AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really dont know what to do. So here is my system, HD cable box, PS3, Monster power center, Emotiva XPA-3, Klipsch speakers, and a older Yamaha HTR-5760, everything works perfect with each other.

Two months ago I order and new Onkyo 707 receiver after a lot of research, and got a great deal on it. It gets to my house, hook everything up, start turning stuff on and I have a nasty ground loop hum coming from most of my speakers. So I research that, try 3 different suggestions to fix it and nothing works. So I figure it is the Onkyo and it gets sent back. Hook up the older Yamaha and everything is back to normal.

Over this past weekend after more searching I order the Yamaha 765 for again a great price. Comes in today, get everything hooked up, start turning everything on and notice that dreaded hum coming from my center channel and ever so slightly from my mains.
So after reading more Im guessing it could be my dimmer on my lights in the same room. So I disconnect the power wires from the light switch, hit the breaker again and its still there.

So now I am out of ideas, short of calling out the cable company for them to check the ground outside. So my question is am I missing anything(newer codecs) running my older Yamaha receiver with the PS3? I have an hdmi from the ps3 to the tv, and an optical from the ps3 to my receiver. Any suggestions or comments? This is really frustrating doing months of research and waiting for good deals, just to have this stupid problem.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixonrsx /forum/post/18300959

I really dont know what to do. So here is my system, HD cable box, PS3, Monster power center, Emotiva XPA-3, Klipsch speakers, and a older Yamaha HTR-5760, everything works perfect with each other.

Two months ago I order and new Onkyo 707 receiver after a lot of research, and got a great deal on it. It gets to my house, hook everything up, start turning stuff on and I have a nasty ground loop hum coming from most of my speakers. So I research that, try 3 different suggestions to fix it and nothing works. So I figure it is the Onkyo and it gets sent back. Hook up the older Yamaha and everything is back to normal.

Over this past weekend after more searching I order the Yamaha 765 for again a great price. Comes in today, get everything hooked up, start turning everything on and notice that dreaded hum coming from my center channel and ever so slightly from my mains.
So after reading more Im guessing it could be my dimmer on my lights in the same room. So I disconnect the power wires from the light switch, hit the breaker again and its still there.

So now I am out of ideas, short of calling out the cable company for them to check the ground outside. So my question is am I missing anything(newer codecs) running my older Yamaha receiver with the PS3? I have an hdmi from the ps3 to the tv, and an optical from the ps3 to my receiver. Any suggestions or comments? This is really frustrating doing months of research and waiting for good deals, just to have this stupid problem.

It might be the PS3. I have an issue (along with another member on the Emotiva thread) with my Xbox 360(and I've read this about the PS3). I have three Emotiva amps with a Yamaha 3900 pre.pro that runs silently, but the moment I turn on the 360...buzzzzzz.

Try the system with the PS3 off and hear what happens.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried that, I am pretty sure that is not the problem. Does anyone think it could be the HDMI cables I am using? Running HDMI from the cable box and ps3 directly into the tv, and using optical cables for sound, I do not get the hum. So I took and extra hdmi cable, plugged it into the hdmi out on the 765 and took the other end, and merely touched it to the hdmi in socket on the tv and I get a hum, take off no hum, touch again, hummmmmmm. Could it be the hdmi cables, I have three of the monoprice certified 1.3 cables.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixonrsx /forum/post/18301232

Tried that, I am pretty sure that is not the problem. Does anyone think it could be the HDMI cables I am using? Running HDMI from the cable box and ps3 directly into the tv, and using optical cables for sound, I do not get the hum. So I took and extra hdmi cable, plugged it into the hdmi out on the 765 and took the other end, and merely touched it to the hdmi in socket on the tv and I get a hum, take off no hum, touch again, hummmmmmm. Could it be the hdmi cables, I have three of the monoprice certified 1.3 cables.

Possibly the HDMI cable but doubtful. Problably the socket the display is plugged into. You can try something if like. If the display is on a 3 prong plug get on of the cheater adapters(3 into 2 for the wall) and plug your display into that. Then plug into wall socket. In some cases that will get rid of the ground loop hum. These adapters can be bought at Wally world for around $1.00. Cheap to try and may stop that hum. However that should also tell you that there is something wrong with the grounding problem in your abode.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Disconnect everything except the speakers. Make sure there are no strays hitting the back plate.

Turn the input to something like "CD" and turn it up a little. See if you can hear the hum.

If you can, look for a grounding plug on the back of the receiver. (Either near a phono input, or near the AM radio antenna input - connection (It will have little gound system).) Hook it to your monster power grounding screw.

If no humm, slowly add your components one at a time till you find the source.

It's possible you could be picking up some electrical field on one of your analog collections as well.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18301272

Possibly the HDMI cable but doubtful. Problably the socket the display is plugged into. You can try something if like. If the display is on a 3 prong plug get on of the cheater adapters(3 into 2 for the wall) and plug your display into that. Then plug into wall socket. In some cases that will get rid of the ground loop hum. These adapters can be bought at Wally world for around $1.00. Cheap to try and may stop that hum. However that should also tell you that there is something wrong with the grounding problem in your abode.

Just read the last post.

Grounding cheat plugs are a dangerous option. The grounding plug is there for a reason!

The outer shell on the HDMI connector is a ground. The TV is without a doubt the source of your issues. Try plugging them into the same Monster Power System on the same plug set bank (if it's arranged in banks that way)

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGriffin /forum/post/18301350

Just read the last post.

Grounding cheat plugs are a dangerous option. The grounding plug is there for a reason!

The outer shell on the HDMI connector is a ground. The TV is without a doubt the source of your issues. Try plugging them into the same Monster Power System on the same plug set bank (if it's arranged in banks that way)

Yes I agree, thats why I told him he also would need to find the grounding problem in his house. Also as for the cheater plug they do come with a grounding wire that goes to the screw on the outlet. I gave him this option to try, not as for a permanent solution. The display seems to be the problem or rather the outlet its plugged into. The cheater is just a test, not a solution.
Oh and one other thing DO NOT do this with amp or receiver.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts
The HDMI cables are not the problem. The problem is that you have power line interference travelling between your boxes along the shields of the cables connecting them until it can find a path back to ground -- a ground loop. The path back to ground is likely through a power cable, quite possibly the PS3. Once the circuit exists, the interference current flows, and your new receivers are evidently sensitive to that.

Although you can break the ground loop by removing its path back to ground, as by disconnecting the 3rd prong of a three prong plug, the ideal solution is to find the source of the interference current and fix it.

The single most common source for such garbage is the shield of the feed wire coming out of the wall for a cable or satellite TV system. This is easy to check. Simply disconnect the feed wire between the wall and your cable box and see if the hum goes away. Note, you do not have to be actually watching the cable TV for it to be the source of the problem. It is enough that it is wired to the rest of your system.

If the cable feed is your problem, that means either the feed is not properly grounded where it enters your house, or that the feed wire in the wall does not have its shield properly connected to that ground. This can be fixed. As an intermediate solution you can use an inexpensive ground blocker gadget on that cable feed wire which separates the shields on either side of it so the interference can't cross.

Another common source is having a power outlet that has the hot and ground sides reversed. You can get a plug checker gadget to test that.

--Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so disconnected the inline cable from the box, still hums. Everything is plugged into the Moster Power center into the proper locations. The only thing that is not connected in the Emo XPA-3, it is plugged into its own socket, and the power center is plugged into its own socket, they are on the same breaker. Oddly enough, after I tried doing the hdmis into the tvs directly from the ps3 and cable box, and using 2 optical cable, while switching through inputs on the receiver, it caused my xpa-3 to go into protect mode, I have no idea what is happening. So I put the older Yamaha back and once again everything is good. I hate this. I just want this to work properly. Everything is hooked up correctly, all speaker cables are used with bananas, so there are no strands causing problems. Oh well, at least everything is working now and still sounds great. I think I am just gonna keep the 765 and use it in my room as a 2 channel with the ipod dock and energy rc-10's, and my decent 12" sub. It sounds really good in my room. Ohh one other thing, do you think I can use the new optimizer mic with my older yamaha? I have everything set up manually, but havent really dont anything since I got my new sub.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It sounds like you still haven't tried removing the TV from the loop completely - you need to have only your amp and AVR plugged in and see if there is hum on an input like CD. It may be frustrating to pin it down but it's the best course of action.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will give that a shot tomorrow....what would be your suggestion if it is the tv that is the culprit? the tv is a 13 month old samsung 61" led projection tv.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Then we determine what's the cause - a catv or satellite line that's ungrounded or an internal issue. There are possible fixes for both.

·
Registered
74 Posts
"Everything is plugged into the Moster Power center into the proper locations. The only thing that is not connected in the Emo XPA-3, it is plugged into its own socket, and the power center is plugged into its own socket, they are on the same breaker."

Try this: just for testing, pull out the monster power center. Use a single power strip for all components. Make sure that power strip is grounded by running a separate wire from the third prong of the strip's plug to something handy (water pipe, etc.) This eliminates two possible causes: (a) that there is a impedance or ground potential difference between the Monster Power Center side of your system and the Emotiva side (who knows what Monster puts in that box); and (b) that the circuit you think is grounded isn't really grounded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts