AVS Forum banner

201 - 220 of 353 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
That would be very disappointing since they've repeatedly said they will add 8K60 and 4K120 to Z9G with firmware update.
So, to be clear, I meant that I doubt that they will add VRR and QFT. Sony's specification page already lists 4K120 and it has been reported that 8K60 is either already enabled or will be provided in an update. I don't know if that is official, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't added.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My tv arrives next weekend and I need to order a longer IEC power cord to run it to my power conditioner. Unless the stock cable is 10 feet or more?

Can someone tell me what gauge the power cord is? I’m looking at the 10 gauge D'Addario ($25) and a 16 gauge Audioquest z3 ($360). I know this tv draws high current for the 4000 nits, so a quality cable seems important.
Just so you know the power cord is a somewhat unique connector (See picture). It appears to be a C19 connector with only 2 pins instead of 3 (no ground). The stock cable is 14AWG and is only 6 feet long.

Hopefully this helps and you can source a longer one. They do make C19 extension cables as well.

I also found this site that has a detailed diagram of the screen dimensions, mounting hole locations, etc.
http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/premium-television/Z9G.php

Attachments

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Just so you know the power cord is a somewhat unique connector (See picture). It appears to be a C19 connector with only 2 pins instead of 3 (no ground). The stock cable is 14AWG and is only 6 feet long.

Hopefully this helps and you can source a longer one. They do make C19 extension cables as well.

I also found this site that has a detailed diagram of the screen dimensions, mounting hole locations, etc.
http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/premium-television/Z9G.php
Thanks so much. Is the other end a standard 3-pin plug?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks so much. Is the other end a standard 3-pin plug?
The other end is a standard U.S. two prong plug. The cable does not have a ground.

I think you might be able to use an C19 power cord but the end that plugs into the TV has very little room so none of the aftermarket connectors would work. They are too long.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
The other end is a standard U.S. two prong plug. The cable does not have a ground.

I think you might be able to use an C19 power cord but the end that plugs into the TV has very little room so none of the aftermarket connectors would work. They are too long.
Thanks again. It sounds like the way to go would be to use the normal TV power cord with an extension cord. Alternatively, I could give up on using the power conditioner, plug the TV into the wall using the normal cord, and get a whole home surge protector.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
Thanks again. It sounds like the way to go would be to use the normal TV power cord with an extension cord. Alternatively, I could give up on using the power conditioner, plug the TV into the wall using the normal cord, and get a whole home surge protector.
Many ways to skin a cat, remember surge can travel thru HDMI as well, so technically you are never fully protected unless you protect that HDMI.....

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
1. I have mounted this tv. I installed the mount on the wall and when delivery people came, I requested them to put the hinges behind the tv instead of feet. But it is a very heavy tv so make sure to get very sturdy wall mount. Second, make sure to use atleast 3 wall studs for tv mounting. Because TV is almost 160lbs plus the weight of the mount and 80lbs per stud is the safe approach. Make sure to check the weight restrictions of the mount rather than how many inches can it support.

2. As of now, apple or fire or any android or any other box do not support 8K output. I’ve tried a couple of boxes who claimed 8K. But when u connect them and go to settings to see the supported resolution,u see only 4K. So, yes new game consoles seems to be the next possible way of streaming in 8K.

3. According to HDTV yes. In his video he said that Sony claimed 8K at 60Hz.

4. I did calibration myself and i am a newbie when it comes to this. U just need a $200 meter and $140 calman app for Sony that support Autocal. For instructions see youtube videos and you ll be good. By default Custom is decently accurate.

5. It doesn’t support. It only support eARC and 8K 60Hz.

6. Coming from a C7 oled, I am loving this TV and can’t go back to the current state of oled. I would advise for now, buy a tv that gives a very clear ROI on 4K content. This TV does 4000nits which is just awesome and even make SDR looks great. With superb upscalin this tv stands out in the crowed. And we haven’t seen its 8K potential.
On #3 , today my dealer’s Sony rep confirmed with Sony’s TV Group that the tv will not currently support 8k60 but will be upgraded later via firmware to support that resolution. There is not much 8k content right now, so the firmware timing probably isn’t much of an issue for anyone yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
youtube 7680x4320 resolution not showing

Hi guys

when i play 8k youtube video on my mackbook pro, i have an option to choose 7680x4320 resolution.
but on the android tv software on the z9g i have only 2160p
those 4320p works for you on the tv?
here is a an example clip:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi guys

when i play 8k youtube video on my mackbook pro, i have an option to choose 7680x4320 resolution.
but on the android tv software on the z9g i have only 2160p
those 4320p works for you on the tv?
here is a an example clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74zpibIdB24
As of now, this TV can't play 8K youtube video in 8K and it only plays in 4K and then upscale to 8K. Plus, you can't download these 8K videos from youtube on a hard drive, and connect it to the TV USB, hoping to play these videos in 8K on TV. No, you can't either. So, the only option is to have an 8K player like PS5 or Macbook Pro that will send an 8K signal to the TV.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
As of now, this TV can't play 8K youtube video in 8K and it only plays in 4K and then upscale to 8K. Plus, you can't download these 8K videos from youtube on a hard drive, and connect it to the TV USB, hoping to play these videos in 8K on TV. No, you can't either. So, the only option is to have an 8K player like PS5 or Macbook Pro that will send an 8K signal to the TV.
The MacBook Pro or any other 18Gbps device is going to send only 8-bit 4:2:0 30fps though, correct? I doubt it’ll look great.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
I am in the market for an 85" set. Was thinking about the Q900TS or Q950TS as I have enjoyed my Q9FN...

