AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime really soon now, as in within a few weeks, I'm getting my first RPTV. This will be an upgrade from a dying 27", so needless to say, I'm looking at a big difference here. I get the general feeling the the Mits is a good unit from various comments made around here, but there are a few odd concerns that I have.

1) The xx511 doesn't have Quad Field Focus like the xx411 does. Instead, it has "MicroFine Plus" CRTs. What is a MicroFine Plus CRT as defined by Mits and does it make up for lack of quad field focus?

2) Would I be better off with the 411 over the 511? They seem identical, except for the HTDV tuner and quad field focus. OTA HD is the only option in my area, and the addition of HD to my area is part of the motivation in getting this TV. I'm guessing I'd need the promise module on the 411, so it's going to kick in another $995 to go that route.

3) I've read about red push and excessive overscan on the 511. Any comments? Can these be fixed after the fact, or is it the design of the TV?

Overall, what do you think of the 55511?

·
Registered
232 Posts
There have been a few 511 versus 411 threads here. I just traded my 511 for a 411. The 411 has better stretch modes and two more 1080i inputs, in addition to quad focus. The 511 has microfine "plus" CRTs, the promise module, and NetCommand and more features in the service menu (which can correct red push).

I have yet to find out what makes the 511's CRTs a "Plus" - Mits Customer Service couldn't tell me. Most of the so called benefits of the 511 seem fluff to me, while the 411 offers more real functionality IMHO. I bought a Samsung SIR-T151 HDTV tuner for OTA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought the 55411 for the stretch modes, 3 component inputs, and the lesser cost. I was thinking that I would probably buy an STB for Satellite that includes OTA so why pay for the integrated tuner. To me the real difference is the features mentioned above versus firewire and the 511 has a service menu accessible color decoder. The 411 requires an I2C fix for the color decoder and to my knowlege it is not available yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.