AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me just say, I'm not so sure what took me so long...but I finally softmodded an old XBOX I had laying around. Its Thomson drive had seen better days, and I simply replaced it last Halo (Holiday) season...anyway, I figured it would make a nifty Replay client for my bedroom after reading all the positive stuff here. Well, let me jump on the bandwagon. XBOX Media Center is an extraordinary program and does a remarkable job at playing EVERY format (including Replay MPG-2) of media I've been able to throw at it. It streams everything flawlessly. Simply one of the slickest multi-media devices I've ever used.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I've been considering one of these. I'm about to get an HDTV, and with it one of comcast's 6412 DVR's. One of my two Replay's will be retired. :( In it's place I'd like some kind of thin client, and it was either a modded Xbox or a Roku.

I'm leaning towards the Xbox. What are these going for used these day's? I'll be selling a 5040, and a trade for an Xbox sounds pretty good. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can get a used one from Blockbuster for about $130.

You can get a new one from BestBuy/Target/Circuit City for about $150

You will need to get your hands on the following three items:

1. Action replay 8 meg game save card

2. Real game of MechAssult OR 007 Agent Under Fire OR Splinter Cell (hint - rent from Blockbuster :) )

3. This ISO file to burn and install more apps -

Auto-Installer.Deluxe.v2.11.Final.Xbox-Hq

And this is the easiest softmod installer I have found -

Krayzie_(name of game)_UXE_Installer_Dutch-English_v2.8

You could also FTP the apps over, however that requires FlashFXP on your PC.

If you need help or files, just let me know!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777
I've been considering one of these. I'm about to get an HDTV, and with it one of comcast's 6412 DVR's. One of my two Replay's will be retired. :( In it's place I'd like some kind of thin client, and it was either a modded Xbox or a Roku.

I'm leaning towards the Xbox. What are these going for used these day's? I'll be selling a 5040, and a trade for an Xbox sounds pretty good. Anyone interested?
Yeah, I can't say enough about it...it's really worth the time. The "mod" isn't so difficult at all, although I did have a small issue modding my second box, in the living room. Some files wouldn't "unrar" properly during the mod install...got around that by FTPing the file in question directly to the XBOX.

I used the Krayzie mod and an Action Replay I picked up at EB games for 30 bones. You can probably get your hands on a used XBOX for less than $100, I'd bet. Brand new at Best Buy you're looking at $149, which after seeing XBMC, I believe is a steal. Anyway, the XBOX 360 isn't too far down the road, and I'd suspect we'll see yet another price drop on the XBOX when the 360 finally hits. I may just have to pick one up as a spare when that happens, because to my knowledge, there is no more a versatile multi-media machine out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wanted to add you should buy an older xbox. I do lots of these mods. The newer xbox will require a modchip. That adds money to the price. Get at least v1.4/5 for ease of modding. These babies can be modded with two quick soldering points. Version 1.0 can have a switch installed allowing you to continue using xbox live. If you need some help let me know. Interested in buying one from me? Send a PM. I'll help either way.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did the hotswap softmod, because I'm a cheap bastard. It requires no modchip, and no action replay. Just a computer and a bootable disc that you can download. I didn't even own a controller for 2 weeks. I wish I had done it much much sooner.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurhurdler
I did the hotswap softmod, because I'm a cheap bastard. It requires no modchip, and no action replay. Just a computer and a bootable disc that you can download. I didn't even own a controller for 2 weeks. I wish I had done it much much sooner.
can you give me more info for the hotswap method?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod3371
can you give me more info for the hotswap method?

