AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, I know this has been asked tons of times but I am going to ask again.

If you were going to build your first HTPC, and was somewhat on a budget, which card would you go with?

The MyHD 120 for $280 + daughter board or the

Accessdtv for $200?

I am building the machine from a dell server, 2.26GHz/512K Cache, P4, 533FSB that I picked up for around $225 after rebate. Anyway, right now it will be used about 95% just as a HD box, but in the future I would like to make it into a full blown htpc, dvr, dvd burner, etc. So it will start little and proabably grow, but I hate buying things to just get buy, then have to re-buy something better later. Before I do get flamed, I have been reading for days, but I just am having a hard time picking between these two. if someone has a thread bookmarked that compares these two specifically, and if fairly recent that would work too. Thanks,

Brew

·
Registered
638 Posts
well, the great bonus about the MyHD 120 w/ DVI is the great DVD playback PQ aout of the box. But the budget option would be to set up zoom player with winDVD decoders and I think ffdshow. double check the ioptimal config.

so then its a questionof tuners and software. The MyHD card has a stronger tuner. The AccessDTV card has time shifting.

And since you mention you're on a budget, you know the Access DTV card is cheaper ;) Both are great.

jb

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I didn't realize dvd playback was even related to the hd cards. So I am assuming the idea is to play back the dvd through the hd card to upconvert? the signal to hd? Sorry, like I said I am a newbie. :)

Brew

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have both a AccessDTV and MyHD 100 card and still like the MyHD better. The tuner is better on the MyHD, the software is better, it has a guide program to use, and lets you play dvd's with it (i do not use this feature). The AccessDTV card could really be a better card, but the software still needs some work. There are some guys that are working to improve the software, but I can not really count software that is not available at this time. My AccessDTV card seems to locks up every so often, you have to press a button to engage the Time Shift mode every time you change the channel, you can not give custom times for the forward/reverse skip, and the tuner seems to take a lot longer to lock in channels when I change them. Most of these feature could be fixed with some new software making it a better card, but at this time I do not think it is.

Thanks,

Rare

·
Registered
6 Posts
My view is one sided. I only have mydh. But I am very happy with it. The dvd upconversion is a big plus.

Spend the extra $$$ its worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.