AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there heard any news about Sony's next SXRD projector? Hopefully Cedia will shed some light.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coles7
Hopefully Cedia will shed some light.
I hope so, I am dying for an affordable SXRD projector. :)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
"Affordable" is a quite subjective term.

Personally, I'd love to see one with an MSRP under 5 figures in US$, but I don't think that's going to happen yet.

Best,

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Pretty strong rumors floating about that it will be shown at Cedia. Nothing to indicate it will be under $10K, though.

Dan

·
Premium Member
7,242 Posts
Maybe this is the topic to get more people to financially support the forum :)

TM

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody
Maybe this is the topic to get more people to financially support the forum :)

TM
WCG to ECG

Someone in the middle should start a thread to help support us :).

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Regarding what does look like an actual upcoming SXRD fp, people--and not in the "Official" rumor thread--are posting 5K-10K, and those numbers have interchangeably been contrast ratios and prices. I'm guessing the CR is 5K:1 with the dynamic iris nearly closed and a MSRP closer to $12K.

Dan

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Will it trump the higher end DLP's?

Will it be cheaper than the Higher end DLP's?

Will it be avialiable before an imitation 1080P DLP wobblator comes out?

Sony seems to go from a nice HS51 to a Qualia 004 and nothing in between in quality?

Ozzie

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches
"Affordable" is a quite subjective term.

Personally, I'd love to see one with an MSRP under 5 figures in US$, but I don't think that's going to happen yet.

Best,

Well $30,000 for the 004 is not what I would call affordable. Personally I was hoping for around $5,000 no more than $10,000.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
"Sony seems to go from a nice HS51 to a Qualia 004 and nothing in between in quality?"

I think a $5K 720p SXRD would do well; I might even buy one myself.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
I think a $5K 720p SXRD would do well; I might even buy one myself.
There is no 720p SXRD.

SXRD is and always was 1080p, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

$10k to $15k is probably what will be at Cedia and it's closing the gap between LCD and the 004.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
"SXRD is and always was 1080p".

That doesn't mean they can't/won't build 720p.

A 720p SXRD would nicely fill the gaping hole in their product range between the HS51 and the new 1080 SXRD pj.

Other possibilities are the BiNa LCD will do that, or that the latter may itself replace the HS51's panels.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan
$10k to $15k is probably what will be at Cedia and it's closing the gap between LCD and the 004.
I don’t get it?

Why are front projectors sold at such a premium? I mean Sony has there two new rear projection SXRD TV’s coming out September 19 for $4000 for a 50†and $5000 for a 60â€, there has to be a higher production coat involved in rear projection as apposed to front, those big plastic cabinets are not cheap to produce.

If Sony can give offer a 60†SXRD for $5000 why not a front projection?

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Quote:
There is no 720p SXRD.

SXRD is and always was 1080p, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Huh? What was the Qualia before the $3k upgrade kit. I only started to folllow this recently, but it had to be something less than 1080p for the early adopters to fork over another $3k.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim
Huh? What was the Qualia before the $3k upgrade kit. I only started to folllow this recently, but it had to be something less than 1080p for the early adopters to fork over another $3k.
1080i I believe.

The upgrade gave the qualia 1080p.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing the CR is 5K:1 with the dynamic iris nearly closed and a MSRP closer to $12K.
Sony´s soon to be released SXRD RPTV´s have a quoted contrast of 10.00:1, the FP should be the same. My amateur guess agrees that there will be no 1080p SXRD. Doesn´t it make sense to have a 1080p sxrd at 10k$ and at the lower end they have LCD which will be replaced by Bina LCD. With PS3 and blueray Sony have some nice help in selling the 1080p displays.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Actually, I believe the qualia upgrade gave the qualia users 1080p 60hz as an option. The original qualia was 1080p 24sf only.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
That doesn't mean they can't/won't build 720p.
You're right it doesn't mean they could not build a 720p panel.

However I think it wouldn't be that much cheaper in production than the current 0.61" 1080p panel. The future is 1080p (or 1080i for which you need 1080p if you don't want to downscale), so the question is why make a 720p panel now...

In the end, I don't think a manufacturer would make once step forward to make two steps back. Don't forget they already have a 720p LCD that is still in production.

Maybe we'll see a possible sub $5k HS-51 replacement as well. The next generation of LCD panels is just around the corner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07
Why are front projectors sold at such a premium?
Well, first of all there's alot more research and development necessary for a front projector than for a RPTV. You can't just pull the projection unit from a TV and use it as a projector. And yes there are higher production costs for a projector, the lens alone can make alot of a difference in price. A Qualia 004 lens is $3K alone so the rest of the projector could be $2K max. for a $5K unit. Not gonna happen.

I think this new SXRD could be very interesting as the Qualia had alot of features that not everyone needs. This starts at the expensive xenon bulb and powersupply and ends with the choice of three different lenses.

Don't get me wrong, I really like to choose between things but if a cheaper bulb, a standard lens, cheaper powersupply and a much simpler cooling system can cut the price in half, then Sony should release such a unit for people who do not need all these features.

Quote:

No, the Qualia 004 was always 1920x1080. What the upgrade will bring is the ability to accept a 1080p input signal from a video processor. The standard Qualia 004 R1 without the upgrade will only accept 1080i and 1080p24sf, as well as lower res signals. A 1080p signal was and is still not possible. So Sony is giving those of us who want it the option to let an external box handle the de-interlacing and scaling and therefore feed the projector it's native resolution of 1920x1080.

This is one thing I expect to see right from the start with a new unit. 1080i, 1080p and 1080p24sf should be accepted right away. I also hope they can bump up the CR a bit. After calibration the Qualia is about 2000:1, it already looks amazing but if they can give us more, why not...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Quote:
That has to do with what signal the PJ will accept. It shipped with 1080i 60hz input (among others). If you want you can upgrade it to accept 1080p 60hz for $3,000.

Naoh and Stephan are talking about the native panel resolution.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.