601 - 620 of 626 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Delete.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a Z9f which I think has fair viewing angles for an lcd how does the Z9g compare? Have they improved or pretty much stayed the same?
They look about the same as the Z9F to my eye.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Guys, finally got around to testing my series X with a 2.1 cable, and it looks like hdmi port 4 is dead... I have my Denon on hdmi 3, and UB9000 on hdmi 2, which only leaves me hdmi 1 for my series X. This led to the discovery that port 1, while it works somewhat, is also messed up. On port 1 I can't get hdr no matter what( tried 5 different cables on 4 devices) and there is also artifacting that looks like macro blocking you would see in a heavily compressed stream.

I'm going to be returning it guys, I won't take a Z8H or Z9J as replacement due to the huge downgrade in nits and zones.
I'll probably take a shot at the 85" Samsung QN90A.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Guys, finally got around to testing my series X with a 2.1 cable, and it looks like hdmi port 4 is dead... I have my Denon on hdmi 3, and UB9000 on hdmi 2, which only leaves me hdmi 1 for my series X. This led to the discovery that port 1, while it works somewhat, is also messed up. On port 1 I can't get hdr no matter what( tried 5 different cables on 4 devices) and there is also artifacting that looks like macro blocking you would see in a heavily compressed stream.

I'm going to be returning it guys, I won't take a Z8H or Z9J as replacement due to the huge downgrade in nits and zones.
Z9J Zones are not confirmed nor is brightness
Anything from China, take with a grain of salt,
until the well know reviewers like Vincent and others on here get them in for testing. I’m gonna treat anything new as unknown!

·
Registered
85” Z9G- 77” A9G
316 Posts

Man I feel you. Mine has been awesome except the rebooting issue every time I turn the tv on which is starting to drive us nuts! I just don’t think Sony has new Z9G replacements and the only other tv I would even want is the A90J.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Did you try playing with the HDMI format menu on the TV?

From this review:
"The HDMI4 port has a special menu that can be used to activate "enhanced mode" (for 8K or 4K120)."

I did, I just don't get any signal.

Port 1 is what's really got my curiosity.
HDR will not work on this port at all, just won't. The picture is also very washed out and there is some strange artifacting going on.

Whats weirder is if I go into the Xbox series X display settings, It says my TV supports everything(hdr included) except for VRR, but hdr will not engage, I've tried everything that popped into my head, it just won't.
I inspected port 1 for damage or defects from manufacturing, but it looks fine, no bent pins or anything you'd expect to see on a bad port.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
You can rule out physical damage to the ports by temporarily swapping the devices that are currently working on HDMI 2/3 over to these malfunctioning ports. Does your UB9000 and Denon work on HDMI ports 1 and 4? If so, then it sounds like some issue specific to the Xbox. In that case, does Xbox work correctly on HDMI 2 and 3 (minus the HDMI 2.1 features)?

·
Registered
370 Posts
You can rule out physical damage to the ports by temporarily swapping the devices that are currently working on HDMI 2/3 over to these malfunctioning ports. Does your UB9000 and Denon work on HDMI ports 1 and 4? If so, then it sounds like some issue specific to the Xbox. In that case, does Xbox work correctly on HDMI 2 and 3 (minus the HDMI 2.1 features)?
If I switch the Xbox over to hdmi 2 where the ub9000 was, it works just fine.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Supposedly his TV was quality checked and calibrated by the retailer prior to shipping. Seems like a pretty large oversight to miss two non functioning HDMI ports.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Is your TV coming with warranty ? Did you ask Sony or the store about it ?
I have Emailed the store about returning it. I know Sony will want to give me a Z8H... no.
I've actually Pre-ordered an 85" QN90A as a replacement.

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Registered
SONY XBR85Z9G, XBR48A9S, SONOS Theater Surround System, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5, XBOX SERIES X
480 Posts
I have Emailed the store about returning it. I know Sony will want to give me a Z8H... no.
I've actually Pre-ordered an 85" QN90A as a replacement.
Once you make sure HDMI 4 is set to enhanced 8K, plug in the Xbox and go into the settings where you also have to enable all the 4K/120 features. Also make sure HDR is set properly on your Xbox. It may be an issue with your series x more so than the TV. HDMI 1 issue your having is weird though. It sure about it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Once you make sure HDMI 4 is set to enhanced 8K, plug in the Xbox and go into the settings where you also have to enable all the 4K/120 features. Also make sure HDR is set properly on your Xbox. It may be an issue with your series x more so than the TV. HDMI 1 issue your having is weird though. It sure about it.
I have. Simply moving the Xbox over to port 2 (also tested 3) causes everything to work as it should, I just can't get any signal on port 4 at all. Port 1 I'm going to see if I can follow up with Sony when they get this back, at wherever defective TV's go. I'm really curious as to what the issue is with port 1.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A new firmware is available for Sony Z9G from 2/22/2021 and as per the notes it
  • Improves general performance and stability

If anyone else finds any more detail please update here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Z9J Zones are not confirmed nor is brightness
Anything from China, take with a grain of salt,
until the well know reviewers like Vincent and others on here get them in for testing. I’m gonna treat anything new as unknown!
It's from the same source that disassembled Z9G and Z8H. Pretty trustworthy in my book.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Amazon suddenly has one in stock, ships from and sold by Amazon. I would usually not post something like this here, but I figured since it's a rare, discontinued model, someone might like a chance at it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Amazon suddenly has one in stock, ships from and sold by Amazon. I would usually not post something like this here, but I figured since it's a rare, discontinued model, someone might like a chance at it.
Although this is a nice find, I would discourage anyone from paying 12K for this television.
Please note that I paid 13K when this amazing television first became available. I just don't think it is worth that kind of money now.
I would recommend waiting until the Z9J reviews are in before even considering this purchase (at this price).

601 - 620 of 626 Posts