AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 353 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
If I'm not willing to add any ambient lighting, then I guess it would be safe to say I'd be better served by an A9G/CX?
It depends on your use case. I’m very happy with the set despite the blooming issues because the blooming in actual content isn’t bad and black bars aren’t a huge concern for me because I don’t watch a ton of movies. And I run a Gaming PC on it, so not having burn in risk is amazing.

However, if you watch a lot of content with both HDR and black bars and are especially annoyed by blooming, then this probably isn’t the best set for you. It’s a trade off. Which do you prefer between TV A (smaller, perfect blacks, unbeatable SDR, no blooming, slight burn in risk) or TV B (noticeably larger, unbeatable HDR with the caveat of some blooming, no burn in risk)?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It depends on your use case. I’m very happy with the set despite the blooming issues because the blooming in actual content isn’t bad and black bars aren’t a huge concern for me because I don’t watch a ton of movies. And I run a Gaming PC on it, so not having burn in risk is amazing.

However, if you watch a lot of content with both HDR and black bars and are especially annoyed by blooming, then this probably isn’t the best set for you. It’s a trade off. Which do you prefer between TV A (smaller, perfect blacks, unbeatable SDR, no blooming, slight burn in risk) or TV B (noticeably larger, unbeatable HDR with the caveat of some blooming, no burn in risk)?
It's hard to say. I can live with some blooming, just not to the degree of the Z9F. Unfortunately, this TV isn't on display anywhere near me, and man have I looked. That's what happened with my Z9F, no stores had it on display, so I just took a leap of faith, and as soon as I popped in Scarface on 4K Blu-ray, I knew I made a huge mistake. It's not so much blooming on the Z9F, but rather the cinemascope bars are just perpetually what I've started referring to as " dirty chalkboard gray."

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's hard to say. I can live with some blooming, just not to the degree of the Z9F. Unfortunately, this TV isn't on display anywhere near me, and man have I looked. That's what happened with my Z9F, no stores had it on display, so I just took a leap of faith, and as soon as I popped in Scarface on 4K Blu-ray, I knew I made a huge mistake. It's not so much blooming on the Z9F, but rather the cinemascope bars are just perpetually what I've started referring to as " dirty chalkboard gray."
Silly question, but you have the black levels correctly set on both source and TV as in HDMI Video Range 0-255 vs 16-235 right?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Silly question, but you have the black levels correctly set on both source and TV as in HDMI Video Range 0-255 vs 16-235 right?
Yes.

Reactions: JoelArt

·
Registered
19 Posts
I sit rather close to the TV so I don't notice the cinemascope bars that much. But highlight object comes near it, it will lit up noticeably. Also blooming can be very obvious with UI elements since they tend to be very high in brightness when in HDR mode (which is silly...)

This TV is strongest at its extreme light output. It's got great contrast, great HDR impact, great color volume and great accuracy. However, blooming and black level performance is not its strong-suit. If you want black level data in HDR, SDR and some blooming tests, you can watch HDTVTest's review on Z9G. The blooming shots are very exaggerated because the camera is over exposing. But definitely not OLED level. I also notice the blooming is much more noticeable at an angle. If you sit dead center and at correct distance, a lot of the blooming is hardly noticeable. I suspect X-Wide is the culprit here.

If you care about blooming, just get an OLED. I was deciding between 77 A9G and this 85 Z9G earlier. Both are great TVs. All display technologies have its shortcomings. I honestly can't wait for a display with OLED black level and LCD peak brightness. I don't want to choose between HDR impact and black level performance.

·
Vendor
26,685 Posts
If you care about blooming, just get an OLED. I was deciding between 77 A9G and this 85 Z9G earlier. Both are great TVs. All display technologies have its shortcomings. I honestly can't wait for a display with OLED black level and LCD peak brightness. I don't want to choose between HDR impact and black level performance.
Maybe that will happen, maybe not. Seems there are always trade offs....

