AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few friends were in town this past weekend, and I was showing off HD OTA. It just so happened we were watching TV Sunday night and Max Bickford came on. Could someone please explain to me what Zenith means by HD? The picture quality is terrible for that show. I haven't had a chance to watch other Zenith promoted shows, however, the quality IMO looks much better on my local satellite reception (which is poor to begin with). What happened to Panasonic? It appeared as though the first episode I watched of Max Bickford was crystal clear, and now the picture is crap. Sorry to beat a dead dog on this, but I am really having problems understanding what Zenith/CBS is trying to do. Can someone please explain this to me in English (not too technical) why this is happening. Thank You.

Cabber::confused:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I don't think you can blame Zenith for the picture quality! Zenith is simply paying CBS to sponsor the shows in HD and it is each production company that produces each shows reponsibility to get the show transfered from film to HD (via outsourced HD transfer facilities)! Even CBS is not to blame (although they can insist the production companies use better transfer facilities). Still when compared to ABC's HD CBS looks FAR BETTER!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Actually I beleive the first ep of Max B was shot on film and a hdtv transfer.

And the following ep's have been shot in HD video.. Yep, and they look worse, makes you wonder what is going on with the production of this show. Obviously something "creative"....

--tony

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyb100
Actually I beleive the first ep of Max B was shot on film and a hdtv transfer.

And the following ep's have been shot in HD video.. Yep, and they look worse, makes you wonder what is going on with the production of this show. Obviously something "creative"....

--tony
Obviously the producers/director are nit wits who think the "soft" look is "filmlike"...another expression that I really hate.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
This issue is being reviewed and addressed by the producers. Keep in mind shooting HDTV video in traditional film environments is new, just started last TV season. There is going to be a learning curve for the production and post production companies.

All I can say is that this will improve as these people get the feel of the equipment and it's capabilities as well as it's limits.

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is, usually, the point when someone jumps in to claim that the PQ is a function of being done in video as opposed to film. That particular response has always left me wondering why Leno looks so good.

Mike

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Video is often perceived to be sharper than film because of depth of field. To creative types this is the curse of video, not an attribute. Therefore many cinematographers try to soften the video image slightly to make it look more like film. there are both optical and electronic means to do this. The topic of this thread points out how difficult this is to do without softening the video image to the point where it loses all the benifits of HDTV.

I am an engineer and not an expert on the fine points of cinematography. Search posts from MikeMost in this section. He is an expert on creative production and expalins this problem in detail.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.