AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
k so after a weekend of critical viewing and comparing to my 65” Z9D. I can honestly say that the Sony Z9G is THE best LCD/LED TV ever made PERIOD. My opinion based on critical viewership and comparisons. Hands down the best.
Now it's up to Sony for 2021 to actually make a better 8k and have it be cheaper without making it be a downgrade like the ZH8 is!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe that your personal preference is most important, I have yet to calibrate my set but worry that when I do I might not like the calibrated setting as much as the image I have now. Vincent Teoh often talks about calibrating the white levels, and I wonder if this might darken the image which I would not want. I think you should not follow a number on a calibration device if it reduces your enjoyment of the image that you have. It should correct, in my opinion colour anomalies, and every change should let you see an improvement - any time a tweak on a setting reduces the quality of the image - just don’t do it. Experiment and find what works best for you. I don’t think you can “break “ the image, just refine it to your tastes. Good audio impacts your enjoyment as much as the image remember and that needs work too.
If it's your personal belief, it is fine. This is a completely untenable position for any kind of discussion since personal preferences will never align between two individuals.

The dangers of not setting a reference would mean any discussion of PQ is moot, since two parties will be talking about completely different things.

On that note. If we're talking about printing or lab work for film, I don't think many will agree that printing or film processing should be tailored to each viewer since that would be... extremely problematic. A TV display is just another medium.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
After reading about the new 2021 Sony offerings, I am even more satisfied with the Z9G purchase.

I am sure they are fantastic sets, but Backlight Master Drive and blinding nits on the Z9G cannot currently be replaced.

·
Registered
138 Posts
After reading about the new 2021 Sony offerings, I am even more satisfied with the Z9G purchase.

I am sure they are fantastic sets, but Backlight Master Drive and blinding nits on the Z9G cannot currently be replaced.
That's what i am thinking too. Sony is going to use the same XR processor for entire 2021 models. Very interesting !!!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry for asking a daft question, our ZG9 is compatible with the IMAX enhanced format, will Sony’s new streaming platform (as I understand it with IMAX enhanced content) be accessible to us? Or only XR owners? I can see why they would initially limit access to drive sales of the new TV’s but... it would be interesting seeing this content on our TV’s. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
SONY XBR77A9G, XBR48A9S, SONY HT-Z9F Soundbar w/ Z9R Rears, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5
333 Posts
Sorry for asking a daft question, our ZG9 is compatible with the IMAX enhanced format, will Sony’s new streaming platform (as I understand it with IMAX enhanced content) be accessible to us? Or only XR owners? I can see why they would initially limit access to drive sales of the new TV’s but... it would be interesting seeing this content on our TV’s. Any thoughts?
I’m pretty sure this new Sony streaming service will be rolled out to all recent Sony TVs. They’re trying to enter the streaming market and compete with the like of Netflix, that’ll take ALOT of subscribers so I’m sure it’ll roll out to their entire lineup of TVs or at least the X1 ultimate chipset models.

·
Registered
85” Z9G- 77” A9G
301 Posts
Well after watching some 4K football this weekend I love this set even more! It is just an amazing set.
I’ve had a 77” A9G In the bedroom for a month now and so far the Z9G is our favorite.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Guys - what will be the best option 85" Z9G or 85" Z9J?
I would vote Z9G if you don't mind the bulkier chassis, or more importantly, you can find one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To be quite honest: You would need to wait for the Z9J to make the rounds and allow professional to get their hands on the TV and post their reviews. I was not very impressed with SONY's 2021 TV line up - except for the A90J (OLED) Master series TV, and the fact that all TVs are now moving to the Google TV Operating System.

The whole Sony Cognitive Processor XR talk seems to be a lot of Marketing nonsense. SONY's attempt to use buzzwords like AI and Machine Learning which are very hot technologies right now. The new 8K TVs does not even incorporate Black Master Drive technology which made the Z9G the very best TV ever made by SONY.

I am not sure if you can even get a SONY Z9G anymore - perhaps an open box, return, or floor model. However, If you are like me - early adopter which translates into spending top dollar for these new devices - I would wait at least a couple of months and read every review available.

I am more excited about the Panasonic OLED PRO monitors are once again available in the US. Although, I hate the fact that they're only available in 55 and 65 inches. These are hand picked OLED panels made into Panasonic Hollywood Professional Client OLED Displays. You should read about them if you are looking for the very best display and don't mind that they are only available in the aforementioned sizes - link below:
Panasonic Hollywood Pro OLED Display

Just conduct your own research and learn about these technologies before pulling making such a significant purchase. And, make sure to always have the option to return the TV within a 14-30 day period.

Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I purchased E9 after comparing C9 with GZ1000 and GZ2000 two years ago. I preferred the LGs. I'm seriously interested in A90J and want another brighter TV in addition to A90J to replace my current OLEDs. The Z9G fits the bill. I saw it at store and the only thing that bothered me was the reflections. I won't mind going with Z9J as long as the blacks are good and it can go to 4,000 nits.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I purchased E9 after comparing C9 with GZ1000 and GZ2000 two years ago. I preferred the LGs. I'm seriously interested in A90J and want another brighter TV in addition to A90J to replace my current OLEDs. The Z9G fits the bill. I saw it at store and the only thing that bothered me was the reflections. I won't mind going with Z9J as long as the blacks are good and it can go to 4,000 nits.
I think the Z9G is the only set that will satisfy those nits.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think the new Z9J will be outputting 4000 nits.
However, I would be worried if this TV can match your brightness requirements without incorporating some sort of good Black Master Drive technology.

The real take away from all this is to acknowledge that OLED technology is meant to wow the buyer in a dark, or at least, light controller setting whereas LEDs rule in bright rooms. That's why I have OLEDs in the bedrooms, and a Z9G and X900H in bright rooms.

I am sure my next purchase will be either a Panasonic OLE pro monitor, or A90J (OLED) Master series TV. I just cannot enjoy watching anything on a TV less than 77 inches anymore which Panasonic does not offer on these PRO monitors.

Good luck to everyone with your new upcoming purchases.

·
Registered
85” Z9G- 77” A9G
301 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think the new Z9J will be outputting 4000 nits.
However, I would be worried if this TV can match your brightness requirements without incorporating some sort of good Black Master Drive technology.

The real take away from all this is to acknowledge that OLED technology is meant to wow the buyer in a dark, or at least, light controller setting whereas LEDs rule in bright rooms. That's why I have OLEDs in the bedrooms, and a Z9G and X900H in bright rooms.

I am sure my next purchase will be either a Panasonic OLE pro monitor, or A90J (OLED) Master series TV. I just cannot enjoy watching anything on a TV less than 77 inches anymore which Panasonic does not offer on these PRO monitors.

Good luck to everyone with your new upcoming purchases.
I totally agree and also do the same. Z9G in the living room and A9G in the bedroom. It’s working out great so far.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
My local Best Buy has a 85z9g display model for the same price as a new on sale 77a9g seems like a pretty good deal. If I was not in a apartment I would probably give it a try. I don’t think it would fit in my elevator with out taking it out of the box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My local Best Buy has a 85z9g display model for the same price as a new on sale 77a9g seems like a pretty good deal. If I was not in a apartment I would probably give it a try. I don’t think it would fit in my elevator with out taking it out of the box.
What BESTBUY If I might ask?

521 - 540 of 553 Posts