AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 392 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
***For my next TV, I'm considering the Sony 85" Z9G and LG 77" CX. I never thought I'd consider an OLED set before but after seeing the display at my local Costco store, the colors really had pop and dimension to them. Here's my main problem - - I can't stand banding at all. And, I do watch a lot of news shows or sports with "tickers" or "logos" on them. How does OLED handle motion for sports? Any suggestions on what to look for & evaluate? I watch cable and stream. No Bluray. I'll make sure to have an extended warranty just in case something pops up. Most likely - - Costco, since they build the warranty into the sale plus they have a 90 day "no questions asked" return policy. Much thanks - Rico.
Between an 85 inch Z9G and a 77 inch CX, I'd go with the Z for size alone. That's a big 8 inches. But if you don't move quickly on the Z, the choice might be made for you. As mentioned above, I'm told that there aren't many left. Of course, the Z8H is getting rave reviews from the owners here, so that could be an option too.

·
Vendor
27,146 Posts
I’d personally go with the Z9G or Z8H. The OLED doesn’t handle motion well. It’s something you have to get used to. And the panel lottery is ridiculous. If you do go OLED, go with the A9G if motion is a big issue for you.
Yes sir, if you are worried about motion I would snag a 77A9G, they have a great price right now as well.
***For my next TV, I'm considering the Sony 85" Z9G and LG 77" CX. I never thought I'd consider an OLED set before but after seeing the display at my local Costco store, the colors really had pop and dimension to them. Here's my main problem - - I can't stand banding at all. And, I do watch a lot of news shows or sports with "tickers" or "logos" on them. How does OLED handle motion for sports? Any suggestions on what to look for & evaluate? I watch cable and stream. No Bluray. I'll make sure to have an extended warranty just in case something pops up.
The 85" is 22% bigger........Both are great sets. Many feel OLED is king but other do not feel that way, always a matter of choice.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Yes sir, if you are worried about motion I would snag a 77A9G, they have a great price right now as well.
The 85" is 22% bigger........Both are great sets. Many feel OLED is king but other do not feel that way, always a matter of choice.
***I'd certainly consider an OLED set but as I said, banding is a real deal killer for me. I also watch a lot of cable news and sports with the tickers running below. I thought the OLED picture I saw at my local Costco was fantastic. Of course, I didn't get to see anything else outside of the demo material in the store. I also thought the picture was a little easier on the eyes -- if that makes any sense. I've got some time before any decisions need to be made due to COVID-19. But I'm definitely following all the related threads! Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd certainly consider an OLED set but as I said, banding is a real deal killer for me.
I wouldn't worry about that with Sony OLEDs. The best flat panel TVs by far for banding are Sonys and that's because they made a conscious decision to push hard on uniformity; with LG and Samsung it's much dodgier. A Sony OLED shouldn't give you trouble on this point, though. I'd take Cleveland Plasma's advice and look for an in-budget A9G.

I also watch a lot of cable news and sports with the tickers running below.
Now that's a bigger issue, certainly. OLED is OLED. If you're worried your viewing habits might cause burn-in, either commit to scrupulous use of those pattern sweepers that clean up temporary image retention or look harder at the Z9Gs.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that with Sony OLEDs. The best flat panel TVs by far for banding are Sonys and that's because they made a conscious decision to push hard on uniformity; with LG and Samsung it's much dodgier. A Sony OLED shouldn't give you trouble on this point, though. I'd take Cleveland Plasma's advice and look for an in-budget A9G.

Now that's a bigger issue, certainly. OLED is OLED. If you're worried your viewing habits might cause burn-in, either commit to scrupulous use of those pattern sweepers that clean up temporary image retention or look harder at the Z9Gs.
***Much thanks. If I have to change my viewing habits (sports - constant ticker below or news with always present logos) - I wouldn't be happy with that. One thing I noticed from reading the OLED threads - - there is a lot more maintentance to the set compared to LCD/LED with comp cycles, etc. Maybe not a major inconvenience but it is something to consider.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
***Much thanks. If I have to change my viewing habits (sports - constant ticker below or news with always present logos) - I wouldn't be happy with that. One thing I noticed from reading the OLED threads - - there is a lot more maintentance to the set compared to LCD/LED with comp cycles, etc. Maybe not a major inconvenience but it is something to consider.
Really no maintenance at all. The comp cycles run automatically.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts

***The more I look at the Sony A9G 77", the more I like it. It's not an inexpensive TV but it does have Sony processing which I've come to enjoy. I don't watch news 24 hours a day but probably a couple hours each day, unless there are a lot of sports on. So - - as long as I don't get burn in and have no banding - - I'd be happy. Much thanks again.

