AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that most of Sony's domestic camcorders including the new Sony FX33 4K machine have the BOSS stabilization system.Is this a "must have item" and is it as revolutionary as Sony maintains?What are your experiences of the BOSS system and has it any downsides?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I notice that most of Sony's domestic camcorders including the new Sony FX33 4K machine have the BOSS stabilization system.Is this a "must have item" and is it as revolutionary as Sony maintains?What are your experiences of the BOSS system and has it any downsides?

You have asked this question many times here, and gotten the same answer. The downside is that the system only works with tiny sensors, same size as used in cell phones and action cams. Thus, poor low light performance (relatively), more noise, and little (but not no) ability to play with dof effects. And, for whatever other reasons, Sony seems to pair this stabilization system with inferior lenses. There is no doubt the picture quality is inferior to Sony's own cameras/ camcorders without the system. I used the BOSS with the Sony CX760; it's video was the worst of any camcorder I owned, though not directly because of the BOSS (it has a really small sensor, for one). The stabilization did enable me to walk with the camera as advertised, using wide angle. That's a nice ability, but not one to use much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are many cameras with OIS systems as good as Sony's BOSS, the Panasonic V750 has "hybrid" stabilisation which is excellent and IMO better than BOSS.
This is what I am interested in but I haven't seen any real-life side to side comparison yet. I'm torn between the Sony AX33 and Panasonic WX970 at the moment.

Can you share why Panasonic's Hybrid IOS is better than the BOSS? This is what I have "heard" so far:

- Hybrid IOS reacts faster than BOSS
- BOSS is more stable at 10x magnification

Any other observations?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts