AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 626 Posts

·
Registered
SONY XBR85Z9G, XBR48A9S, SONOS Theater Surround System, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5, XBOX SERIES X
480 Posts
The new Z9J have 2800 nit and 418 zones, it seems Z9J is a Z8H with XR processor, so Z9G is still better. View attachment 3085449 View attachment 3085450
So it’s slightly better than the Z8H so it can have the master series moniker, but just below the Z9G. I wonder if the new processor makes up for the shortfalls. I went to see The Little Things in Dolby Cinema theater today. Then I came home and watched it again on my Z9G in Dolby vision. It looked 10x better at home than in the theater lol.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Is it possible to get [email protected] + 10 bit 4:4:4 in game mode, or do you need to be in graphics or photo mode to enable 4:4:4 like on Sony 4K sets?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Maybe the new panels will have higher native contrast but less zones. I always preferred higher native contrast then number of zones myself. Would be nice to see a 5000:1 native with 418 zones.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Reactions: New_to_4K

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
If you're a gamer the Z9J makes a lot more sense because it will have a more complete HDMI 2.1 implementation with lower input lag and VRR update.

The upgraded processor also gives it superior TV Led Dolby Vision and ability to actually watch the limited (and upcoming) 8K content that's out there since it has 8K AV1 decoder for youtube, USB, NAS, etc. Access to Sony's new Bravia Core streaming service. I believe it also has ATSC 3.0 receiver. Only way to get any 8K into the Z8G is via a PC and some recent HDMI 2.1 video card.

Remains to be seen how the actual picture performance compares. A better dimming algorithm could make up for some of the lower zone count.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you're a gamer the Z9J makes a lot more sense because it will have a more complete HDMI 2.1 implementation with lower input lag and VRR update.

The upgraded processor also gives it superior TV Led Dolby Vision and ability to actually watch the limited (and upcoming) 8K content that's out there since it has 8K AV1 decoder for youtube, USB, NAS, etc. Access to Sony's new Bravia Core streaming service. I believe it also has ATSC 3.0 receiver. Only way to get any 8K into the Z8G is via a PC and some recent HDMI 2.1 video card.

Remains to be seen how the actual picture performance compares. A better dimming algorithm could make up for some of the lower zone count.
Does the Z9G not have VRR right now?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've seen a couple of asks here, but no definitive responses. Would anyone care to share their preferred picture mode for movies and the settings they're using if not default?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've seen a couple of asks here, but no definitive responses. Would anyone care to share their preferred picture mode for movies and the settings they're using if not default?
the suggested mode for movie is "cinema" and color temp is "expert 1", but a lot of people have the flagship TV like this will calibrate it to its own settings.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Got an email from Robert saying the TV should arrive Tuesday, I'll be mounting it Wednesday. Was planning on watching 1917 in Dolby vision on 4K Blu-ray on my new UB9000, but UPS is now telling me the player won't be here till Thursday.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Got an email from Robert saying the TV should arrive Tuesday, I'll be mounting it Wednesday. Was planning on watching 1917 in Dolby vision on 4K Blu-ray on my new UB9000, but UPS is now telling me the player won't be here till Thursday.
Delivery tomorrow, package weight is 325Lbs! Plus 2 guys and a pallet, I guess I'll find out if the chipmunks have completely undermined the foundation of my front walk yet!

Reactions: mxsledder

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
SONY XBR85Z9G, XBR48A9S, SONOS Theater Surround System, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5, XBOX SERIES X
480 Posts
Delivery tomorrow, package weight is 325Lbs! Plus 2 guys and a pallet, I guess I'll find out if the chipmunks have completely undermined the foundation of my front walk yet!
If I connect my Denon X-3700H to the earc port on the TV, and my PS5 to port 4, I'll get [email protected] or [email protected] and lossless audio via earc?
How’d the delivery go? Is the set looking good? Yes you can still get lossless audio. Make sure you change your sound output settings on the TV. Turn eARC and pass through on. Make sure you have hdmi 3 set to enhanced and hdmi 4 set to enhanced 8k

·
Registered
370 Posts
How’d the delivery go? Is the set looking good? Yes you can still get lossless audio. Make sure you change your sound output settings on the TV. Turn eARC and pass through on. Make sure you have hdmi 3 set to enhanced and hdmi 4 set to enhanced 8k
Delivery went great! Just one guy though, had to help him carry it up the steps, whew, HEAVY TV!
I haven't set it up yet, Geek squad should be here around 8:00am to mount it.
Also, if I connect my Blu-ray player to the TV too, do I select enhanced for that port?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Delivery went great! Just one guy though, had to help him carry it up the steps, whew, HEAVY TV!
I haven't set it up yet, Geek squad should be here around 8:00am to mount it.
Also, if I connect my Blu-ray player to the TV too, do I select enhanced for that port?
Yes and your cable box as well if it’s capable of outputting 4K. Or any 4K device.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Okay, I've had the beast up and running for a few days now and these are my first thoughts, for anyone just interested, or possibly buying if you can find one still.

The good stuff,
This TV is insanely bright! So far I've watched uncut gems 4k Dolby vision on netflix, and the first two Harry Potter's on 4k Blu-ray on a UB9000. The brightness of things like the lights in the pawn shop really looked like staring right into a bright fluorescent light! Chamber of secrets impressed too, the UB9000 showing a max cll of I beileve just under 2900 nits!

I've heard that 8K upscaling doesn't make 4k content look any better, but this TV has this insane depth and clarity I've not seen on any other TV I've owned, including an A9G and Z9D.

Uniformity is absolutely perfect, no banding, dse, just clean as can be.

The not so good and bad

Black levels in sdr are as good as it gets for an LED. In hdr, the actual picture has great contrast and blacks, but the cinemascope bars, to be blunt, are about the same as the Z9F I had briefly, but given the insane brightness( and I've not seen this TV at it's peak yet) I can live with this. Now, my theater room is 100% blacked out, if you have some light in the room this becomes less of an issue.

Audio issues using a denon receiver and earc.
About once an hour when using the built in apps, I lose sound, and have to switch to TV speakers and back to audio system for it to return, this does not occur on hdmi connected devices.

Next issue happens on hdmi and over the built in apps.
When I'm on the netflix home screen or my series X home screen, I get static through all of my speakers. Bringing up the settings menu makes this go away.

Also, this TV is damn heavy, no other way to put it. I'd recommend a wide wall mount that can hit at least three studs. After seeing this thing barely make it up my stairs, and the flex of my dry wall as it thundered down onto the wall bracket, I'm glad I did.

Got a lot of 4K Blu-rays still to watch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Z9f which I think has fair viewing angles for an lcd how does the Z9g compare? Have they improved or pretty much stayed the same?

581 - 600 of 626 Posts