Reactions: Eternal Noob

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi, I am considering buying a Z9G 85" ... I need to know the "footprint" on the stand... Sorry if it has been posted, but I am still trying to figure out this new "look" avs has , and maybe didn't search right. I need left to right where the feet of the stand sit, and front to back where the feet sit to make sure my console is wide enough... any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi, I am considering buying a Z9G 85" ... I need to know the "footprint" on the stand... Sorry if it has been posted, but I am still trying to figure out this new "look" avs has , and maybe didn't search right. I need left to right where the feet of the stand sit, and front to back where the feet sit to make sure my console is wide enough... any help is appreciated!
I found this on the sony website
75 3/8 x 48 3/8 x 17 1/8 in (1,913 x 1,226 x 432 mm)

Looks like the legs are 17 1/8 inch deep, but any pictures I see, they look like they angle out... so not sure if this is with, or without the angle considered... My Console is only 12 wide, so may have to wall mount

·
Registered
171 Posts
I found this on the sony website
75 3/8 x 48 3/8 x 17 1/8 in (1,913 x 1,226 x 432 mm)

Looks like the legs are 17 1/8 inch deep, but any pictures I see, they look like they angle out... so not sure if this is with, or without the angle considered... My Console is only 12 wide, so may have to wall mount
Found a cut sheet on the Sony site... got the info I need

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Reactions: Iam74Gibson

·
Registered
171 Posts
Got the new Z9G... The picture is amazing.... as good as all the reviews say! However, there are couple of things that I am a bit disappointed in. Maybe it is me, not understanding some things... so maybe If I post here, someone can either tell me what I am doing wrong, or validate that it will not do as I expected..... it is mostly around the Android OS...

I have a couple of Nvidia Shields with Android OS .... Having a shield which goes into an input of a TV confuses my technically challenged wife...she hits the wrong button and goes into the TV menu...well, she gets lost.... She wants one remote for one device (and not a logitech Harmony, would confuse her even more)

So for me, one of the BIG pros for getting this TV was the built in Android OS... Since I have owned Shields, I am comfortable with the OS, and know what apps I like,,,
I will list what I CAN do with the Shield, and cannot do with the Sony

With a Shield I can...

Map a share to my NAS for media
Use a USB drive with NFTS as removable storage

On the Shield , you need Plex installed to see the drive mapping feature... I installed it on the Sony, and nothing.

If I format a USB on the Sony, it seems to only support Fat32... which has a file size limit of 4gb.... well, that sux... this is the 21st century and file sizes are a lot bigger these days. :)

Another thing that is a bummer... the center channel feature only works when the TV is on... it uses regular banana speaker plugs, so when researching I assumed they would work as a normal speaker... and when the TV was off would just accept and external signal like any speaker from an amp. But no dice...

I finally got eArc to work with my Marantz reciever. Had to buy a 48gb cable though... the 18gb I had just didnt work (I tried 2 of them) But here is a question? Can I use HDMI 4 for video (with 8k support) while using HDMI 3 for sound?

Any help on any of these would be greatly appreciated.... and don't get me wrong... I LOVE this TV.... no regrets at all... Just not as "turnkey" as I had hoped.

·
Registered
873 Posts
What are the basic tv settings that are recommended for this set?

·
Registered
235 Posts
What are the basic tv settings that are recommended for this set?
That maybe a tough question without knowing what you watch. I believe most experts would set a tv up different for someone who mostly watched sports and tv compared to someone who mainly watched movies in a dark room. I haven’t touched a thing on mine though and love it but would also like to hear of some more good general settings.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So I’ve had this tv since March and have truly loved it coming from a 940d which was also very good. My problem is once a week or so the TV starts rebooting when I try to turn it on. I’ve heard of other people experiencing the same thing. Has anyone found a fix yet?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
So I’ve had this tv since March and have truly loved it coming from a 940d which was also very good. My problem is once a week or so the TV starts rebooting when I try to turn it on. I’ve heard of other people experiencing the same thing. Has anyone found a fix yet?
I had an issue where mine would randomly shut off. But I also had HDMI issues, so I was able to get it replaced. The new one has no such issues.

341 - 360 of 392 Posts