AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
It only has 2 HDMI 2.1 features that I’️m aware eARC and 8k @60hz.
lets put it this way.
the z9g was sony's flagship model in 2019, and even in 2020, they have not released a screen with same capabilities,
Actually Sony has released a 85" Z9H in Japan only, this february. Yes Z9H not Z8H. I was very surprised to learn about this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
8k demo movie

did anyone find as a source to the 8k rio carnival or 8k game demo?

searching the web only give my youtube, probably not real 8k like the demo.

·
Registered
390 Posts
saw a comparison with Samsung Q900

i wonder how objective the writer is, as writing the sony got up to 1400 nits, and the Samsung to 1800 nits.
while the sony can really push up to 4000 nits and ideally 3000 nits.

Forbes: "the 85Z9G and 98Z9G measure a phenomenal 3700 and 4000 nits of brightness respectively on a 10% white HDR window. That’s a truly huge accomplishment - one that essentially matches the light output of the Pulsar mastering monitor Dolby uses for its Dolby Vision HDR home entertainment mastering."

4k.com: "The Samsung Q900 is a very bright 8K HDR TV by any normal measure that we’d normally apply to 4K TVs we’ve previously reviewed. It can output well above 1500 nits in full HDR mode and even for HDR content it delivers mostly strong peak and sustained brightness. "

so I fail to recognize how Samsung has more nits than the sony
techradar.com The Samsung Q950(european Q900rb) is easily the best HDR TV to date, capable of delivering a massive peak brightness of 3,800nits. That basically means this QLED TV can display 1,000nit content without tone mapping, and 4,000nit content with almost no tone mapping. What little tone mapping is required is spot on, and the HDR colour accuracy is exceptional with 100% of DCI-P3.

I wouldn't worry about that"review" haha...both tvs got weird numbers, and Im sure in real world content, the sony is probably a bit brighter then the samsung:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
How would you even watch it? The TV can’t stream 8k. It also can’t receive 8k from a usb drive. The only way to get it is over hdmi 2.1, which has no source components at the moment other than perhaps a few android devices.
why it cant receive a USB drive?
It has 3 USB ports, 1 of them is USB 3.
and you can maybe hook the mackbook via hdmi2.1 cable. (not sure about this one)

·
Registered
10 Posts
white light spot on screen

has anyone here encountered a spot of light on the screen?
it's on the left side, I tried to change settings the light don't really disappear,
on black picture, it is more green light.

·
Registered
214 Posts
it's on the left side, I tried to change settings the light don't really disappear,
Can you take a pic? My first one had screen coating issues and got replaced. My second one has been awesome so far.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Actually Sony has released a 85" Z9H in Japan only, this february. Yes Z9H not Z8H. I was very surprised to learn about this.
Looks identical in design and features to the Z9G we get in NA. In fact, I'd wager it's the same TV as the Z9G but for the Japanese market. You'll notice on the Japanese Bravia site that there's no entry for the Z9G, so perhaps they got the model later than the rest of the world and decided to call it an "H" to align with their other 2020 releases there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Looks identical in design and features to the Z9G we get in NA. In fact, I'd wager it's the same TV as the Z9G but for the Japanese market. You'll notice on the Japanese Bravia site that there's no entry for the Z9G, so perhaps they got the model later than the rest of the world and decided to call it an "H" to align with their other 2020 releases there.
Quite possible. Then I guess the next in line will be Z9I or J

·
Registered
43 Posts
Z9H - Japan

I checked the Z9H - Japan specs and pictures after seeing JoelArt's (?) post. The dimensions and stand legs of the 85Z9H-Japan (w/BMD) are the same as the 85Z9G. The stand legs of the Z8H are completely different than the Z9G. Seems like the Z9H is either a rebadged Z9G for the Japanese market or (I wish, but unlikely) an upgraded software version of the Z9G.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I checked the Z9H - Japan specs and pictures after seeing JoelArt's (?) post. The dimensions and stand legs of the 85Z9H-Japan (w/BMD) are the same as the 85Z9G. The stand legs of the Z8H are completely different than the Z9G. Seems like the Z9H is either a rebadged Z9G for the Japanese market or (I wish, but unlikely) an upgraded software version of the Z9G.
It seems like great news if the Z9H is identical to the Z9G. That might mean that Sony will work on more significant firmware updates and feature adds for a longer time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone, currently deciding between 85 Z9G or waiting this generation out. I have a few questions:

1. What's the HDMI bandwidth on Z9G? Most importantly does it support 8K 4:4:4?

There's information that Z8H will eventually support [email protected] and Z9G will be upgraded to support the same format. But there's no word on whether the HDMI2.1 bandwidth will support 8K 4:4:4.