Yes, GO HERE

or you can basically search for hotswap+xbox+UXE on google or xboxscene.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfave
I wanted to add you should buy an older xbox. I do lots of these mods. The newer xbox will require a modchip. That adds money to the price. Get at least v1.4/5 for ease of modding. These babies can be modded with two quick soldering points. Version 1.0 can have a switch installed allowing you to continue using xbox live. If you need some help let me know. Interested in buying one from me? Send a PM. I'll help either way.
Hey, not necessarily so...the latest build of the softmods work on ALL XBOXes. I purchased a brand new ver 1.6 XBOX in December, and the mod worked just fine. All of them can be soft modded...no exceptions.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edthecat
It streams everything flawlessly. Simply one of the slickest multi-media devices I've ever used.
Yeah and the latest builds include support for the new x.264 mpeg-4 codecs. Which I'll be playing around with this weekend, it sounds as if this codec is far supperior to Divx / Xvid.

Every time I upgrade my xboxen, I am pleasently surprised.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
XBMC just rocks, i think thats all you can say, it just rocks.

I have a samba share on a linux box that I stream all my dvd's off of. So, basically with one xbox I can access my entire dvd and reply collection.

Kudo's to XBMC for making such a great product!!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
The only thing that sucks about XBMC's Replay support is that I see interlacing artifacts when I use it. Haven't tried it in a while, maybe that has changed now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tour93
You can even stream Rtv recorded shows into your Xbmc without any special setup, just out of the box.
At one point, I had a build from last year that worked with my replays on my xbox, but I can no longer stream shows from my replay to my xbox. I even put the old version back on awhile ago - no go. I had thought for awhile that they had broken the newer releases but not any of them work for me and since I haven't heard about a problem with them and you are saying it works now, I am doubting it's an XBMC thing. Are there certain settings that are needed?

My xbox can see my replays, open them up to see the shows lists, but when I hit (A) I hear it working and then nothing. I can then move my cursor highlight to any show, hit (A) again, it seems to do something then nothing. Really irritating. Any ideas? (I have a 5040 and a 4320).

Calvin

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin940
Are there certain settings that are needed?
No setting needed in XBMC, it should work by itself.

How did your connect RTV to PC and Xbox to PC, wired or wireless?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin940
My xbox can see my replays, open them up to see the shows lists, but when I hit (A) I hear it working and then nothing.

Calvin
Set XBMC to grab time from an internet time server.

Gerry, the DVArchive guy states that RTV's must have a clock that is within 40 seconds of each other for them to stream.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh
The only thing that sucks about XBMC's Replay support is that I see interlacing artifacts when I use it. Haven't tried it in a while, maybe that has changed now.
No, it hasn't changed. Apparently it's a function of the mplayer code.

Quote:
AFAIK XBMC doesn't cope at all well with interlaced video replayed as interlaced video. Every build I've used de-interlaces 60i to 30p or 50i to 25p and then re-interlaces this back to 60i or 50i - and thus reduces the motion rendition to frame rather than field rate.

Compared to a hardware MPEG2 replay solution the limitations of XBMC are clear. However this isn't a function of the XBox hardware - as DVD replay using the DVD function in the XBox is fine. AIUI the XBMC limitation is a function of MPlayer code that XBMC is based on...

It is a pity it doesn't de-interlace to 60p or 50p - that would improve things a bit...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack
Set XBMC to grab time from an internet time server.

Gerry, the DVArchive guy states that RTV's must have a clock that is within 40 seconds of each other for them to stream.
I had some problems initially getting XBMC to play the videos as well. I could parse the list of shows, but not play them. Two things seem to be critical.

1. Make sure your XBMC is grabbing the time from the internet from your time server of choice.

2. Be sure to modify the XBMC settings file (I forget the precise name at the moment, but it is referenced in the online XBMC manual) and point the Xbox at your Replay's IP addy. That seemed to be the essential part of the puzzle I was missing. I read some accounts that for some people, the XBMC simply "found" their Replay. Not so for me, I had to explicity point it to the correct IP addy.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack
No, it hasn't changed. Apparently it's a function of the mplayer code.
I wasn't aware of this problem. Just how bad does the playback look compared to what Replay produces? I was planning on replacing a Replay with an XBMC, but if the video quality takes a major hit because of the interlacing artifacts, I'll probably lean towards a Roku.

How's the video quality on a Roku, compared to a XBMC and a Replay? What about the audio?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.