Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the stupid question

Rick

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by badmonkey
Original Aspect Ratio. Meaning broadcast in the same aspect ratio as it was recorded.

Not really.

OAR is predominately used to describe the ratio that a movie was originally conceived in by the director. The ratios most commonly seen are 1.66, 1.78, 1.85, 2.25, and 2.4. In many cases, the composition desired by the director is extracted from the film image which may have a different ratio. For example, if a movie is to be presented as a 2.35 composition but is filmed in Super 35, there is a lot more visual information on the film than is presented in the theater.

Until HD appeared, most movies shown on cable, satellite, etc were shown as 4.3 even though their theatrical release ratio might have been 1.85 or 2.35. With HD, widescreen presentations are common. But some broadcasters, most notoriously HBO, alters a 2.35 movie to broadcast it as 1.85. So it is not being broadcast in it's OAR. Most of us hate this policy. A few like it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a question, and this may be totally unrelated to OAR, but I'm not sure.

To set the stage: On HDNet they show the HDNet logo on the bottom right of the screen. On occasion (quite often actually), the "t" appears to be cutoff. This happens about 40-50% of my viewing of the station if I had to guess how often. The other 50-60% of the time I see the dull logo. I also notice this sometimes on Discovery HD theather (but they only flash the logo at the begining of the program). Does anyone else experience this?

I thought maybe my display was off the first time I saw this, so I went into the setup option on the Samsung HD box for centering the screen. I scrolled to the right and found that I could actually view the "t" and even a bit further. Also, I could scroll all the way to the left and there was "more picture" than what the screen was showing too.

My question is, does this relate to OAR, and why does this occur on some HD programming, but not on others?

If it matters, I have a 40XBR800 with Samsung TS160 HD box connected via DVI.

Thanks,

Jay

PS- I am going to start a seperate thread for this question, as it might not relate to OAR at all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It sounds to me like you have the aspect ratio on your Samsung set to something other than normal (ie. wide, panoramic, or stretch) but I didn't think that was possible using DVI.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
OAR may also be found on this forum as Original Aspect "Ration".

hmm, with the lack of true OAR, "ration" actually makes sense.... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.