AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 383 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Hope everything goes well in the end. Sony should really up their QC. A set this level shouldn't have these types of issues. The manufacturing should also be at "Master" level.
Thanks. My big fear is that they’ll give me a tough time on replacement or repair and try to give me an 85z8h because there are no more Z9G.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I took several videos illustrating the problem and even brought a loaned Denon x4700H home to test eARC with the newest Denon board. The dealer agrees that something is wrong and will replace the TV.

But just to check, does HDMI 4 give anyone else issues when an eARC compatible device is plugged into HDMI 3? I isolated that to be the root cause of my issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I took several videos illustrating the problem and even brought a loaned Denon x4700H home to test eARC with the newest Denon board. The dealer agrees that something is wrong and will replace the TV.

But just to check, does HDMI 4 give anyone else issues when an eARC compatible device is plugged into HDMI 3? I isolated that to be the root cause of my issues.
I don't have an eARC device. But I have connected my PS4 Pro to HDMI 4 input and the TV's eARC port is connected to my Samsung soundbar ARC port. I played a couple of games, like God of War and everything was working fine.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
And here is the after calibration through AutoCal using Calman app
Thanks for all the help fida! Here is where I ended up...

Took a few tries, but I think I can squeeze even more out of her.

Attachments

Reactions: JoelArt

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for all the help fida! Here is where I ended up...

Took a few tries, but I think I can squeeze even more out of her.
That is just an awesome result. Which meter did you use? or any tip that you may suggest for me to try to reach these numbers. My panel is a very clean one, so I guess, I can also try to squeeze more out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
That is just an awesome result. Which meter did you use? or any tip that you may suggest for me to try to reach these numbers. My panel is a very clean one, so I guess, I can also try to squeeze more out of it.

I used a C6 colorimeter. Controlling ambient light is a must.

Had a nice rainy day Sunday so I gave it another shot as I could keep reflections to a minimum.

Going to try again another night in as close to a pitch black room as I can get. Very curious as to what those results will show.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used a C6 colorimeter. Controlling ambient light is a must.

Had a nice rainy day Sunday so I gave it another shot as I could keep reflections to a minimum.

Going to try again another night in as close to a pitch black room as I can get. Very curious as to what those results will show.
Thanks for the tip because I didn't care about that and did my calibration during the day without caring about ambient light. I'll do that at night over the weekend.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mine has oddly crashed a few times upon start up so I’m hoping this update helps.
I have had the tv for about four months now and the picture is truly amazing! A definite step up from the 940d it replaced.
The detail of the images are stunning. There is some blooming as we all know but not too big a deal to me and the pros heavily outweigh the cons of this set in my book.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How is this TV on upscaling 1080 content? That is the real question. Most content is still 1080, DirecTV most channels, HULU, Netflix, Prime Video. All have more 1080 content.

Final debate in my head between 85Z9G and 85X900H.

All comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
How is this TV on upscaling 1080 content? That is the real question. Most content is still 1080, DirecTV most channels, HULU, Netflix, Prime Video. All have more 1080 content.

I have DirecTV and the set looks great when fed a good feed. I am sure you know that DTV quality can vary from channel to channel. Like anything else, a good source looks great, bad source looks especially bad in 8k.

But, this set really shines on 1080p and 4k material.

You can get a great deal on this set from Greentoe and it is a pretty substantial upgrade over the 900H, unless you are concerned about ALLM and VRR.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mine has oddly crashed a few times upon start up so I’m hoping this update helps.
I have had the tv for about four months now and the picture is truly amazing! A definite step up from the 940d it replaced.
The detail of the images are stunning. There is some blooming as we all know but not too big a deal to me and the pros heavily outweigh the cons of this set in my book.
You are right. But for me, the tv is in my living room and I have small kids and we don't turn off the living room lights. It is not very bright but the usual bright. In that environment, I get OLED level inky blacks and no blooming at all. But if I turn off all lights and make it pitch black, yes then I see blooming in HDR contents. But for my regular viewing environment, I am loving the best of both worlds, inky blacks, and AWESOME HDR experience.

By the way, I have come across a youtube channel HDR-X and they have some excellent HDR clips, worth watching on this tv.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have DirecTV and the set looks great when fed a good feed. I am sure you know that DTV quality can vary from channel to channel. Like anything else, a good source looks great, bad source looks especially bad in 8k.

But, this set really shines on 1080p and 4k material.

You can get a great deal on this set from Greentoe and it is a pretty substantial upgrade over the 900H, unless you are concerned about ALLM and VRR.
I second that. If you provide a good 1080 signal, this TV's upscaling is superb.

·
Registered
20 Posts

The only thing going for the X900H is the price. X900H is not even as bright as Panasonic's OLEDs, and it's got only 32 zones for the 65-incher(not sure about the 85-inch one, but definitely way less than Z9G), welcome to bloom town. And it's only exacerbated by the lack of a dedicated X1 chip (X1 functions are integrated into the MTK solution), so no smooth gradation feature and worse upscaling. My friend has one and the bloom is very noticeable and the upscaling leaves a lot to be desired.

For the price, it's a great steal: almost 1000-nit HDR performance, so it's a true HDR TV. And it's got almost every major HDMI2.1 features. Let me rephrase: it's an astonishingly good deal. You get a proper Sony 4K HDR TV with full HDMI 2.1 gaming features at that price? It's a steal and probably priced just right for console gamers.

If you have extra money to go for Z9G or XH95, they are way better. Any OLEDs are better too since they are in the same brightness league. I'd pick OLEDs over LCDs unless there's a serious brightness advantage like the Z9G(3000~4000 nits) or the Z8H(2000+ nits)

There's just no comparison other than price. Not in the same league.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
X900H is not even as bright as Panasonic's OLEDs,

For the price, it's a great steal: almost 1000-nit HDR performance, so it's a true HDR TV. And it's got almost every major HDMI2.1 features.

Any OLEDs are better too since they are in the same brightness league. I'd pick OLEDs over LCDs unless there's a serious brightness advantage like the Z9G(3000~4000 nits) or the Z8H(2000+ nits)

100% accurate. I just read that the X900H has a peak brightness of around 850 nits. I would definitely go OLED at that peak brightness and still get all the gaming bells and whistles.

I love my OLED TV's, they just won't get the job done in my family room.

Z9G is a different animal than the X900H or even OLED.

I originally had my heart set on a Samsung Q950TS because it is so damn sexy looking and I had a good experience with my Q9FN, but there was no way I was going to pay almost 2.5+ times the price I paid for the Z9G to get one. Though, I just may have if the Z9G did not get this close out price cut.

Still can't believe that the Z9G is priced lower than the Z8H. Z9G is clearly the superior set.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only thing going for the X900H is the price. X900H is not even as bright as Panasonic's OLEDs, and it's got only 32 zones for the 65-incher(not sure about the 85-inch one, but definitely way less than Z9G), welcome to bloom town. And it's only exacerbated by the lack of a dedicated X1 chip (X1 functions are integrated into the MTK solution), so no smooth gradation feature and worse upscaling. My friend has one and the bloom is very noticeable and the upscaling leaves a lot to be desired.

For the price, it's a great steal: almost 1000-nit HDR performance, so it's a true HDR TV. And it's got almost every major HDMI2.1 features. Let me rephrase: it's an astonishingly good deal. You get a proper Sony 4K HDR TV with full HDMI 2.1 gaming features at that price? It's a steal and probably priced just right for console gamers.

If you have extra money to go for Z9G or XH95, they are way better. Any OLEDs are better too since they are in the same brightness league. I'd pick OLEDs over LCDs unless there's a serious brightness advantage like the Z9G(3000~4000 nits) or the Z8H(2000+ nits)

I've been waiting for the Z8H to compare it with the Z9G but it has been delayed so many times and I am honestly just getting desperate. Where are you getting the Z8H 2000+ nits info from? I've heard on video reviews from CES 2020 that it looks like it can go up to 2000 nits. This is not real world results, but just an opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I've been waiting for the Z8H to compare it with the Z9G but it has been delayed so many times and I am honestly just getting desperate. Where are you getting the Z8H 2000+ nits info from? I've heard on video reviews from CES 2020 that it looks like it can go up to 2000 nits. This is not real world results, but just an opinion.
I saw the same videos on the Z8H as it was another set that intrigued me. The only thing that the Z8H has over the Z9G is a slimmer body and in frame tweeter. It doesn't have as many zones and doesn't get as bright as the Z9G. Same chip I believe, but loses the Backlight Master Drive as well.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I saw the same videos on the Z8H as it was another set that intrigued me. The only thing that the Z8H has over the Z9G is a slimmer body and in frame tweeter. It doesn't have as many zones and doesn't get as bright as the Z9G. Same chip I believe, but loses the Backlight Master Drive as well.

One thing I thought the z8h had over the z9g is that it has true 8k certification because the contrast modulation is better. Now, what difference that makes I have no idea. I also have no idea if that's true or not, but I came across it a couple times in my research.

Black levels look pretty good on the z8h... and then blooming takes over in game mode here:

Does anyone know what difference the backlight master drive actually makes?

301 - 320 of 383 Posts