2. Did Sony put out the promised HDMI 2.1 firmware update? It's been almost a year and Z9H(Japan) already launched but still no pip.

Don't know whether BMD will make a return in the next-gen Sony flagship, and probably nothing big will happen in the display tech space next year(no CLEDIS or mLED mass model), so I'm wondering whether I should pull the trigger and buy the Z9G now.

---

Regarding Z9H info I see some people asking in the thread: it's a Z9G fitted with NHK's BS-8K decoder, so you can watch 8K broadcast without buying a decoder box. That's it.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Hi everyone, currently deciding between 85 Z9G or waiting this generation out. I have a few questions:

1. What's the HDMI bandwidth on Z9G? Most importantly does it support 8K 4:4:4?

There's information that Z8H will eventually support [email protected] and Z9G will be upgraded to support the same format. But there's no word on whether the HDMI2.1 bandwidth will support 8K 4:4:4.
I’ve been told by a Sony rep at my dealer that it is the full 48Gbps supported under HDMI 2.1, which is consistent with what I have seen online, but I can’t independently confirm that. With a 10-bit panel, it shouldn’t matter whether it’s 40 or 48Gbps based on the speed charts that I’ve seen.

I doubt that you will see any display support 8k 4:4:4 without Display Stream Compression for many years because 10-bit would require 80Gbps. So the question is whether the Z9G supports Display Stream Compression, which I doubt but do not know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve been told by a Sony rep at my dealer that it is the full 48Gbps supported under HDMI 2.1, which is consistent with what I have seen online, but I can’t independently confirm that. With a 10-bit panel, it shouldn’t matter whether it’s 40 or 48Gbps based on the speed charts that I’ve seen.

I doubt that you will see any display support 8k 4:4:4 without Display Stream Compression for many years because 10-bit would require 80Gbps. So the question is whether the Z9G supports Display Stream Compression, which I doubt but do not know.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes according to data rate sheets, 40 Gbps won't impact any real usage under 12-bit and if DSC bandwidth is high enough there shouldn't be any issues on any 8K modes since at most 60hz will use 18 Gbps and even 120hz 4:4:4 12bit (a future far... far away) will only use 40 Gbps. HDTVTest video on HDMI 2.1 mentions that DSC bandwidth situation on many TVs are unclear since some EDIDs don't have that info.

I sure hope Sony issues a clear guideline on the HDMI 2.1 situation. I couldn't find reliable info on whether Z9G has 48 or 40 gbps port or when that support will be announced. Given Sony's track record of software updates I don't really trust their "upgrades" will ship on time or with good enough quality.

Z9G looks to be a fine set though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello good people

Today I became a new member of the Z9G owners. Still not shipped or wall-mounted in a few days, and I will have everything setup.
which leads me to a few question, hope you can help:

1. is there any guide to adjust all setting or to calibrate, and is the calibration effect noticeable,
I mean.. when buying one of the best scenes available, not having it 100% is like purchasing a porch and driving 50mph.

2. how do you play high res movies. I have a torrent tracker where I can get the best quality movie files, Dolby, 4k, big files that I'm not sure its best to stream ((b.t.w I have three invites, if any owner of the z9g needs one feel free to contact me)).
I have a MacBook, and I have "plex" installed, not sure I can stream without backups, how do you play your video files, you use a USB stick? Or connect the mac via HDMI to the screen?

3. I am also looking for apps to download on TV and use to stream high-quality sports channels, are there such?

Answers to your questions
1. Calibration effect is somewhat noticeable. The most accurate out-of-the box is Custom mode, the average delta error was around 4 for my tv and max was 6. I used AutoCal feature using the Calman Autocal with Xrite-pro meter and I am no expert. It creates two new modes Custom Pro 1 & Custom Pro 2, which makes a difference. After calibration the average error was around 1 and max was 2.
2. I use Kodi with Easynews and after tweaking some settings for each movie, because each movie presents different settings. The HDR impact is unparalleled and I am coming from a 3 year experience of OLED C7 65 inches and after seeing specular highlights and awesome backlight control, I can't go back to OLED. I have also played up to 70 GB ripped images over the network directly from the TV using KODI, it's own Windows Media Player and VLC. No problem
3. I am not a big sports fan so dont' know that

·
Registered
102 Posts
So I’ve googled for literally hours and cannot decide whether to jump on an 85z9g or stick with my 77a1e. The price is irrelevant, as I would have been in the same position whether it is $6k or $13k. I have the budget for one or two upgrades right now and I usually upgrade something every year with the caveat that I always keep things 2-3 years.

