AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 60'' LCD Rear Projection TV. I am trying to decide why I should spend an additional $2000 to purchase the XBR model vs. the Grand Wega. I am not clear on the difference between an LCD HDTV(XBR) and a LCD HDTV Monitor(Grand Wega). If I am currently using a digital cable box, is there a reason I should spend the extra money and buy the XBR?

:confused:

Any information would be most helpful

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
The XBR might actually turn on.

Seriously, though, once Sony gets the new units out on the WE series, the picture is fantastic on HD. I have no basis for comparison to the XBR, but I'm hard-pressed to imagine that it would be $1500 better.

There are some other threads around here that discuss this. Do a search, and maybe other people have more information than I.

Good luck. And, I'd suggest that if you buy the WE model, give it a couple months to make sure the new ones are problem-free.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the 60xbr on order from CC since end of December. The xbr has a built in OTA HDTV tuner. You can just plug in your basic uhf/vhf antenna and pick up digital tv. Also, I have been told that the xbr has a better, or additional filters which gives it a little better picture. It also has a brighter bulb than the WE. There are a few other threads on here that can give you more info. Good luck on finding either one in stock anywhere.

·
Registered
536 Posts
XBR...on looks alone it's worth the extra money and then they throw in OTA tuner, if needed. And as someone else alluded to, you won't need to worry about that dreaded "buzzing" sound.

Dom

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not sure about the brighter bulb. What's funny is the XBR has a 120w figure listed and the GWIII a 100w figure yet both use the same • Lamp: XL-2100U lamp. This is according to the Sony Style web site when you look up the TVs and the specifications tab. I have always loved the XBR Sony's but this is the first time where I just don't see the picture difference justifying the price difference. I elected to use the $$$ saved by buying the GWIII to order the new HD TIVO unit coming out in Mar/Apr.

·
Registered
93 Posts
one day i was in CC, a sony tv rep happened to be there. i asked him the same question, and he told that the performance difference was so close that sony is dropping the xbr's next year, the price was to high to keep it competitive. $2000 more for a screen protector, and hd tuner built in, seems a little steep. i'm sure there may be some performance differences, but 2G worth? but the way, since i saved the money, i used $379 for a 5 year warrenty that covers the bulb, plus third repair, and they replace.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I could not justify the price difference. I will say the XBR's cabinet is much nicer looking, but not worth the money. Built in tuner? No need if you have Comcast, Satelite, etc.

In terms of PQ, IF and a big IF, every source was HD, then I think you might notice the XBR has a slightly better picture, but let's face it, the sources for the next several years will be a mixed bag. IMO, if the XBR could somehow improve on SD, that would be one things, but without a HD signal, all 60" TV's leave a lot to be desired and it is not the TV's fault. You won't notice a difference using the TV the way most people do, which is 90% SD.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The XBRs do indeed use the same bulb as the WEs, but drive it at 120W vs. 100W. This also translates into shorter bulb life (I believe 6000 hrs).

The biggest thing that drove me to the XBR was the appearance. Kind of plasma-like in many respects. My wife even thought it looked better. The built-in tuner is useful, but won't be once the HD-TiVo shows up.

The XBR has a finer, higher-contrast black screen than the WEs, and thus theoretically should be able to achieve better black level.

The XBRs have a broad range of user menu-accessible tweaks, including white balance, gamma, etc. These can allow you to make good use of the better black detail and lower correction/enhancement level of the Pro mode without going into the SM. However, through SM adjustments you can achieve (I believe) the same tweak level on the WE as the XBR.

So, net net is: built-in tuner, cooler appearance (IMO), slightly better PQ (hard to really see if equally tweaked), and better UM tweakability.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hi,

Just a few things:

The difference in MSRP between the WE and the XBR is $1500, not $2000 - granted, it's still a chunk of change but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Also, I don't believe Sony is doing away with the XBR GW - the Sony rep may have not known what he was talking about.

peace ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Further speculation on the XBR

The optic engine was redesigned for the GWIII and Sony will surely want to get some mileage out of it. According to a Sony press release sometime ago on the new SXRD chip, the XBR would be getting the new technology. (LCOS). That could be the break the Sony rep mentioned, as the optics would be completely different from the WE's. Hey, its just my opinion.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveDubya
Further speculation on the XBR

The optic engine was redesigned for the GWIII and Sony will surely want to get some mileage out of it. According to a Sony press release sometime ago on the new SXRD chip, the XBR would be getting the new technology. (LCOS). That could be the break the Sony rep mentioned, as the optics would be completely different from the WE's. Hey, its just my opinion.

Cheers

Dave
That would make sense, because i also asked him about lcos, and he said next year they will have a 3 chip LCOS.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
That would make sense, because i also asked him about lcos, and he said next year they will have a 3 chip LCOS.
Vandammeman,

When did you speak to the rep? Did he mean 2004 or 2005 for this new LCOS XBR?

·
Registered
93 Posts
He told me this in december, but i think he meant 05, because he said some time in late 04, or early05. he also said that the 3 lcd system gives better color saturation over the single chip like phillipes. i have seen the phillips and it is really smooth looking, and a really nice cabinet. but the color was washed ouy looking, and very poor gray scale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.