AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 392 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
With the single HDMI 2.1 port being a different port from the ARC port, how is everyone planning to do HDMI switching once HDMI 2.1 AV processors and receivers are available? Would running cables to outputs 1 and 2 of any such receiver allow you to get the benefit of both the ARC and HDMI 2.1 port provided that the TV is displaying on the HDMI 2.1 port? Or is everyone planning to give up on internal TV sounds or use an optical cable?

·
Registered
102 Posts
With the single HDMI 2.1 port being a different port from the ARC port, how is everyone planning to do HDMI switching once HDMI 2.1 AV processors and receivers are available? Would running cables to outputs 1 and 2 of any such receiver allow you to get the benefit of both the ARC and HDMI 2.1 port provided that the TV is displaying on the HDMI 2.1 port? Or is everyone planning to give up on internal TV sounds or use an optical cable?
I am planning to use the Denon AVR-X3700H with PS5/Xbox depending upon which is better in terms of 8K handling. It has the 8K passthrough, so TV will get its 8K signal and it also has eARC and TV can be connected to its eARC. But if anyone is planning to use more than one 8K source then that person has to use HDMI 2.1 switch and connect it to HDMI 4. Again, if you are using eARC soundbar e.g., Sonos ARC then you can connect TVs eARC port to Soundbar and you'll get everything. I think it covers all possible cases where you get 8K and lossless audio

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I am planning to use the Denon AVR-X3700H with PS5/Xbox depending upon which is better in terms of 8K handling. It has the 8K passthrough, so TV will get its 8K signal and it also has eARC and TV can be connected to its eARC. But if anyone is planning to use more than one 8K source then that person has to use HDMI 2.1 switch and connect it to HDMI 4. Again, if you are using eARC soundbar e.g., Sonos ARC then you can connect TVs eARC port to Soundbar and you'll get everything. I think it covers all possible cases where you get 8K and lossless audio
But in the first situation you’d have to pass through 8k to HDMI port 4 for the TV to receive the 8k signal. But HDMI port 4 doesn’t support ARC, so the Denon won’t receive return sound. How will you resolve that?

Your second solution works, but only for one 8k device. If you have 2, you cannot connect them this way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
But in the first situation you’d have to pass through 8k to HDMI port 4 for the TV to receive the 8k signal. But HDMI port 4 doesn’t support ARC, so the Denon won’t receive return sound. How will you resolve that?

Your second solution works, but only for one 8k device. If you have 2, you cannot connect them this way.
Passthrough means that the TV will get the full signal and if you connect TV's eARC to let's say Sonos ARC's eARC input. You'll be able to pass full lossless audio from TV to your soundbar.
Moreover, if you connect PS5 to Denon receiver, the receiver will passthrough 8K signal to TV but at the same time, if you have Atmos speaker setup with Denon AV receiver, the receiver can still extract the lossless audio from the signal and play it on your Atmos setup.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Passthrough means that the TV will get the full signal and if you connect TV's eARC to let's say Sonos ARC's eARC input. You'll be able to pass full lossless audio from TV to your soundbar.
Moreover, if you connect PS5 to Denon receiver, the receiver will passthrough 8K signal to TV but at the same time, if you have Atmos speaker setup with Denon AV receiver, the receiver can still extract the lossless audio from the signal and play it on your Atmos setup.
I’m probably not explaining myself well. I’ll try again.

In your scenario, you are connecting the PS5 to an HDMI 2.1 port on the Denon. Then you are connecting the output on the Denon to HDMI port 4 on the Z9G to pass through the 8k signal to the TV. However, the HDMI port 4 that you’ve now connected to the Denon isn’t the ARC port, so the TV will not be sending sound back to the Denon.

If you instead connect the Denon to HDMI port 3 on the Z9G then you will receive ARC sound in the Denon (eARC in fact) but you will not pass through 8k to the Z9G because HDMI port 3 on the Z9G does not support 8k.

I see only three ways of fixing this:

First, you could connect the ARC output of the Denon to HDMI port 3 and a second output of the Denon to HDMI port 4. That will give you both ARC and 8k but it requires 2 outputs on the AVR and it assumes that both outputs to the same display will work in this fashion.

Second, you could use an optical cable instead of HDMI. This may be the easiest solution but you lose sound formats and I’m not sure how easy it will be to set up on the AVR.

Third, you could use a Thenaudio Sharc eARC device, but that requires tuning to that HDMI input to get sound.

·
Registered
28 Posts

In your scenario, you are connecting the PS5 to an HDMI 2.1 port on the Denon. Then you are connecting the output on the Denon to HDMI port 4 on the Z9G to pass through the 8k signal to the TV. However, the HDMI port 4 that you’ve now connected to the Denon isn’t the ARC port, so the TV will not be sending sound back to the Denon.

If you instead connect the Denon to HDMI port 3 on the Z9G then you will receive ARC sound in the Denon (eARC in fact) but you will not pass through 8k to the Z9G because HDMI port 3 on the Z9G does not support 8k.