Am now thinking about the Sony.

Is there any logical reason to buy a Z8H over the Z9G? I am at a bit of a loss seeing these going for so much less than the Z8H when the specs clearly show the Z9G as a superior set.

I understand the EOL for the Z9G, but I have to think that Sony is going to come out with a revision to this model with upgraded HDMI specs. Of course, speculation.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I am in the market for an 85" set. Was thinking about the Q900TS or Q950TS as I have enjoyed my Q9FN...

Is there any logical reason to buy a Z8H over the Z9G? I am at a bit of a loss seeing these going for so much less than the Z8H when the specs clearly show the Z9G as a superior set.

I understand the EOL for the Z9G, but I have to think that Sony is going to come out with a revision to this model with upgraded HDMI specs. Of course, speculation.
One thing to keep in mind is that Sony did release a Z9H in Japan earlier this year, but the intel that we have suggests that it is just a Z9G with an over the air 8k tuner for the Olympic broadcast. I have seen articles suggesting that it has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports, but I also saw articles saying that for the Z9G. The latter was incorrect and the former may be incorrect as well.

The point is that if Sony released a slightly modified Z9G as the Z9H in Japan, I’d guess that there won’t be a replacement for the Z9G until at least next year. That is roughly in line with how long they waited to replace the Z9D. The fact that the 98Z9G is not going EOL until next year also contributes to that theory. But it’s just a theory and could be very wrong.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts

I have other comment on your point about the Z8H. I understand why people who need a 75 inch set would pick the Z8H over the A9G, but I am not sure why anyone would pick the 85Z8H over the 85Z9G when the Z9G is currently selling for less than the Z8H will. The Z8H has half the dimming zones and no MBD while getting only half as bright. Aesthetics maybe? I suppose you could also argue that it’s guaranteed to support 8k60 because it supports it out of the box, whereas you have to trust Sony to actually update the Z9G firmware. Maybe a longer firmware support period?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Z9G Inventory - Which Dealers, please

so, should I buy this TV? some shops still have them. doesn't seem the new ones are better than this set
Can you tell me which Dealers still have a 85" Z9G to buy? I've spoke with multiple Sony employees ~2 weeks ago and they only had several left at their "secret" Sony warehouse. I know of a high-end dealer near you in NJ that had 3 last week, but when I call him later today...they may be gone. Another 3 he got ~ 3 weeks ago were sold 1 day after they came in.

As you may know, the Z9G has many advantages over the soon-to-be released Z8H....Z9G has BMD, LED backlighting vs. zone, less or no tone mapping due to 4k nits capability, final QC at Sony who then sets the white point balance since it is a Master Series, etc.

Also, Sony insiders said there may not be a later this year release of additional new TV models like they always do, as a result of CoronaVrius disruptions to retail and their two manufacturing plants....Mexico and Malayasia.

Your help would be appreciated....

Chuck
S. Florida
Currently own three large Sony flagships

·
Registered
102 Posts
The MacBook Pro or any other 18Gbps device is going to send only 8-bit 4:2:0 30fps though, correct? I doubt it’ll look great.
Yes, you are right and I have already tried it with my PC using RTX 2080Ti. The upscaled video looked as good as or better than the native 8K video (4:2:0 & No HDR). So, unless we have a good 8K player that can send full chroma, upscaled is good enough.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Still debating between this and 77" Oled. Ruled out the Samsung 950ts. Feedback on that is wildly all over the place. Got offered a pretty good deal for the z9g through greentoe which helps bridge the gap a little bit between the Oled and this. I just worry the blooming would drive me crazy, but then I think... "how often do I really watch dark movies?" It's tough! Made tougher by the fact that I can't see one in person.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Still debating between this and 77" Oled. Ruled out the Samsung 950ts. Feedback on that is wildly all over the place. Got offered a pretty good deal for the z9g through greentoe which helps bridge the gap a little bit between the Oled and this. I just worry the blooming would drive me crazy, but then I think... "how often do I really watch dark movies?" It's tough! Made tougher by the fact that I can't see one in person.
Is this website reliable? from your experience. I was about to purchase one from VE but it was recently sold...so shopping around.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts

Same boat Jesse. But I keep thinking how nice and clean that 950ts would look on the wall and its gotta be better than my Q9FN (which I love) even if it doesn't live up to the hype. It's probably not worth the scratch.

The Z9G is would be a an awesome display, but it is rather chunky.

I have a 77" OLED in my loft that simply wouldn't do well in my brightly lit family room. That is where the Q9FN is really outstanding, but I need an 85" to fill out the wall as I am doing a lot of redecorating.

201 - 220 of 353 Posts