AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can get/order sound absorption material in Canada? In particular in the Toronto area. I have looked into Acoustiblok and Silent Source, but the cost of freight is quite expensive. I am sure if I can get a product that has the same qualities as these in Canada, shipping would be cheaper.

Any information at all would be most helpful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
When you say sound absorbtion:

do you mean the sound can not be heard from outside the room

or

do you mean to control slap echo, low, mid and high freq etc from within the room.

If the latter, you can buy Auralex from Malvern Audio - that is where I picked mine up. They don't stock the stuff but the price is reasonable.

Since you asking about Acoustiblok it sounds like you are looking for the former.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I ordered sound absorbing tiles from a company called Duro International which is located in Quebec. They don't really have a website to speak of, but here is their office phone number: 450-473-5322. These tiles come highly recommended from Dennis Erskine. Do a search on Acoustik Mat or check through Dennis' posts and you should find some more info. They seem to be pretty cheap compared to other options and might fit your needs...

Good luck,

Jeff

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the responses so far. I really do appreciate it. Both Ford Perfect and JATWolf, I am going to look into both of these products mentioned. Once I am further along in the process, I will be posting pictures. Still in the planning stages with a local Audio/Video designer.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Here's a link to a company that has a great selection of products you are looking for:

http://www.wilrep.com

They are in Mississauga (Dixie/401)..

They will show you around and explain their products in their warehouse..

I wish I had found them before I did my room..

I also used the Sonopan underneath the drywall layers and it's very effective..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John for the info. I will definitely give them a call. That is exaclty what I am looking for. You mentioned that you used the Sonopan Panels. Did you have them nailed directly onto the drywall or did you leave a gap? I am curious since I am going to be using resilient channel across my wooden studs and then the drywall. With the addition of Sonopan, I am wondering do I mount the Sonopan first and then the drywall directly to that or should i leave a gap between the Sonopan and the dywall as well? This may be overkill since I am also thinking of using a 2 x 6 sill with staggered 2 x4's 8 inches apart. Any suggestions at all would be most helpful.:D

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My room construction is as follows:

2" x 6" filled with 2 layers of safe and sound insulation

The sonopan is screwed into the studs - all seams filled with caulking

then 1/2" drywall - glue - then a layer of 5/8" drywall..

This construction gives an STC rating of 54 IIRC..

I originally bought the resiliant channel but decided not to use it because of comments I read here..the RC will increase the STC rating but there was issues that the drywall on top of the RC would cause wall vibration problems..

The Sonopan brochure does include the use of RC with a single layer of drywall..

You really should talk with Wilrep - with their product you can go staggered wall and use their product in between the joists and probably eliminate the RC..

My walls are quite rigid and with the acoustic panels are very effective with STC, however I now need bass traps as the bass cannot leave the room..

with the Wilrep product inside the walls you may be able to avoid the cost of bass traps..I'm not sure but it's something to research before you decide what approach to take..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.