First, you could connect the ARC output of the Denon to HDMI port 3 and a second output of the Denon to HDMI port 4. That will give you both ARC and 8k but it requires 2 outputs on the AVR and it assumes that both outputs to the same display will work in this fashion.

Second, you could use an optical cable instead of HDMI. This may be the easiest solution but you lose sound formats and I’m not sure how easy it will be to set up on the AVR.

Third, you could use a Thenaudio Sharc eARC device, but that requires tuning to that HDMI input to get sound.

I thought the HDMI 2.1 was the eARC port 🤔

I tried searching for the "reference manual" in Sony's support site, but was not able to find it...Do you or anyone know where I can find it?

thanks,

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've owned the Z9G since the end of May and have been very happy with it. Thanks to those contributing to the thread to help me make up my mind. I had very briefly owned the Q900TS, but mine was a dud (DSE, dimming issues) despite all the glowing reviews. I'll keep my focus on the Sony here however.

I also went the route of plasma, to OLED, and now to LED. I was never blown away by the OLED and always thought something was missing. That TV ended up on the main floor where the kids watch cartoons everyday and it now has massive burn in. My plasma in fact still works and is only being retired by the excellent picture quality of the Z9G. Seems I could never get the 4K OLED to look as good as my old plasma - always had some fuzziness around the edges of anything moving. Also I could never get the grass color on a football field to look realistic for some reason on the OLED.

My only complaint now with the Z9G is the variability of the source content. Despite nearly everything being released as "4K UHD", there's jaw dropping image quality and there's terrible looking stuff. I expect that when old movies are re-released in 4K (Predator, Top Gun, ...etc.), but even the newer stuff, including streaming services, seem to have widely varying UHD quality. DirecTV used to be premium quality, but even the 1080 HD stuff looks pretty poor now (didn't notice that on my 50" plasma). Next step is to drop it and start streaming as overall the content quality is much better, I'm kind of surprised by that. Guess my point is the Sony Z9G really exposes the quality of the source content. With TV's venturing into the 8K realm the film makers are going to have to up their game. I should note that upscaling of Blu-ray disks on the Z9G is really quite good.

Anyway it's been a joy to watch movies again. I nit-pick here and there but when fed the right content, it has just amazing images. Maybe even the best part is that there's no discernible DSE, I applaud the panel quality on the Z9G. Sure there's some blooming here and there, but it doesn't really bother me much. I feel like the script has been flipped in going from the old we need the blackest blacks and infinite contrast to brighter whites, higher nits and glorious HDR content. Can't wait for 8K! Oops, that's right, can't get it even if I wanted it. I don't understand why I could stream it over YouTube on the Q900TS and not on the Z9G however :frown:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I thought the HDMI 2.1 was the eARC port 🤔

I tried searching for the "reference manual" in Sony's support site, but was not able to find it...Do you or anyone know where I can find it?

thanks,
I don’t think there is a manual. HDMI port 3 is ARC/eARC. HDMI port 4 is HDMI 2.1 8k/48Gbps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've owned the Z9G since the end of May and have been very happy with it. Thanks to those contributing to the thread to help me make up my mind. I had very briefly owned the Q900TS, but mine was a dud (DSE, dimming issues) despite all the glowing reviews. I'll keep my focus on the Sony here however.

I also went the route of plasma, to OLED, and now to LED. I was never blown away by the OLED and always thought something was missing. That TV ended up on the main floor where the kids watch cartoons everyday and it now has massive burn in. My plasma in fact still works and is only being retired by the excellent picture quality of the Z9G. Seems I could never get the 4K OLED to look as good as my old plasma - always had some fuzziness around the edges of anything moving. Also I could never get the grass color on a football field to look realistic for some reason on the OLED.

My only complaint now with the Z9G is the variability of the source content. Despite nearly everything being released as "4K UHD", there's jaw dropping image quality and there's terrible looking stuff. I expect that when old movies are re-released in 4K (Predator, Top Gun, ...etc.), but even the newer stuff, including streaming services, seem to have widely varying UHD quality. DirecTV used to be premium quality, but even the 1080 HD stuff looks pretty poor now (didn't notice that on my 50" plasma). Next step is to drop it and start streaming as overall the content quality is much better, I'm kind of surprised by that. Guess my point is the Sony Z9G really exposes the quality of the source content. With TV's venturing into the 8K realm the film makers are going to have to up their game. I should note that upscaling of Blu-ray disks on the Z9G is really quite good.

Anyway it's been a joy to watch movies again. I nit-pick here and there but when fed the right content, it has just amazing images. Maybe even the best part is that there's no discernible DSE, I applaud the panel quality on the Z9G. Sure there's some blooming here and there, but it doesn't really bother me much. I feel like the script has been flipped in going from the old we need the blackest blacks and infinite contrast to brighter whites, higher nits and glorious HDR content. Can't wait for 8K! Oops, that's right, can't get it even if I wanted it. I don't understand why I could stream it over YouTube on the Q900TS and not on the Z9G however :frown:
Hey, so in your comment "even the 1080 HD stuff looks pretty poor now" how bad is it compared to i.e. Q900TS?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, so in your comment "even the 1080 HD stuff looks pretty poor now" how bad is it compared to i.e. Q900TS?

