AVS Forum banner

621 - 626 of 626 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
So happy to have found this thread. Thank you all for sharing. Hoping the history and your experience can help me find an ideal panel for my uses.

As background, I started looking for a new TV in November 2020 after acquiring a new PS5. I soon realized that the new gaming system had potential that I could not tap given my old TV. I'm not upset -- I purchased my last TV in 2012 and has served me well (70" Sharp Elite LED). While the Elite gives me a great picture from my sources, it's only 1080P and lagging behind the current standards. (And for further perspective, I still have my 50" Fujitsu plasma from 2006 and still looks fabulous in the loft).

I talked to my local Magnolia rep on Black Friday and thought we had found the perfect panel -- 77" A9G on sale! But then started to do research on everything else I would need to upgrade. The core of my home theater setup was an equally ancient AVR (McIntosh MX 121) and it would not be able to handle 4K pass-thru. So the need to upgrade the AVR and TV ended up snowballing into new Atmos speakers (Martin Logan Sistine4XC), a new 4K Blu-ray player, a new amp and new cables. Wow! And all to support a PS5!

I won't bore you with all the details, but the hidden benefit was that the new AVR was not in stock and could not be delivered until January 2021. During that time, I was able to see, research and explore what TV to add. Realizing the A9G was a 2019 panel and did not have an HDMI 2.1 input, it was soon discarded. I then moved on to trying to decide between the 77" LG CX/GX and decided that the CX was the best choice. But then I had the benefit of CES and seeing the lineup of all the 2021 TVs. More information to consider but hopefully with a better panel.

Since CES, I've considered the 77" G1 Evo and the 83" A90J. The arguments for each TV involved the aesthetics, brightness and gaming performance of one (G1) versus the size, great reviews and acclaim to the other (A90J). But then I saw the 75" Z8H and remembered how excited I was when I saw the 77" ZX (LG's 8K set). Seeing a few Vincent Teoh reviews on the benefits of an 8K set convinced me that I should explore more.

I know all the arguments against getting an 8K set (price/lack of content) but reading these reviews makes me realize that there is something more. I'm not likely to buy a new set in a few years and so I want something that does not make me want/have to look for another set. I was excited about OLED but now realize that every technology has limitations. And the reviews on the Z9G remind me of, as Vincent says it, "the joy of nits."

So I am past the window for an Z9G, but am very eager to hear more about the Z9J. I think it might have real advantages over the OLED panels. My location is not super bright, but I would like the brightness that an LED can provide. I would welcome any perspective you can provide. What should I be looking for? What else would you consider if you had to replace your Z9G?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So happy to have found this thread. Thank you all for sharing. Hoping the history and your experience can help me find an ideal panel for my uses.

As background, I started looking for a new TV in November 2020 after acquiring a new PS5. I soon realized that the new gaming system had potential that I could not tap given my old TV. I'm not upset -- I purchased my last TV in 2012 and has served me well (70" Sharp Elite LED). While the Elite gives me a great picture from my sources, it's only 1080P and lagging behind the current standards. (And for further perspective, I still have my 50" Fujitsu plasma from 2006 and still looks fabulous in the loft).

I talked to my local Magnolia rep on Black Friday and thought we had found the perfect panel -- 77" A9G on sale! But then started to do research on everything else I would need to upgrade. The core of my home theater setup was an equally ancient AVR (McIntosh MX 121) and it would not be able to handle 4K pass-thru. So the need to upgrade the AVR and TV ended up snowballing into new Atmos speakers (Martin Logan Sistine4XC), a new 4K Blu-ray player, a new amp and new cables. Wow! And all to support a PS5!

I won't bore you with all the details, but the hidden benefit was that the new AVR was not in stock and could not be delivered until January 2021. During that time, I was able to see, research and explore what TV to add. Realizing the A9G was a 2019 panel and did not have an HDMI 2.1 input, it was soon discarded. I then moved on to trying to decide between the 77" LG CX/GX and decided that the CX was the best choice. But then I had the benefit of CES and seeing the lineup of all the 2021 TVs. More information to consider but hopefully with a better panel.

Since CES, I've considered the 77" G1 Evo and the 83" A90J. The arguments for each TV involved the aesthetics, brightness and gaming performance of one (G1) versus the size, great reviews and acclaim to the other (A90J). But then I saw the 75" Z8H and remembered how excited I was when I saw the 77" ZX (LG's 8K set). Seeing a few Vincent Teoh reviews on the benefits of an 8K set convinced me that I should explore more.

I know all the arguments against getting an 8K set (price/lack of content) but reading these reviews makes me realize that there is something more. I'm not likely to buy a new set in a few years and so I want something that does not make me want/have to look for another set. I was excited about OLED but now realize that every technology has limitations. And the reviews on the Z9G remind me of, as Vincent says it, "the joy of nits."

So I am past the window for an Z9G, but am very eager to hear more about the Z9J. I think it might have real advantages over the OLED panels. My location is not super bright, but I would like the brightness that an LED can provide. I would welcome any perspective you can provide. What should I be looking for? What else would you consider if you had to replace your Z9G?

Thanks in advance.
Hi and Welcome to the Z9G loft.

As you can see from the amount of posts, this is not a very busy room due to the television's age, and above all, the price of such a great television set (Z9G).

