AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Sopranos entire series was recently released on Blu Ray, just wondering how the earlier seasons fared in terms of the HD re-release, as I really enjoyed the "grittiness" of 480p :)

Same for the Wire, I know it is not out on blu ray yet (releases June 2nd) but it's available in HD on HBOGo. Has anyone watched it and have opinons on the earlier seasons?

(Creator of both series has said he never wanted to re-release the series in HD because the standard definition gave it more of a realistic setting, however now he's eating his own words)

·
Registered
22,303 Posts
There's considerable discussion of The Wire's HD re-release in the HDTV forum. Its widely available from HBO and Amazon.

·
Registered
22,303 Posts
David Simon didn't particularly want The Wire to get a HD treatment, but when he learned that HBO was going ahead with it anyway he agreed to participate. The result is Simon's best effort at doing the transformation. The results are generally very good, fans of the show will want to see it.

The Sopranos has been available on BD for years, I don't think there's any reason to believe the video treatment has changed other than re-packaging for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
"Enjoy the grittiness of 480p " :eek:

Is 480p like the new vinyl for generation x'ers?

Season 1 Sopranos has been out on bluray for a long time and looks excellent. I bought the box set bluray a couple months back and haven't opened it yet, but I had already watched season 1 bluray. Very glad to hear about The Wire. I've watched the first half of season 1 several times and always stopped due to picture quality. I'll definitely be buying the bluray release!

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
601 Posts
"Enjoy the grittiness of 480p " :eek:

Is 480p like the new vinyl for generation x'ers?

Maybe a more apt comparison than you intended. I've seen at least one HD treatment of a classic standard-definition TV show where the DNR was laid on so heavily that the DVD actually had noticeably more fine detail in many shots. As with vinyl vs CD, a well-mastered product can be so much better than a shoddily-mastered product that the media's inherent limitations are irrelevant.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The Sopranos entire series was recently released on Blu Ray, just wondering how the earlier seasons fared in terms of the HD re-release, as I really enjoyed the "grittiness" of 480p :)

Same for the Wire, I know it is not out on blu ray yet (releases June 2nd) but it's available in HD on HBOGo. Has anyone watched it and have opinons on the earlier seasons?

(Creator of both series has said he never wanted to re-release the series in HD because the standard definition gave it more of a realistic setting, however now he's eating his own words)
David Chase never said that about The Sopranos, he loves film and shot Sopranos in widescreen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DVD rating- NR vs. TV-MA

]I'm looking to buy a complete set of Sopranos DVD's- new or used. First choice would be Blu-Ray. I would prefer the original TV-MA rated version, but can find only NR version and wonder if the NR version contains all the original video or if it has been sanitized for general audiences.

·
Super Moderator
16,256 Posts
Moved. TV-MA is the TV rating system. It is not used when rating Discs. NR would be the appropriate disc rating.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
I saw the series first run.

Was asking if the discs are well done.

I can watch the episodes on HBO Go but wondering if it's still worth getting the discs at this price.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sopranos series Blu-Ray box set is $49.95 on Amazon now.

Worth it?
I have watched the first 5 seasons of this excellent series and can say the Blu-Rays are also excellent. I also purchased The Wire on Blu-Ray but have not yet had time to watch the series. Right now I am watching Deadwood on Blu-Ray which is excellent and Ray Donovan on DVD. As far as price for an series check with Amazon, EBay, Deep discount and Amazon.UK before buying. Amazon.UK sells many series at excellent prices that are Region-Free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts