AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 548 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I guess very much a personal choice but I use neutral, cool seems un-natural and the warm settings and beyond seem to dim the image to my eyes and give it a sepia tint- which may be more accurate but I am not keen. Also when watching 4k discs I use the vivid setting for maximum impact - Im a HDR junkie and I like that combination.
On my ZD9 I used Expert 1 as the consensus was that this was the most accurate. The grading of the presets has been changed in the ZG9 and expert 1 is no longer the same. Alao the TV should remember your settings for each source so experiment, on SD i don’t like vivid for example....

·
Registered
SONY XBR77A9G, XBR48A9S, SONY HT-Z9F Soundbar w/ Z9R Rears, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5
330 Posts

New owner here thanks to Value Electronics. Seems like I got the last one around these parts. I’ve been through a lot of TV sets recently. My indecisiveness has gotten the best of me. But this set is one I’ve longed for. Just never could afford it until now. The wife hates the design compared to the A9G but it’ll grow on her.

·
Registered
43 Posts
View attachment 3072091
New owner here thanks to Value Electronics. Seems like I got the last one around these parts. I’ve been through a lot of TV sets recently. My indecisiveness has gotten the best of me. But this set is one I’ve longed for. Just never could afford it until now. The wife hates the design compared to the A9G but it’ll grow on her.

Congrats!
FYI: The design of the Z9G is necessary in order to deal with heat generation /dissipation as this set runs very hot. It also has to do with the forward facing speaker system ( two speakers placed along the TV’s top edge and two along the bottom edge plus two subwoofers).

My wife made the same observation so I bought her a Z8H for the upstairs entertainment room.

Enjoy.
Ed

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I’ve been through a lot of TV sets recently. My indecisiveness has gotten the best of me. But this set is one I’ve longed for. Just never could afford it until now. The wife hates the design compared to the A9G but it’ll grow on her.
BigBlue! I didn't expect to see you around these parts. You have been through almost all the sets. Where does this one rank?

My wife hated the design too. It looks good on the wall and she doesn't say anything about it any longer. Mostly because the picture is so enjoyable.

·
Registered
SONY XBR77A9G, XBR48A9S, SONY HT-Z9F Soundbar w/ Z9R Rears, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5
330 Posts
BigBlue! I didn't expect to see you around these parts. You have been through almost all the sets. Where does this one rank?

My wife hated the design too. It looks good on the wall and she doesn't say anything about it any longer. Mostly because the picture is so enjoyable.
I’ll say this, after having ran through so many sets. The Z9G is the BEST TV PQ in the 85” and above range that is actually affordable. If you want better PQ in this size you have to go to the extremely expensive $30K 8K 88” OLED. The only TV that is comparable and still affordable in my opinion is the A9G. It just has too many issues handling near black and dark scenes. I came to the Z9G because I wanted a bigger size and better shadow detail handling. I do miss the contrast of the OLED but we can’t have it all. This is a great set and slightly better than the Z8H.

·
Registered
85” Z9G- 77” A9G
299 Posts
View attachment 3072091
Nice! I have this set and just got a A9G and the Z9G is an amazing set to own. You will like it very much.

·
Registered
85” Z9G- 77” A9G
299 Posts
I’ll say this, after having ran through so many sets. The Z9G is the BEST TV PQ in the 85” and above range that is actually affordable. If you want better PQ in this size you have to go to the extremely expensive $30K 8K 88” OLED. The only TV that is comparable and still affordable in my opinion is the A9G. It just has too many issues handling near black and dark scenes. I came to the Z9G because I wanted a bigger size and better shadow detail handling. I do miss the contrast of the OLED but we can’t have it all. This is a great set and slightly better than the Z8H.
Great post and I agree but owning both you just cannot compare the A9G to the 85” Z9G. Both are amazing TVs but for a larger room the Z9G is hands down the better set. Having said that I’m loving the 77” A9G for the bedroom so far.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great post and I agree but owning both you just cannot compare the A9G to the 85” Z9G. Both are amazing TVs but for a larger room the Z9G is hands down the better set. Having said that I’m loving the 77” A9G for the bedroom so far.
Do you find the colors on the Z9G much better? do you game at all? If I go crazy and buy a demo/open box model of this tv, I fear the blooming will make me regret it

·
Registered
85” Z9G- 77” A9G
299 Posts
Do you find the colors on the Z9G much better? do you game at all? If I go crazy and buy a demo/open box model of this tv, I fear the blooming will make me regret it
The colors on the Z9G are more colorful and vibrant and HDR on this set is incredible!! I have gamed on both sets with a PS5 and both do very good.
The only time I notice blooming is on white letterbox bars on a black screen but for us it has been a non issue watching actual content. My A9G actually has blooming also in the same scenario but not as bad as the Z9G.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think it’s fair to say that blooming is really ok on this set, Sony talks a lot about directors intent in how this tv displays. You can see so much detail in dark scenes because as I see it, if the zg9 displays it then the director intended you to see it. If you want lots of inky blacks and loss of detail in shadows then look elsewhere. Colours and brightness are stellar on this tv. I also have a ZD9 and it can’t touch the ZG9. Think directors intent and you can’t go wrong with this tv.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think it’s fair to say that blooming is really ok on this set, Sony talks a lot about directors intent in how this tv displays. You can see so much detail in dark scenes because as I see it, if the zg9 displays it then the director intended you to see it. If you want lots of inky blacks and loss of detail in shadows then look elsewhere. Colours and brightness are stellar on this tv. I also have a ZD9 and it can’t touch the ZG9. Think directors intent and you can’t go wrong with this tv.
YES! This is exactly how I’m seeing it. This set looks like it is intended to portray the most accurate picture as possible. Even when you try to add in all of the enhancement features they barely make a difference. The Z9G is fighting to keep the picture as accurate as possible. Maintain shadow detail at all costs. Smoothness on setting 2 on any other Sony set produces obvious soap opera effect but on the Z9G to get that obvious effect you have to go all the way to setting 3. It just fights hard to maintain a film like accurate picture. But when it comes to gaming it’s a whole other beast. As I saw on the Z8H as well, gaming on these Sony 8K sets is TOP NOTCH. I’ve gamed on the A9G and the LG CX. The PS5 look outstanding on the Z9G and on the Z8H. I’ve noticed the most significant benefit of 8K so far is the improvement in gaming picture quality. There’s a drastic difference. HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS

·
Registered
138 Posts
YES! This is exactly how I’m seeing it. This set looks like it is intended to portray the most accurate picture as possible. Even when you try to add in all of the enhancement features they barely make a difference. The Z9G is fighting to keep the picture as accurate as possible. Maintain shadow detail at all costs. Smoothness on setting 2 on any other Sony set produces obvious soap opera effect but on the Z9G to get that obvious effect you have to go all the way to setting 3. It just fights hard to maintain a film like accurate picture. But when it comes to gaming it’s a whole other beast. As I saw on the Z8H as well, gaming on these Sony 8K sets is TOP NOTCH. I’ve gamed on the A9G and the LG CX. The PS5 look outstanding on the Z9G and on the Z8H. I’ve noticed the most significant benefit of 8K so far is the improvement in gaming picture quality. There’s a drastic difference. HAPPY NEW YEAR FOLKS
Hi, may I ask what is your color temperature setting when you are watching movies? Most of the peoples are saying "expert 1" is the most accurate color setting but I feel that it is too warm for me. "Warm" is more comfortable and brighter to watch, thanks !!!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Hi, may I ask what is your color temperature setting when you are watching movies? Most of the peoples are saying "expert 1" is the most accurate color setting but I feel that it is too warm for me. "Warm" is more comfortable and brighter to watch, thanks !!!
I have calibrated my set using Autocal and I find myself still falling back to the warm setting.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes the Warm setting looks the most accurate to me. My Z9G was calibrated and the calibrator seems to have made expert 2 look similar to the warm setting while expert 1 is overly yellow/orange. So I usually stick with the calibrated expert 2 or the Warm setting.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have calibrated my set using Autocal and I find myself still falling back to the warm setting.
I have used Calman for Sony to calibrate my Z9G too, but the calibrated color setting is even more warmer and darker than "expert 1", then I falling back to "warm" too. I am very confused about what is the points about this calibration things. I have spend $250 for the meter and $150 for the software, and now I am still using the default setting. I prefer a brighter and whiter color. Accuracy vs personal preferences ? which one is more important ?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have used Calman for Sony to calibrate my Z9G too, but the calibrated color setting is even more warmer and darker than "expert 1", then I falling back to "warm" too. I am very confused about what is the points about this calibration things. I have spend $250 for the meter and $150 for the software, and now I am still using the default setting. I prefer a brighter and whiter color. Accuracy vs personal preferences ? which one is more important ?
I may be wrong here, but I believe the color temps are adjusted to the calibration also. We only calibrate SDR on this set. Sony automatically applies the calibrations to HDR/Dolby Vision, etc. I wonder if that happens with the other color temps as well.

Again, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe that your personal preference is most important, I have yet to calibrate my set but worry that when I do I might not like the calibrated setting as much as the image I have now. Vincent Teoh often talks about calibrating the white levels, and I wonder if this might darken the image which I would not want. I think you should not follow a number on a calibration device if it reduces your enjoyment of the image that you have. It should correct, in my opinion colour anomalies, and every change should let you see an improvement - any time a tweak on a setting reduces the quality of the image - just don’t do it. Experiment and find what works best for you. I don’t think you can “break “ the image, just refine it to your tastes. Good audio impacts your enjoyment as much as the image remember and that needs work too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ok so after a weekend of critical viewing and comparing to my 65” Z9D. I can honestly say that the Sony Z9G is THE best LCD/LED TV ever made PERIOD. My opinion based on critical viewership and comparisons. Hands down the best.

501 - 520 of 548 Posts