I don't think I would use the word "replace" when talking about the Z9G. I seriously doubt that the Z9J will be able to match the brightness and other premium features that makes the Z9G a legendary television.

I am also in the market for a new set. I will be moving my Z9G to my downstairs entertainment area, but I have yet to purchase its replacement. The truth is: we are all waiting for pricing and availability of the new Z9J. Like yourself, I have seen all the marketing and hype from SONY, but it has me questioning some of the technology and how it will compare to the Z9G. One area of great concern is: it appears that SONY has abandoned the "Black Master Drive" technology, or maybe just stopped talking about it. But, any Z9G owner will tell you that the "Black Master Drive" is one of the key features that makes the Z9G standout from any other 8K LED set (i.e., Samsung and LG).

I am very much looking forward to reviews from Vincent and some of the trusted professionals from the AVSforum (d-nice, jrref, and others). Although, I am not sure if SONY will make Z9J loaners available to someone like Vincent for review due to its price. Granted, it is not expected to be quite as expensive as the Z9G so maybe they will ship a few sets to Digital Trends' Caleb and others - don't hold your breath. This is exactly what happened with the Z9G when it first came out. Vincent and other reviewers had no choice but to travel to a designated SONY site in order to review the Z9G - and only for a few hours. So, the many of them could take their time to complete a good assessment of the television.

Anyway, right now, I am looking forward to reviews for the 85" Z9J and 83" A90J (OLED).

Just know that there is no perfect set. I have a 77" LG CX for the bedroom and the 85" Z9G for the upstairs entertainment room.
Just purchase a television/technology based on the type of room you are going to be watching it in.
Consider:
  • Room size
  • Natural light / Brightness
  • Viewing distance / angle(s)
  • Shape of the room (Acoustics), Atmos
  • Gaming features, if gaming is important to you (ALLM,VRR, Lag, etc.)

Good Luck

·
Registered
371 Posts

As you can see from the amount of posts, this is not a very busy room due to the television's age, and above all, the price of such a great television set (Z9G).

I don't think I would use the word "replace" when talking about the Z9G. I seriously doubt that the Z9J will be able to match the brightness and other premium features that makes the Z9G a legendary television.

I am also in the market for a new set. I will be moving my Z9G to my downstairs entertainment area, but I have yet to purchase its replacement. The truth is: we are all waiting for pricing and availability of the new Z9J. Like yourself, I have seen all the marketing and hype from SONY, but it has me questioning some of the technology and how it will compare to the Z9G. One area of great concern is: it appears that SONY has abandoned the "Black Master Drive" technology, or maybe just stopped talking about it. But, any Z9G owner will tell you that the "Black Master Drive" is one of the key features that makes the Z9G standout from any other 8K LED set (i.e., Samsung and LG).

I am very much looking forward to reviews from Vincent and some of the trusted professionals from the AVSforum (d-nice, jrref, and others). Although, I am not sure if SONY will make Z9J loaners available to someone like Vincent for review due to its price. Granted, it is not expected to be quite as expensive as the Z9G so maybe they will ship a few sets to Digital Trends' Caleb and others - don't hold your breath. This is exactly what happened with the Z9G when it first came out. Vincent and other reviewers had no choice but to travel to a designated SONY site in order to review the Z9G - and only for a few hours. So, the many of them could take their time to complete a good assessment of the television.

Anyway, right now, I am looking forward to reviews for the 85" Z9J and 83" A90J (OLED).

Just know that there is no perfect set. I have a 77" LG CX for the bedroom and the 85" Z9G for the upstairs entertainment room.
Just purchase a television/technology based on the type of room you are going to be watching it in.
Consider:
  • Room size
What are the other ''legendary'' features the Z9G has? Besides Z9G being brighter and the Z9J being better long term for gaming when VRR and ALLM firmware comes out, and having a newer picture processor, we don't know how the colors/black levels will look. We don' how the blooming will compare to the Z9G as well until people here have them both side by side and give their reviews....

·
Registered
80 Posts

Consider:
  • Room size

Good Luck
Ereyes06,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I wanted to clarify what I meant by "replace."

I think that you, as an owner, will have a perspective that is wholly informed by experience -- you're not trying to sell a TV, nor are you trying to review the panel based on a limited interaction. Your time with the set allows you to assess those qualities that are truly important and others that are not. It is this understanding and knowledge that I am trying to capture.

I think that, had I been in the market for a TV in 2019, I would have ended up with a Z9G, for all the attributes listed in this thread. But I implicitly acknowledge that I identify closely with the individuals who did select it. And my "replace" comment is just meant to get your analysis and hopefully guidance on those panels that you think are "worthy", given other options and current availability. That's it. I understand that the Z9G is unique and cannot be "replaced."

Thanks for the other information. I think the other TVs you identified align with my thinking of top TVs for this purchase cycle. As I mentioned, this panel will go in a large room with considerable light (wall of windows), high ceilings (10'+) and open to the kitchen area. For acoustics, I've already addressed them and will be using this TV as a monitor and not for sound. We will use it primarily for movies, streaming and sports, while my son will want to game.

I will continue to check back here but thanks for your thoughts and time. I look forward to the Z9J and A90J reviews as well.

Yours truly,

Luca

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
I love my Z9G and I enthusiastically wait for a TV that will outperform it to be released, as I will not let it go until that day comes.

I think this is gonna take a while.

Reactions: JimmyBeckett
621 - 626 of 626 Posts