My 10 year TV history is 60 inch Pioneer Kuro —> 85x950b (I think Sony’s first 4K set) —> 77A1E. The OLED has been fantastic though I do miss the 85 inch size. It’s a pretty big difference. The biggest reason I downsized in the first place was the x950b’s lack of HDR.

(1) I have seen lots of posts from people who had a z9d and now have a z9g. I also have seen posts from people who have 65 inch OLEDs and a z9g, but has anyone gone from a 77 inch OLED to this tv? I’m worried that I’ll very disappointed with all of the blooming and be stuck with it for 2 years. On the other hand, 8k with NVIDIA’s upcoming 3080ti would be fantastic.

(2) Has anyone ever been able to confirm the table in that FlatPanel stating that the HDMI port will be upgraded to accept 8k60 signals? Sony’s site still says 8k30. I don’t want to be limited like the first Sony 4K TVs were. I had a similar problem with a 10gb port on the x950b and I don’t want to go back there.
I am from those people who have moved from 65 inches OLED C7 to this monstrous 85 inches. I LOVE this TV and my decision of moving away from OLED for this TV. If you watch in pitch-black room, then you'll observe occasional blooming (in HDR) but if you add a little bit of bias lighting or overall increase the lighting of the room you watch, You'll absolutely love this TV. Best ever HDR experience and most of the good content that I watch is in HDR, either it is a movie or a good show from Netflix, amazon etc. Morever, this TV provides so many settings that you can make SDR looks better than HDR of OLED.

HDMI 4 already accepts 8k 60 Hz but we'll have to wait the confirm it because there is no source available that can output 8K 60HZ

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can any owners comment on this set for gaming? I would love to get this set, however it’s lack of HDMI 2.1 is concerning and Vincent Teoh mentioned in his review that the response time for 1080p was higher than avg at 30msec. Will this tv be ok for gaming w/ the new PS5? I do a mix of 50/50 gaming and movie watching.
I own a PS4 pro and have played God of War 3 on this TV. I have already finished the game on my previous 65 inches OLED C7. But playing on this TV in HDR is one of the best experiences ever. I set the game to play in 4K instead of its performance mode, where it lowers the graphic fidelity and pushes 60 Hz. For GOW type games, this TV will give you the best experience with the BEST HDR highlights. However, I wouldn't play the first-person shooter on this TV online, but you for casual single-player mode, no problem. I can say that because I play battlefield 5 and COD on my PC at 240 HZ monitor. I have tried playing games from my PC on this TV but couldn't get an output. I believe it was because of the longer HDMI cable. I was using 100 ft HDMI optical cable to output in native 8k from PC to this TV. Youtube and other things were working fine but the moment I start a game in 8K, the whole screen would turn green and zoom in. So, I ended up returning the cable.

·
Registered
102 Posts

I have been using this TV for 3 weeks now and have been using it for almost 14 hours a day. I didn't see any such issue with the screen. Moreover, the screen is very clean, even cleaner than my previous C7 OLED. No DSE or dimmer edges. You should contact the seller.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Are you sure it can’t stream 8k? That is disappointing because I just decided on this tv, but I won’t change my mind because the price and the remainder of feature set are exceptional.
This is my only issue with this awesome TV that it can neither play 8k videos from youtube and nor from a USB drive. Based on the system specs of this TV, I don't think it will ever get this functionality to play 8k content locally. It will only be able to receive an 8K signal on its HDMI 4 input. So, if someone is hoping that one day we'll get a firmware update to play 8k content locally on this TV, he/she will be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I own a PS4 pro and have played God of War 3 on this TV. I have already finished the game on my previous 65 inches OLED C7. But playing on this TV in HDR is one of the best experiences ever. I set the game to play in 4K instead of its performance mode, where it lowers the graphic fidelity and pushes 60 Hz. For GOW type games, this TV will give you the best experience with the BEST HDR highlights. However, I wouldn't play the first-person shooter on this TV online, but you for casual single-player mode, no problem. I can say that because I play battlefield 5 and COD on my PC at 240 HZ monitor. I have tried playing games from my PC on this TV but couldn't get an output. I believe it was because of the longer HDMI cable. I was using 100 ft HDMI optical cable to output in native 8k from PC to this TV. Youtube and other things were working fine but the moment I start a game in 8K, the whole screen would turn green and zoom in. So, I ended up returning the cable.
How were you trying to send 8k from your PC? DisplayPort to HDMI cable? I don’t think any graphics cards have HDMI 2.1 ports yet.

161 - 180 of 353 Posts