AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got called on a customer emergency to Edmonton yesterday (sorry to all Edmontonians, I would have posted had I had more time to visit...)

I got done last night, so I went to "THE MALL" (West Edmonton Mall is the largest in the world) to do some Xmas shopping and to get into some trouble...:p No sales tax helps as well in Alberta!

So you gotta know, I don't 'DO' malls. I'm a typical guy shopper, run in, get what I want, get out as fast as I can, so loitering in a mall with no particular objective is not something that I do.

So I go into a retail stereo store, something that I have not done in years. It's a typical mall store layout, long and fairly narrow, maybe 1500 square feet or so.

The first thing I see is a $6500.00 (CDN) 55" Sony HDTV projector with a picture on it so bad, it had to be seen. There was nothing wrong with the set per se, just a horrible set up, convergence off, etc.

So I walk past that, to get blasted by some teenybop music blaring out of some 'Nuance' speakers. No idea on what brand Nuance is, but more on that later.

There was so much clutter in that store, it makes my shop look clean! Most of the equipment on display was not hooked up let alone tagged with pricing. Pioneer A/V receivers were sitting sideways on the shelves, empty cardboard boxes lying around all over the place. What a mess!

So this cute 20 year old chickie sales clerk comes up and asks if she can help me. I say no, but ask her what country the Nuance speakers came from. Her answer was verbatim: "Like, I don't know, but like, all the sales staff all talk about them, and like, they say they're the best. Like, I have no idea where they're made, but they're great!".

I look at the back of the speakers, and they're yet another brand spinoff of Audiosphere, located in Markham, Ontario.

She has, however no problem telling me in detail about all four nightclubs attached to the Mall, and who's playing at each that night..:)

So as I start walking out of the store, I see a 50-something couple looking at either an A/V receiver or another poorly set up Sony 45" projo.

Another 20-something male sales clerk is helping them, and using his every skill in judging what these people would listen to at home, the guy puts on Marylin Manson's "Beautiful People' at full volume.

Hey, I can appreciate Marylin(!), but if that's what was put on by a sales clerk while I was looking for something, I'd walk. No idea if the couple bought anything...

So then as I'm walking out of the store, I look at the sales desk, and there were about 6 sales guys and 'chicks', all well under the age of 25. I have no idea what these people can possibly think of selling, but the owner of this store needs to get his crap together. Unless this store is a tax write-off...:D

Then I go over to The S**Y Store, a corporately owned retail store, and proceed to hear a 30 year old sales clerk tell a customer that the 'mirrors and glass' in a S**y rear projector are fully replaceable once they wear out.

And many of us sit here and argue miniscule points about HT. If what I saw in Edmonton is the norm in retail, we're all in much better shape than the uninformed consumer...:rolleyes:

Curt

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Yeah? And, like, what's your point? LMAO!! Did you, like, try bungee jumping, or like, the waterpark?

I guess we are just well informed people here. I love going to the store to ask the sales people questions they can't possibly answer. Like, what does HDTV stand for, dude?

It is sad. Yes, we argue over miniscule almost molecular tweaks here in this forum. I bet everyone here can set the clock on their VCR.

I remember a customer once asked me "how do I set the clock on this VCR?" It said in bold letters on top of the unit: AUTO CLOCK SET.

Geee.... I really miss the consumer electronics repair business.... NOT.

Well, thanks for the laugh, Curt.

I fix stuff too, wanna make somethin off it?

Marc

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, I should have asked the chick about programming the clock..:)

I'll be back in the summer with my 8 year old to get sucked into spending real money...-)

What's with that dinky little hill on Calgary Trail that people ski on???

Then again, we have no snow here in Vancouver or Whistler, so I guess that hill is better than what we have here right now..:)

Curt

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was two of them, very cute, but I could never datethem.

Remember 'Diner' where the guy grilled his wife to be about football or whatever it was???

Reminds me of a good friend of mine that dumped an old girlfriend for no other reason that she didn't know that Jimi Hendrix was dead...

If the chick can't solder, there's no point in dating her... maybe that's why I'm single...

Curt

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I took my wife into a retail AV store and the first thing she commented on was how good the picture was on that $12,000.00 plasma set. In fact it's almost as good as your $1,500.00 projector. If she was'nt my wife, I woulda kissed her.

Chip S.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
People between the ages of 13 and 25 should be refured to as "Mutants". When one has to deal with sale people in this age group, and follows their advice, you get "Mutated".

Why would you want snow in Whistler. It would just stop you from playing the GREAT golf courses.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
So Curt, what are you telling us...the mirrors and glasses aren't replaceable when they wear out???;)

It's unfortunate, but 95% of the electronic salespeople out there could care less about how the product works, all they want is a fast hassle free sale...."just show me the money".

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Haha thanks for a good laugh :D

I'm in the computer business (more to the hardware side of it).

If it's bad in the A / V business then you should hear some of the stuff you hear the mall-type-sales-guy tell their customers.

Same scenario, they don't know $hit ;)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
13 and 25 should be refured to as "Mutants
Hmmm. the only forms of discrimination that seem to have escaped the P.C. umbrella are.......

that against White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant Males from the South,

and

that against those of some youth.

Well, since I am 25, going on 26 soon, mind you ;) I fall into the latter category that I thought I had escaped. I will never escape the first category, though..... its a good thing I don't care! ;)

Cheers

Andrew B.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ah yes welcome to International. They sure do like to flog those Nuance speakers dont they.

Sounds like the typical store for them lets hire young salespeople with promises of large commisions and then send them out against the throngs of unknowlegeable consumer electronics buyers. To say the least they are at the top of my most hated store list. Never bought anything there Just try and steer everyone away from them. You should see some of there advertising Very classy Scantilly clad women and all.

Oh well At least it gives me a chance to have some fun at their expense once in awhile.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Rats, guess I have a couple more years in my mutant stage, since I'm 23 going on 24. Man I can feel my evolution coming......... :D

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I've been in the audio industry long enough to know that particular speaker brand's pet name is "Nuisance"

·
Registered
595 Posts
I love those stores, we have a few big chains here in Australia, I said I had a sony 1251 to the "home theatre expert" in the "home theatre test room" and he said whats that? I said a crt projector, the reply was a blank "gee thats old, they haven't made them since the 70's, they had the three big lights on them didn't they?", then again the same guy didnt know what DLP was as to him all digital projectors are LCD. But he did get a sale out of me, video essentials, which he, being the dedicated "home theatre expert" in one of these stores which in itself is like a mall, or even a small city with all those different departments, didnt know exsisted but a quick seach on his computer said they had one in stock which he eventually found.

Thats harvey norman for you! then again I also asked at the same store for a DVI cable for my new digital, I got the response "Is that some sort of fast SCSI cable?"

Then again Im still a mutant anyways ;)

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Curt! No chickie-pictures? Son, that is the last time we send you on an assignment! And there is nothing wrong with dating a very cute sub-25 chickie for an evening. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.