AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the thing, I need help. Nothing I try works 100% or much closer. Here is my set up situation, I have normal mode on for energy issues and want to keep it on. 2 I have gamming mode on. 3 I am hooked in to a pc with hdmi and a galaxy 670 gc 4gb vram. Also the hdmi blacks are set to low as the other setting is too washed out overall. Last I have the latest firmware update. I got the blacks and whites 75% there. You may be saying what is he talking about, well... I can get the tv where the blacks are black, but then my whites are too bright. For some time befor I tidied up the contrast I had halo effect and text was with a halo. Now I am glad to have that all fixed my blacks are good, text is good, but my whites and brights have too much glare or bloom effect. There not really too bright actually there just right, but kinda over clipping and washes out my greys that are used for shadows. I have been useing big buck bunny(too much bloom), the game driver San Francisco(to much gamma), some 4k videos(too dark) and old analog tv on dvd rips(back when bloom effect was on all metal-they are looking deep and rich with little or no bloom, but there's bloom when it originally was there to begin with), also hd photos(are ok); I use these to go back and forth to calibrate this mess. I will mention I have hooked the pc up to a ctr with little need to fix that and that was running the true stream not the hdmi low blacks setting on my samsung. Also to let you know the tv has a samsung panel. And no I am leaving the hdmi low blacks on as I can't even get the other setting to be more then muddy, it makes my tv look like it is warn out washed out all over. Any suggestions, I can post my settings I have the tv at if that would help. Come on community I know we can nip this one in the butt.

JAH BLESSINGS AND THANK YOU

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to state i am useing the avs hd 709 mp4 version, but at ends with the final resaults as I stated above. when i did it by eye it was all around better. not to say i prefer it over the 709, the 709 has a better outcome so far. i just need to finish fine tuning the calibration. take into account what I wrote and see what we can come up with. I can also post the setting in there number form if need. also I have left the white balance as is for now.

thank you and JAH BLESS

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

found out after talking to samsung that a factory reset wont hold to a picture reset.  if you have updated firmware and/or blown out blacks and whites a picture reset may help.  also a factory reset might be the finishing touch

·
Registered
229 Posts

I assume you know the calibration basics. But this may help. Try to calibrate under the movie mode. Make sure everything is turned off before beginning your calibration (frame interpolation, noise reduction, dynamic contrast, vivid color, etc). Once you are done with calibration, check which black level looks better for each source. The black level option may be grayed out depending on the source.

I would avoid using game mode as it appears to be like standard mode and too washed out. The movie mode is quite economical itself and definitely looks more natural. Avoid cranking up backlight so much as well (only appropriate if there is too much sun in your room). Plus, Samsungs usually are the most calibrator friendly since they have 10 pt and CMS adjustment.

But yeah, I would definitely use Movie mode for everything, even for gaming. Do not use Auto Motion Plus as that may increase input lag. 

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
there is no difference in PQ between standard and movie modes once fully calibrated (or standard/game mode for that matter).... aside from the 10-pt control being only available in movie mode

this is based on measurements with a meter and also visual checks with reference material

(and is what I noticed on my personal displays which include the UN46EH6030 LED-LCD and PN51F5300 PDP)

of course, the default movie mode settings are far more accurate than the default standard (or game mode) settings but you can easily change that in 1-2 minutes

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Remember I am on a pc in pc mode it only has vivid and standerd

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No no I forgot to mention my tv had buggy contrast and the picture reset did more for that then a factory reset. Remember there 2 diffrent programs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts