AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys, 

I'm setting up my first theater room and I think I've made a few mistakes already. So I jumped the gun and went ahead and ran my cabling (HDMI, audio, etc.) and had my basement finished. That means no open studs, ceiling joists, nodda. Everything is completely finished at this point down to the trim and pretty paint. On top of this I've already ordered my projector Optoma HD131Xw which is due to arrive in the next few hours. So in my great impatience to get things moving I forgot one key component  - throw distance. 

I just checked projector central's calculator and my optimum throw distance from screen to lens is right around 12' with the 131Xw. Unfortunately, with the way things are ran / screen my current throw distance is pretty close to 16'. I have a 100" motorized Dragonfly  that will be going up tomorrow as well. 

Based on what I've determined I can do the following: 

1) Move everything as best I can a few feet down. This will most likely mean busting up my nice new ceiling and drilling holes through a couple of joists, calling a drywaller and having them refinish, then paint etc. 

2) Go with the Epson 8350 which I can use with my current throw setup with no issues. I see an issue here with this being an older projector, losing 3D, etc. 

I'm leaning towards just moving everything and sticking with the HD131Xw since I may want to play around with 3D at some point in the future. 

My question is, are there any alternatives for a 16' throw that can compete with the HD131Xw up to $1200? Keep in mind I purchased the HD131Xw for around $700 on Amazon. I may willing to go higher if it means I don't have to dink around with cabling and power placement. 

Any thoughts appreciated. 

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
No projectors under $1,200 which can do it.

Hopefully you also ran more than one HDMI cable to the projector location or you put conduit in place. Also, I assume you need to move power.

I would move everything or get a larger screen. About 12' is the right distance for that screen size for the most projectors to hit it.

Oh, the Mits. HC7900DW comes close to doing it. 16'7" to a 100" diagonal...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-HC7900DW-projection-calculator-pro.htm

The offset on this model is significant as well. Since you didn't pay attention to throw distance, have you paid any attention to lens offset either?

·
Registered
37 Posts

Because I needed a longish throw on a budget I went for the Infocus IN8606HD, goes up to 2.09 throw ratio, but even with that you need to get down to a 15" 3' throw. There are very few longer throw units at the budget end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1513363/sort-of-in-a-jam-with-throw-distance-could-use-some-advice-on-next-steps#post_24251358

No projectors under $1,200 which can do it.

Hopefully you also ran more than one HDMI cable to the projector location or you put conduit in place. Also, I assume you need to move power.

I would move everything or get a larger screen. About 12' is the right distance for that screen size for the most projectors to hit it.

Oh, the Mits. HC7900DW comes close to doing it. 16'7" to a 100" diagonal...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-HC7900DW-projection-calculator-pro.htm

The offset on this model is significant as well. Since you didn't pay attention to throw distance, have you paid any attention to lens offset either?

I'm going to stick with the Optoma HD131Xw and just move HDMI, power, and CAT5e down to 12'. I should be able to fish new lines down one of the bays since they run east and west. They are filled with sound dampening insulation so it may be tough. I haven't looked at lens offset other than a quick google. Any advice for me there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish cook  /t/1513363/sort-of-in-a-jam-with-throw-distance-could-use-some-advice-on-next-steps#post_24251397

Because I needed a longish throw on a budget I went for the Infocus IN8606HD, goes up to 2.09 throw ratio, but even with that you need to get down to a 15" 3' throw. There are very few longer throw units at the budget end.

I'm learning that the hard way as I should have decided on my projector up front. Hopefully, I'll have this project wrapped up in a couple of weeks tops. 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts