AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 392 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I pulled the trigger on this set as well. Need some wall mount options.

Since this set is so large, any suggestions on the best low profile mount I can get to support this set?

Being such a large thick heavy set, need to make sure that I can get the it as close to the wall as possible.
I’m using the Sanus BXF230. The VXF730 also works. I don’t like flat mounts because it’s too difficult to get behind them if needed.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
So I think my TV which was installed today has a broken HDMI 4 port. Sadly that’s the single 8k port. I can’t get a stable connection with Apple TV and it won’t work at all with my Oppo or my PS4. Oddly, it does work with my PC but there were a few dropouts.

Has anyone here has this issue and managed to fix it?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Actually, can another owner please plug an Apple TV into HDMI port 4 and run the HDMI connection test under Settings then Video and Audio? I’d like to know if it’s just some quirk with the HDMI 2.1 port.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually, can another owner please plug an Apple TV into HDMI port 4 and run the HDMI connection test under Settings then Video and Audio? I’d like to know if it’s just some quirk with the HDMI 2.1 port.
I have tried PS4 Pro, PC and Shield pro. No issues but u have to change the port to receive enhanced format. It is in Settings -> Watching Tv -> External Inputs. There you will see all ports. Change their settings and it may help

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I have tried PS4 Pro, PC and Shield pro. No issues but u have to change the port to receive enhanced format. It is in Settings -> Watching Tv -> External Inputs. There you will see all ports. Change their settings and it may help
I’ve tried both enhanced and enhanced 8k. If I plug in through the AVR, I get no signal at all, and if I plug in directly to the Apple TV it flickers a bit and when running the HDMI connection test it tells me “Apple TV is having trouble maintaining a stable HDMI connection. Check your connections and make sure you’re using an ultra high-speed HDMI cable.”

I’ve of course tried four different cables (including two 48Gbps cables), and the cable that works fine on port 2 gives the same error on port 4.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve tried both enhanced and enhanced 8k. If I plug in through the AVR, I get no signal at all, and if I plug in directly to the Apple TV it flickers a bit and when running the HDMI connection test it tells me “Apple TV is having trouble maintaining a stable HDMI connection. Check your connections and make sure you’re using an ultra high-speed HDMI cable.”

I’ve of course tried four different cables (including two 48Gbps cables), and the cable that works fine on port 2 gives the same error on port 4.
I plugged my Apple TV on my HDMI 4 port and it works fine. Sounds like a bum port on your TV. Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
8 Posts

FWIW - I don't know if this will help and I don't own these cables, but Apple 4K must be a finicky connection if there's a cable that claims to work with it and there's plenty of reviews to support it:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-AV10175bt2M-BLK-Vision-Optimal-Viewing/dp/B075N83B9X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1545575172&sr=8-4&keywords=hdmi+2.1+cable+48gbps&linkCode=sl1&tag=alanfree-20&linkId=b5f3be6834399ad714786a1082dda7ab&language=en_US&th=1

I bought Monoprice cables for my Z9G (and I do not have Apple 4K), but was surprised there was a cable that seemed to work better with Apple 4K than others... I have no idea why that would be.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Thanks all. I factory reset the TV and it seems to have fixed the issue. I’m a bit nervous because I can’t test actual 8k on the 8k port (because no 8k sources), but everything that I can test is working with the Blue Jeans cable. The Monoprice 8k cable and Ruipro 8k cable both fail at least some of the tests, but that seems like a cables issue given that the Blue Jeans works. I’ll post more on that in the appropriate thread for those cables.

On another note, Dolby Vision does not work on the 8k port. This is confirmed by Sony:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00236133

Does that mean when we have access to 8k content, we won’t be able to use Dolby Vision with it? That’s extremely disappointing and shocking. Does anyone have more info on it?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I also wanted to give my impressions. I haven’t watched enough content on the TV to really review or compare in detail, but my initial thoughts are:

— Everyone has already heard this, but this is the best HDR picture I’ve ever seen by far. It’s like seeing HDR again for the first time.

— SDR is significantly brighter than the A1E and A9G but I wouldn’t necessarily say it is better. I slightly prefer OLED SDR.

— Blacks in content are impressive for an LCD but there is definitely blooming around static images on dark backgrounds in HDR (like subtitles, Netflix logo, pause indicator). You absolutely will notice the blooming if you are sensitive to it, but they do manage to mostly keep it out of the content.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also wanted to give my impressions. I haven’t watched enough content on the TV to really review or compare in detail, but my initial thoughts are:

— Everyone has already heard this, but this is the best HDR picture I’ve ever seen by far. It’s like seeing HDR again for the first time.

— SDR is significantly brighter than the A1E and A9G but I wouldn’t necessarily say it is better. I slightly prefer OLED SDR.

— Blacks in content are impressive for an LCD but there is definitely blooming around static images on dark backgrounds in HDR (like subtitles, Netflix logo, pause indicator). You absolutely will notice the blooming if you are sensitive to it, but they do manage to mostly keep it out of the content.
I switched HDMI4 to 4K Enhanced and been watching HDR10 content on it since. Will double check if Dolby Vision works on HDMI4.

I watched Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 again on Z9G. On dark scenes the blooming is rather obvious if you look for it. However the scenes in Las Vegas which has pretty stark contrast between the stage lights and the dark background showed very little blooming, which is surprising. Also, if you look from an angle, blooming becomes much more visible than watching from the center.

I agree SDR is less impressive than OLED. You can force everything into HDR with Cinema mode(this enables X1 Ultimate's HDR conversion) but I would prefer watching SDR in SDR. This TV really is all about extreme light output, and native panel contrast in the SDR range is not its strong point. About 4000:1 ANSI contrast, if I recall correctly. Nothing to write home about.

After getting the caveats explained up front, I'll wax a bit poetics about this display. Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 is mostly dark scenes and the light control exhibited here is very impressive. Highlight details are just gorgeous. Really anytime strong light comes in to view, this display will give you that HDR impact.

I used to think PQ is not a big part of storytelling but damn I'm addicted to those eye candy HDR scenes now. I look forward to watching more 4000-nit or 10000-nit films on this set. It's that gorgeous.

Go watch the first car chase scene into the sandstorm in Mad Max Fury Road... it will blow you away.

---

I just hope Sony can deliver the promised HDMI 2.1 update soon so we can start watching some 8K HDR material. Hope this port comes with DSC support so we can expand its capabilities in the future. It'd be a shame for this display to be hamstrung by input limitations.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I switched HDMI4 to 4K Enhanced and been watching HDR10 content on it since. Will double check if Dolby Vision works on HDMI4.
I wasn’t terribly clear. Dolby Vision will work on the 8K port, but only if you have it set to Enhanced and not Enhanced 8K. It is not supported in 8K mode is what I meant.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wasn’t terribly clear. Dolby Vision will work on the 8K port, but only if you have it set to Enhanced and not Enhanced 8K. It is not supported in 8K mode is what I meant.
Ah... got it. I guess it's because 8K HDR is not yet standardized so 8K Dolby Vision doesn't exist yet.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
My set will be delivered on Wednesday!

Everyone still loving this set?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are you all happy with the black level on this set, especially the cinemascope bars in movies? My Z9F is being replaced and I'm considering this set. I liked the Z9F overall, but the one area where I found it lacking was in how gray the cinemascope bars were, especially in HDR. The room this set would be going in is completely blacked out, walls and ceiling painted black too.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Are you all happy with the black level on this set, especially the cinemascope bars in movies? My Z9F is being replaced and I'm considering this set. I liked the Z9F overall, but the one area where I found it lacking was in how gray the cinemascope bars were, especially in HDR. The room this set would be going in is completely blacked out, walls and ceiling painted black too.
The blooming/light bleed is bad on this set. You will need to have ambient lighting.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The blooming/light bleed is bad on this set. You will need to have ambient lighting.
If I'm not willing to add any ambient lighting, then I guess it would be safe to say I'd be better served by an A9G/CX?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
If I'm not willing to add any ambient lighting, then I guess it would be safe to say I'd be better served by an A9G/CX?
I concur with LeoPie. Sony hasn’t cared about blooming/light bleed with their LCDs since the Z9D. It’s really a shame.

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
160 Posts
I concur with LeoPie. Sony hasn’t cared about blooming/light bleed with their LCDs since the Z9D. It’s really a shame.
It is a shame. Full screen HDR movies on my Z9F look great, but in any HDR content with cinemascope bars it's horrendous.

241 - 260 of 392 Posts