z8H is the successor for the moment and that the next Z9 series is in the I or J model set. Interestingly, the 98Z9G isn’t EOL this year as far as I am aware, it’s only the 85. I would think that if a successor were nearly here that the 98 would EOL as well.
Z8H cuts the backlight zones in half and also lowered the peak brightness, but maintains almost the same price as Z9G for 85 inch model.

Might wait a bit to see if Sony will launch A9H with Z9G successor (Z9I or some special designation). Sony launched no flagship this year so I have hopes that they might still do a mid-year launch.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I have the lg oled and got the Z9g this year. I like both - the oled and Z9g - but I am 100% happy with my decision to get the Z9g for my home theater - bigger picture, brighter, 8k, beautiful PQ, Dolby vision - nothing to complain at all as far as I’m concerned. There really is no reason not to get the Z9g in my opinion from amongst the current offerings from various manufacturers.

Reactions: jesyjames

·
Registered
102 Posts
How were you trying to send 8k from your PC? DisplayPort to HDMI cable? I don’t think any graphics cards have HDMI 2.1 ports yet.
My PC has RTX 2080Ti which has HDMI 2.0b port and can send 8K 30Hz 4.2.0. And the connection was straight forward. Just set the port specification on the TV to accept 8K signal and you see 8k resolution option in Windows 10. After that I played a lot of youtube videos in 8K. But I think because of 4.2.0 chorma, I didn't see a big difference compared to the upscaling of the TV. E.g., I think the best 8K videos available on youtube are from Jacob & Katie Schwarz channel. When I play these on TV, the tv plays in 4K and upscaled to 8K. When I played it from PC in 8K, due to the lack of HDR & full chroma, the PC quality was not better than the HDR upscaled from TV. After than experience, I didn't bother trying youtube native 8K again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi All! new guy here...reading through these, I am happy to know that I am not the only one spending this much on a TV 🙂

I am hoping someone can help with these questions.

Q: Has anyone mounted this TV? How difficult is it?

Q: The fact that you can't stream or use USB to watch native 8k videos, does that mean I can only watch native 8k with i.e. a PS5? How about if I use a Fire TV or Apple TV, would I be able to stream 8k videos without upscaling?

Q: Is there support, currently for 8k 60hz? or is this a future upgrade?

Q: Calibration - is this something I can easily do myself or should I pay to have someone do it, the service includes "break in" which is a hardware/software professional test before shipment.

Q: Does it support VRR? ALLM?

Q: I am debating between the Z9G or the Z8H or the Q900TS. Any suggestions? I love the peak brightness of the Z9G MDB, can't think of any reason to get the other two (plus at the moment the Z9G is less expensive)

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi All! new guy here...reading through these, I am happy to know that I am not the only one spending this much on a TV 🙂

I am hoping someone can help with these questions.

Q: Has anyone mounted this TV? How difficult is it?

Q: The fact that you can't stream or use USB to watch native 8k videos, does that mean I can only watch native 8k with i.e. a PS5? How about if I use a Fire TV or Apple TV, would I be able to stream 8k videos without upscaling?

Q: Is there support, currently for 8k 60hz? or is this a future upgrade?

Q: Calibration - is this something I can easily do myself or should I pay to have someone do it, the service includes "break in" which is a hardware/software professional test before shipment.

Q: Does it support VRR? ALLM?

Q: I am debating between the Z9G or the Z8H or the Q900TS. Any suggestions? I love the peak brightness of the Z9G MDB, can't think of any reason to get the other two (plus at the moment the Z9G is less expensive)

Thanks in advance!!
1. I have mounted this tv. I installed the mount on the wall and when delivery people came, I requested them to put the hinges behind the tv instead of feet. But it is a very heavy tv so make sure to get very sturdy wall mount. Second, make sure to use atleast 3 wall studs for tv mounting. Because TV is almost 160lbs plus the weight of the mount and 80lbs per stud is the safe approach. Make sure to check the weight restrictions of the mount rather than how many inches can it support.

2. As of now, apple or fire or any android or any other box do not support 8K output. I’ve tried a couple of boxes who claimed 8K. But when u connect them and go to settings to see the supported resolution,u see only 4K. So, yes new game consoles seems to be the next possible way of streaming in 8K.

3. According to HDTV yes. In his video he said that Sony claimed 8K at 60Hz.

4. I did calibration myself and i am a newbie when it comes to this. U just need a $200 meter and $140 calman app for Sony that support Autocal. For instructions see youtube videos and you ll be good. By default Custom is decently accurate.

5. It doesn’t support. It only support eARC and 8K 60Hz.

6. Coming from a C7 oled, I am loving this TV and can’t go back to the current state of oled. I would advise for now, buy a tv that gives a very clear ROI on 4K content. This TV does 4000nits which is just awesome and even make SDR looks great. With superb upscalin this tv stands out in the crowed. And we haven’t seen its 8K potential.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1. I have mounted this tv. I installed the mount on the wall and when delivery people came, I requested them to put the hinges behind the tv instead of feet. But it is a very heavy tv so make sure to get very sturdy wall mount. Second, make sure to use atleast 3 wall studs for tv mounting. Because TV is almost 160lbs plus the weight of the mount and 80lbs per stud is the safe approach. Make sure to check the weight restrictions of the mount rather than how many inches can it support.

2. As of now, apple or fire or any android or any other box do not support 8K output. I’ve tried a couple of boxes who claimed 8K. But when u connect them and go to settings to see the supported resolution,u see only 4K. So, yes new game consoles seems to be the next possible way of streaming in 8K.

4. I did calibration myself and i am a newbie when it comes to this. U just need a $200 meter and $140 calman app for Sony that support Autocal. For instructions see youtube videos and you ll be good. By default Custom is decently accurate.

6. Coming from a C7 oled, I am loving this TV and can’t go back to the current state of oled. I would advise for now, buy a tv that gives a very clear ROI on 4K content. This TV does 4000nits which is just awesome and even make SDR looks great. With superb upscalin this tv stands out in the crowed. And we haven’t seen its 8K potential.
Thanks, fida! really appreciate your answers as well as the calibration recommendation.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts

There is some uncertainty on #3 . Yes, HDTV Test said 8k/60, as did flatpanelsHD via a later update (https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1581346800), but the official Sony site still says 8k/30.

Disappointing that it won’t support VRR. Hopefully Sony will change their minds and include it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
181 - 200 of 387 Posts