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
For anyone deciding between an OLED and this TV, yesterday I watched the same Dolby Vision episode of The Order on both my A1E and Z9G to compare. I also watched an SDR episode of The New Girl on both TVs. The SDR content was comparable with a slight edge to the A1E. The HDR content on the A1E wasn’t even on the same planet as the Z9G. Again, it all depends on your priorities, but I wouldn’t trade the Z9G for an equal sized OLED, much less a smaller one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For anyone deciding between an OLED and this TV, yesterday I watched the same Dolby Vision episode of The Order on both my A1E and Z9G to compare. I also watched an SDR episode of The New Girl on both TVs. The SDR content was comparable with a slight edge to the A1E. The HDR content on the A1E wasn’t even on the same planet as the Z9G. Again, it all depends on your priorities, but I wouldn’t trade the Z9G for an equal sized OLED, much less a smaller one.

Every time I am about to go for the 77" oled, I'm pulled back in.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Every time I am about to go for the 77" oled, I'm pulled back in.
Understandable. The OLED is king on a lot of things, and I cringe every time I see blooming on the Z9G (such as with UI elements). But balancing the trade-offs in an HDR content world favors the Z9G in my opinion, particularly because I don’t see blooming during actual content, though I suspect that I will for HDR subtitles. My opinion might be different if most of my content viewing was letterboxed UHD films.

For the record, I was deciding between this TV and a refurbished 100Z9D. I was incredibly tempted on the latter, but it had only a 30 day warranty and was already a 3 year old TV for three times the price of the Z9G. I’m very glad that I went this route.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
My set has been delivered and inspected. Will be a couple of days before I can get her set up and hung on the wall...

I have several OLED sets and they are king in the right environment. I also have a 75" Samsung Q9FN that the Sony is replacing only because I wanted a larger set to fill out my wall. There is no way an OLED would have worked in my brightly lit family room.

Either way, I can't wait to give the Z9G a spin. She has a lot of expectations to live up to.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I just got confirmation that this TV does not have DSC capabilities. That’s disappointing but expected. I’m waiting on an answer as to VRR/QFT firmware update potential and whether it has a 40 or 48 Gbps port.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I was on a Zoom call on my PC about an hour ago and the TV shut off by itself. It turned back on right away when I pressed the power on button on the remote, so I'm not sure there's an actual issue. Any ideas of what caused it and should I worry there is an actual issue? It's the first time that has happened in almost a week with the TV.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Since I have zero patience, I got it out of the box, put on the legs, slid the set into the house using gliders and updated the firmware. It was all easy enough.

At first blush, it is really an impressive set. I thought the Q9FN could get bright, but it does not compare to the Z9G.

Blacks looked black enough to me, though I have quite a bit of ambient light. There was a bit of blooming here and there, but nothing that really bothered me.

Need more time with it before making final judgement.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Straight View.

Chief low profile mount.

Attachments

Reactions: Gillietalls

·
Registered
23 Posts
I took the plunge and ordered this TV. A little intimidating with the lack of reviews, but the prices now are hard to argue and it's a Master series Sony. How bad could it be? ;)

Any one using the full motion Sanus mount? I'd like to see pics of it mounted from the side with this if possible - I know it won't be as flush as a true low profile mount but having easy access to the back of the TV has been useful with my current set up.

https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vxf730/

EDIT: As it turns out, I backed out of the sale. After making some measurements, the thickness of the TV is going to be problematic with my particular setup and the wife acceptance factor to accommodate it.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I took the plunge and ordered this TV. A little intimidating with the lack of reviews, but the prices now are hard to argue and it's a Master series Sony. How bad could it be? ;)

Any one using the full motion Sanus mount? I'd like to see pics of it mounted from the side with this if possible - I know it won't be as flush as a true low profile mount but having easy access to the back of the TV has been useful with my current set up.

https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vxf730/
This is the Best Buy version of that mount. Not sure why the forum software changed the orientation of the picture but just download it and rotate it. It’s thick but that isn’t really relevant to the seating position, and like you, I like to be able to access my cables.

For what it’s worth, I think that the consensus of owners here is that picture on this TV is incredible, especially with HDR, but that blooming into the letterbox bars and on menu elements isn't perfect.

I’d also comment that in completely dark settings, letterbox bars are not black. The picture itself is quite impressive if you can ignore that. For my use case, it’s perfect and I wouldn’t swap it, but if all you plan to do is watch letterbox movies, then an OLED will be superior.

Attachments

261 - 280 of 353 Posts