AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give a public thanks to Erich for helping me with my house this weekend. We have it up for sale and had an "open house" yesterday. Even though Erich's not officially in the landscaping business anymore, he was still able to use his connections, some equipment, and his and a friend's muscle to trim up our yard and our neighbor's as well. Alll on very short notice. He put mulch around trees, whacked down overgrown weeds, straightened out an old garden, basically changed it from looking neglected to looking nice. We have several people interested in the place now, so I'd say all was successful. My muscles are still about useless since my surgery last year, and I very much appreciate that Erich was able to help out us old folks - a lot.

So, sorry if your packages get packed one day later than they otherwise would have been -- it's because Erich came to the aid of a friend.

Thanks Erich!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
After all you've done to help around here, I would have been upset to hear that it was handled any other way.

Sooo, Thankyou Bill.

And thankyou Erich for Landscaping Bills house instead of packaging my stuff, seriously.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quite the community asset for sure.

Best of luck Bwaslo

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Knock it off gentlemen!
But thanks for the kind words.

I'm still in landscaping, just delegating work to others a lot more this year so I have extra time to play with audio gear.
Over the course of this year I'd like to slowly back out of landscaping in the field and focus more on audio because I do enjoy it.

I'm behind on packaging more than a day because of a small health issue I had about 1.5 weeks ago. I've always joked with employees and friends that I'm not going to the hospital unless I lose a chunk of flesh bigger than my index finger. So if I ever go to the hospital, it has to be pretty darn bad.

I woke up in the middle of the night about 10 days ago with a slight pain in my lower abdomen. I just assumed I had lifted something wrong and stretched a muscle or had some serious gas pains. Laid back down, it kept getting worse. Around 6:30 I called my lady friend to see how she was feeling because we both ate the same dinner the day before. She was fine but she could tell I wasn't. I told her to go to work and I would lay back down. Within about 30 minutes the pain was so bad that I started to really worry. Called my sister to see if she would come over, no answer. I guess I called her 3 times, then finally left a message that must have sounded like I was in horrible pain and to let my dad know.

I've dealt with bad injuries, but never internal pain this bad. So I ended up calling my lady friend back while she was driving to work and asked her to come over to my house to go to Urgent Care or the doctor, NOT the hospital! At that point I was extremely worried because I could barely stand. I thought maybe my appendix had burst, or maybe a hernia had ripped open or something.

My lady friend arrived and was really shaken up to see me in that kind of pain. By then I was ready for her to take me to the emergency room. Asked her how long it would take to get to the hospital and she guessed 20 minutes. Keep in mind that I had no idea what the pain was, but it was getting bad so fast that I told her I couldn't wait that long. It literally felt like a knife was being twisted in my lower gut and did not let up. Guess what? Yep, 911. Couldn't believe it!

They did 2 scans at the hospital, then a couple small doses of morphine that did nothing. Doctor asked "Scale of 1 to 10, how is your pain?" I said about 8. But my lady friend interrupted and explained that I assume a 10 is when you lop off both legs at the same time.
The doctor shook his head and gave me something that he said was 10x stronger than morphine. Another doctor came in and said there was a 3mm kidney stone lodged between the kidney and the bladder, and another smaller one behind it. They said something about 'blasting' it out due to it's size or giving me something to dilate the tubes and hope it moves along. At that point my dad was there and they told him I would likely pass out either way. They gave me more of that miracle pain killer and I was able to ride it out. Pass out? Nah.
I guess they both finally worked their way into my bladder and I was able to whiz them out at some point without even knowing. Well, there was some blood, but at that point, who cares. Most people seem to think kidney stones hurt when you whiz them out, not so. It's when they go from the kidneys to the bladder instead. Not fun.

By later afternoon I was ready to go package up more stuff, but my lady friend told me I wasn't allowed.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Man sorry to hear that Erich, I have had 2 incidents with stones and it sucks. The last one was bad like yours, I got about 3miles down the hill with the wife on the way to urgent care when I told her to just go to the fire station and have the ambulance drive me, it was pretty darn bad. I have had my index and middle finger stuck in a router and shredded a little and all I did was wrap it and let it heal. I hate and can't afford hospitals but with the stones, I didn't care about the bill. They gave me something to dilute it as well and I never saw it pass. $2K later, I was home feeling like I just gave birth to an 18" Subwoofer.
They say drink more water, drink juices, no more coffee, but do we listen? Heck no. Had 3 cups today already. Glad you are doing better though, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow Erich, you didn't mention when starting on my yard Saturday that you had just been through all that! What in hell are you doing jumpong into my mess of a yard so soon after that? I should be over there doing your packing (not that I actually can).

Take it easier, sit back and play some music or watch a movie or something.

Bill

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
Kidney stones are a real basturd. I had one about two years ago and I have never in my life felt pain that intense. It was actually 100x worse than any pain I'd ever been in before.

Glad you've passed it by now.

Time to change your diet.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
SO thats why I havent gotten a tracking number yet.
Sorry for your troubles Erich. Wow. I am going to be drinking more water now after reading that.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Bill, no worries at all. The next day after the hospital visit it was as if nothing had even happened. No blood when I whizzed, no pain, nothing. I actually second guessed having my lady friend call 911, but then promptly remembered that I couldn't even really stand up.

The doctors prescribed Vicodin and some other pills for nausea in case I needed them. They said the pain could come back once that one crazy pain killer they shot me with wore off. I took one Vicodin that same day I got home from the hospital just in case it did come back. But I was pretty much okay and never took any more meds.

I do drink a lot of milk and water, which can cause kidney stones, plus it's hereditary (yes, I thanked my dad). The doctor said this area has more minerals in the water than other parts of the country so it happens on a larger percentage here. Not sure how true that was, but can't see why she would lie. She also said a 2mm stone for men is equivalent to giving birth without pain killer. The reason the 2nd doctor gave me the extra shot of the good pain medicine was after he saw that it was a 3mm with a smaller one behind it. Well and I said I'd rather ride it out versus them 'blasting' it....whatever the heck that was suppose to mean.

Stones don't bother women as badly, but I haven't looked up why.

I'm just glad it wasn't anything worse.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H  /t/1524055/sort-of-ot-good-guy-erich#post_24525522
Well and I said I'd rather ride it out versus them 'blasting' it....whatever the heck that was suppose to mean.
They can pulverize the kidney stones with sound waves so the smaller pieces can pass through your system.   http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/extracorporeal-shock-wave-lithotripsy-eswl-for-kidney-stones  I guess you're not into that kind of audio.  8)

Glad you're doing better.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Add me to the kidney stone misery list. Ended up with my first last year. I'd rather be kicked in the nuts over and over then every deal with that pain again. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1524055/sort-of-ot-good-guy-erich#post_24529981

Add me to the kidney stone misery list. Ended up with my first last year. I'd rather be kicked in the nuts over and over then every deal with that pain again. Hope you feel better soon.

Your wish is my command.....................

1 - 20 of 22 Posts