AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
85” Z9G- 77” A9G
301 Posts
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could check if there is some banding occurring when displaying the “No signal” screen on any HDMI input on their Z9Gs.

Faint vertical banding, with varying degrees of band thickness (largest band width to the left of the screen), plus very faint horizontal banding can be detected on mine regardless of picture mode.

Please refer to the attached picture for reference. Picture also shows a shadow stretching from the left side to the middle of the screen, though I’m not sure if that is a camera artifact or an enhancement due to camera sensitivity.

View attachment 3062220

Haven’t professionally calibrated the TV yet, and I’m planning on using the Spears and Munsil 4K edition disk to set basic parameters. Nevertheless, this is something that I would like to address before proceeding or taking any further action.

The banding does not seem to be present or noticeable on any content or source that I’ve played, OS native or external, perhaps due to motion. Though I have not performed extensive testing yet.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Added another picture below, now showing horizontal banding when pressing the volume button on the TV. Note that this picture includes a reflection since it was taken in the daylight. The “H” shape in the middle of the screen is a window frame reflecting; not actual banding. The first picture is a better representation of the phenomenon; the second only to show how the volume overlay is also displaying banding on the screen.

View attachment 3062232
Mine doesn’t seem to have much banding at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
To all Z9G 85" owners, accounting to the Sony website, this TV needs at least 17" deep of TV cabinet when stands installed. However, my existing cabinet only have 16" of space. I just wondering if the TV's stands are angle/height adjustable ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The stands are non-adjustable, but very strong, and are attached to the bottom of the TV by slotting over captive key slots and secured by 2 x small screws.

The metal horizontal stand part is 40cm wide with 2 x 6cm rubber-faced feet attached, the overall width from the outermost edge-to-edge of the feet at each end is 45.5cm.

The stands are attached to the TV at an angle, so a base to take the spacing of the edge-to-edge feet at 45.5cm max overall length is a smaller dimension, and you could always have a small part of the pads overhanging the base, not ideal though!

The stands when attached to the TV at their correct angle require a minimum of a 42.5cm deep base to sit on without any overhang at all!

So not ideal, but with your current 16" cabinet base you could just get by with having the outermost edge of the 6cm pads overhang the base by 3/8" at the front and back! Not recommending this action just saying as a workaround!

Good luck, a fantastic TV though!

·
Registered
138 Posts
The stands are non-adjustable, but very strong, and are attached to the bottom of the TV by slotting over captive key slots and secured by 2 x small screws.

The metal horizontal stand part is 40cm wide with 2 x 6cm rubber-faced feet attached, the overall width from the outermost edge-to-edge of the feet at each end is 45.5cm.

The stands are attached to the TV at an angle, so a base to take the spacing of the edge-to-edge feet at 45.5cm max overall length is a smaller dimension, and you could always have a small part of the pads overhanging the base, not ideal though!

The stands when attached to the TV at their correct angle require a minimum of a 42.5cm deep base to sit on without any overhang at all!

So not ideal, but with your current 16" cabinet base you could just get by with having the outermost edge of the 6cm pads overhang the base by 3/8" at the front and back! Not recommending this action just saying as a workaround!

Good luck, a fantastic TV though!
Thank you for your reply, my 85Z9G will be arrived next week. So I have to prepare it now. One more question, where is the infrared remote control sensor located on this TV ? I want to put my center speaker on the bottom center, it might block the "SONY" logo , is it where the sensor located ? Also, what is your recommended TV height for the big 85" TV like this ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for your reply, my 85Z9G will be arrived next week. So I have to prepare it now. One more question, where is the infrared remote control sensor located on this TV ? I want to put my center speaker on the bottom center, it might block the "SONY" logo , is it where the sensor located ? Also, what is your recommended TV height for the big 85" TV like this ?
Good question?

To turn on with the remote top green button you do need a line of sight to the bottom center of the screen, around where the Sony logo is as that is a normal Infrared command, ... but ... once turned on you do not need a line of sight as the remote uses Bluetooth for all the other function changes such as input, volume, channel, etc, it is a nice remote but does not have a backlight keypad like the 2020 ZH8.

The manual on/off switch + volume is located around the back of the TV on the Left-hand side with the TV facing you around 2" in, a small 3 button affair.

I decided on mine to mount it 30" high off the ground on a movable TV presentation stand as I can then move the setup around the room, that gave me the clearance I needed to site my center speaker on top of my sub as I could not find a decent center speaker stand for that height!

I'm using Monitor Audio Gold GX300 speakers and a Gold GXC350 center speaker, with Gold GXW 15 subwoofer, with Gold surrounds, connected to a Yamaha RX-A3070 AV Amp, Gold GX

Don't forget you can use your Sony TV as a center speaker as it does sound good!

And you could just walk up to your TV, if the center speaker was blocking the Infrared sensor, and just point it behind the center speaker to turn it on/off as once on you no longer need any line of sight as Bluetooth remote!

A picture of my rough set up at the moment!

Good luck, it is a lovely TV!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good question?

To turn on with the remote top green button you do need a line of sight to the bottom center of the screen, around where the Sony logo is as that is a normal Infrared command, ... but ... once turned on you do not need a line of sight as the remote uses Bluetooth for all the other function changes such as input, volume, channel, etc, it is a nice remote but does not have a backlight keypad like the 2020 ZH8.

The manual on/off switch + volume is located around the back of the TV on the Left-hand side with the TV facing you around 2" in, a small 3 button affair.

I decided on mine to mount it 30" high off the ground on a movable TV presentation stand as I can then move the setup around the room, that gave me the clearance I needed to site my center speaker on top of my sub as I could not find a decent center speaker stand for that height!

I'm using Monitor Audio Gold GX300 speakers and a Gold GXC350 center speaker, with Gold GXW 15 subwoofer, with Gold surrounds, connected to a Yamaha RX-A3070 AV Amp, Gold GX

Don't forget you can use your Sony TV as a center speaker as it does sound good!

And you could just walk up to your TV, if the center speaker was blocking the Infrared sensor, and just point it behind the center speaker to turn it on/off as once on you no longer need any line of sight as Bluetooth remote!

A picture of my rough set up at the moment!

View attachment 3064786

Good luck, it is a lovely TV!
very nice setup, thank you !!! I am sure I will have more questions to ask when I receive the TV, thanks !!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, a good guide for screen height is to ensure that your eye level when seated in your viewing position, is level with a point that falls in the bottom third of the screen. This should ensure you are not looking down at the screen, nor cranking your neck upwards. This is a little harder to accomplish if you are using a separate centre channel and are also trying to keep the tweeter there at your ear level.
My advice is Put the Centre Speaker Tweeter at ear level and ensure that there is only minimum clearance between the bottom of the tv and the Top of the centre.
this is a tall tv so you will feel that you are looking up at the top of the screen but you do get used to it.
I wall mounted mine on a PS80 bracket so the tv sits literally 2mm above the top of the centre speaker, which sits itself on an AV rack. I have pulled the tv away from the wall 30 inches so the front of the tv is in line with the front of the centre channel. No issues, the tv”floats” and is immersive. And yes, it’s a lot of weight sitting 30” from the wall, my installer was very impressed with the design of the bracket as it loads the top of the tv’s weight onto the bottom of the bracket, so in effect as the tv is trying to “fall forwards“ that force pushes the bottom of the bracket into the wall. The bottom of the tv in effect loads the top of the bracket but Again, the pulling force is applied at a 45 degree angle so is not really trying to pull the bracket from the wall, but again the force applied from the top of the tv and its support arm resists this.
I can adjust the distance of the tv from the wall, I can pivot the tv on the bracket, I can’t tilt the tv, that is a small price to pay. Also the bracket can support 120kg. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone.

Just here to report that I've received the 4K 120 update from Sony China. Currently updating, will try to check if this update brings the HDMI2.1 port to full bandwidth or not.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Having a problem with the Z9G turning itself off while operating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having a problem with the Z9G turning itself off while operating.
Hi,
If you turn it on does the picture have a blurred shimmer / double vision fault anywhere on the screen?

And if so does the TV screen go black after about 10 seconds and then nothing and may then turn off?

If yes, then that is not good news, Sony also has a built-in app to test all its components and
self diagnose / report from the Home screen, but if you have the fault where the TV shuts off after 10 seconds it will not be long enough time to run the app.

First, try unplugging the TV from the wall socket and then plug it back in after 30 seconds, this will cause the Android system to reboot and MAY fix a software glitch, but will not fix any failed hardware.

Good luck.

If you go back on my posts you can see the fault my Sony 85 ZG9 suffered from, which required a replacement/exchange TV to cure!

Cheers.

·
Registered
877 Posts
No blurred shimmer/double vision fault. Works properly most of the time, just irregularly turns off.

Reactions: JimmyBeckett

·
Registered
18 Posts
No blurred shimmer/double vision fault. Works properly most of the time, just irregularly turns off.
Hi,

Well, so far sounds very promising that it is just a random problem, as the Sony TV has a self-test function is built-in, I would give it a go first, to run it follow this link:- https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00090165

As you live in the US I guess you have 110v AC supply, in the UK we have 240v AC, now your 110v appears to be at the lower end of the switch-mode power supply requirements, from the Sony US site it states power requirement is AC 110-240 Volt. This TV can draw a lot of watts in an instant in HDR mode, up to 900W instantaneous! and if you have a sudden voltage drop to the input of the TV and the voltage was to drop below 110v it MAY just cause the TV power supply to trip out and shut down if the socket that feeds your TV was of too thin a gauge wire, or already overloaded? all just guesswork, but something to consider and eliminate from the fault-finding?

So check the voltage at the wall socket with a voltmeter with the TV running to rule out that one! an instant 8 amps + on the line can cause a voltage drop!

If you haven't already done so upgrade to the latest Sony firmware!

Are you using HDMI control? where some other connected kit can turn off the Sony TV remotely?

Slightly off-topic, but may be of interest, the other day my TV lost all sound and amazingly it was found to be an Android software problem, that was fixed by unplugging the TV from the wall socket, waiting for 30 sec and then reconnecting, the Android system rebooted on screen and has been fine since.

Turning the TV off via the rear on/off switch will not work, the TV has to be fully depowered to reboot/hard reset.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

·
Registered
877 Posts
Thanks for our good suggestions. HDMI control and the sleep and timer settings are off. My two theories were that it turns off when it gets too hot or there is an internet glitch, but it could be electrical as well (although nothing else in the rooms is affected at the same time). In all cases, it turns back on immediately with the remote control.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for our good suggestions. HDMI control and the sleep and timer settings are off. My two theories were that it turns off when it gets too hot or there is an internet glitch, but it could be electrical as well (although nothing else in the rooms is affected at the same time). In all cases, it turns back on immediately with the remote control.
Hi,

Regarding your theory of the TV overheating or thermally shutting down, if you were to run the TV with the brightness turned down to number 5 the power consumption and internal heat generation of both the LED backlight and switchmode power supply would be drastically reduced to about 275 watts, so would not get so hot, so try this and see if the TV still shuts down or not to eliminate your heat theory.

Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi, is anybody willing to share their settings (calibrated or non-calibrated) of their Z9G/ZG9 ? Thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do you have 30x0 ampere card? Mind testing it out for us?
There's report Sony TVs having problem displaying 120hz mode. I'm trying to understand if it's hardware or software issue.

·
Vendor
28,637 Posts
I know we are not suppose to talk about price, but the 85 inch Z9G is selling for $6500 Canadian open box with only a 90 day warranty from bestbuy... That would be $5000 US... you have to get it shipped to Toronto though.. What a gamble if someone was to buy it to get the best LCD currently out!
You can buy a Mack Warranty for your TV if you are worried about it, Make warranties are international and work in any country.......

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi, I want to know what color temperature setting are you using when watching movies? I have found "warm" is more comfortable to watch, but I think "expert 1" is more accurate.

481 - 500 of 553 Posts