I wasn't referring to a difference from TV to TV, just that there's widely varying content quality whether it's SHD or UHD.

But more to your question, it can look really bad, to the point I wouldn't bother watching. For example I could only watch a few minutes of The Fifth Element in HD on DirecTV as it was a complete blurry mess. But I've also seen pristine content on the DirecTV 4K channels. So it seems they're compressing the signal on certain (most?) "HD" channels, and losing way too much information for the TV to upscale it on an 8K screen (not the TV's fault). Anyway all that sent me venturing into the streaming world to check out Netflix, Amazon Prime, and VUDU which has led to overall better results vs. my DirecTV.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Here is the complete setup that I wanted to explain in my earlier post and this way you'll get everything:

Connect you PS5 to 8K input of Denon receiver. The receiver will take the lossless audio signal coming from PS5 and will pass it to the ATMOS setup you have with your Denon receiver. So, you'll get ATMOS from your PS5 to you atoms setup on Denon receiver. Then the receiver will passthrough the full 8K signal back to the TV where you connect to HDMI 4 (8K). Then you connect your TV's HDMI 3 eARC port back to Denon's eARC port. This way if you are playing anything on TV like Netflix which offers ATMOS, now you can send the ATMOS signal back to Denon which can then play it on your ATMOS setup. So you have to connect to Denon using two HDMI cables. This way if you buy another receiver, other than the Denon that can have multiple 8K input HDMI, it will solve the problem of TV not having multiple 8K HDMI ports.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I totally agree with you that this TV exposes the content quality and when you watch something that has native good quality (1080p signal or 4K signal), it really upscales it very well. I think the 85 inches of the TV also plays a role in exposing the content quality. I am anxiously waiting to have some 8K player because this TV will shine, literally as well with its 4000 nits :). Moreover, there is this video on youtube where the reviewer reviewed the latest Samsung 900TS and I am glad I didn't go that route :).

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Here is the complete setup that I wanted to explain in my earlier post and this way you'll get everything:

Connect you PS5 to 8K input of Denon receiver. The receiver will take the lossless audio signal coming from PS5 and will pass it to the ATMOS setup you have with your Denon receiver. So, you'll get ATMOS from your PS5 to you atoms setup on Denon receiver. Then the receiver will passthrough the full 8K signal back to the TV where you connect to HDMI 4 (8K). Then you connect your TV's HDMI 3 eARC port back to Denon's eARC port. This way if you are playing anything on TV like Netflix which offers ATMOS, now you can send the ATMOS signal back to Denon which can then play it on your ATMOS setup. So you have to connect to Denon using two HDMI cables. This way if you buy another receiver, other than the Denon that can have multiple 8K input HDMI, it will solve the problem of TV not having multiple 8K HDMI ports.
Thanks for the clarification. I think that matches up with the first option in my post, so we are on the same page. I am leaning toward option 3 with the ThenAudio Sharc to avoid two receiver outputs to the TV. Either way should work fine.

·
Super Moderator
16,061 Posts
Posts with retail links and associated quoted posts deleted. Please take those to the deal’s area.

·
Vendor
27,124 Posts
Can you tell me which Dealers still have a 85" Z9G to buy? I've spoke with multiple Sony employees ~2 weeks ago and they only had several left at their "secret" Sony warehouse. I know of a high-end dealer near you in NJ that had 3 last week, but when I call him later today...they may be gone. Another 3 he got ~ 3 weeks ago were sold 1 day after they came in.
They are around but there was never many. High end sets do not usually have a ton of inventory around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Took the plunge and bought the set. Decided that blooming is not that important since it's really not something I focus on when watching a film. You can trigger some serious blooming on this set, but it's a very minor thing when actually viewing content.

Watching this TV is like watching HDR for the first time again. This is HDR.

What can I say other than wow. Absolutely love this set and look forward to playing some 4K HDR games on this set.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Took the plunge and bought the set. Decided that blooming is not that important since it's really not something I focus on when watching a film. You can trigger some serious blooming on this set, but it's a very minor thing when actually viewing content.

What can I say other than wow. Absolutely love this set and look forward to playing some 4K HDR games on this set.
Very exciting to hear! Mine arrives tomorrow. I’m hoping for (but doubtful that we will get) good news on support for VRR, QFT, and DSC in the future.

·
Registered
416 Posts

What was your previous set? Glad you love it!

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
I pulled the trigger on this set as well. Need some wall mount options.

Since this set is so large, any suggestions on the best low profile mount I can get to support this set?

Being such a large thick heavy set, need to make sure that I can get the it as close to the wall as possible.

221 - 240 of 392 Posts