AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with sound using the MDP-100.

When I select "wave" for audio output in the AV Setup screen:

1) I don't get a 5.1 audio signal coming out of the optical line of my Intel D845PEBT2 Motherboard (I'm using the integrated sound card built into it).

2) I get sound delay in relation to my TV video signal. Sometimes up to a 1 second delay.

On the other hand, when I select "SDPIF" for audio output in the AV setup screen:

1) I get a nice 5.1 signal without delay coming out of the SDPIF on the MDP100 card that my receiver understands and projects nicely.... Unfortunately, this means that no other sounds from my computer can be heard... only sound from the MDP100. I don't want to switch between two sources on my receiver.

2) Any TV video that is recorded has no sound.

Is there any way to get the following?:

1) No delay between video and sound while viewing (and in recordings).

2) A 5.1 digital audio signal (from the MDP100) coming from my optical line out on my Intel motherboard.

3) All computer sounds coming from that same optical line out on my Intel motherboard. (game sounds, AVI playback, DVD playback, etc.)

4) MDP100 recordings that have audio.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just bouncing this one back to the front, My brother posted this so I would like to help him get an answer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I would assume your problem is with the integrated sound. Aren't most integrated sound cards merely a software codec more than hardware. I know that was the case with my ABIT IT7, and its output was abysmal. If that's the case with your motherboard, you're stressing the CPU to produce 5.1 sound over optical, and that's likely why you're having problems.

Personally, I use a Revolution 7.1 soundcard and have my receiver connected to its S/PDIF out. MyHD is set to WAVE output, and it works with no problems or delays. Plus with the kernel stream plugin for WinAMP, I'm able to output bit-perfect MP3s and DTS CD-Audio...

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Posting what your system is might help, especially CPU and Memory. In Wave vs Cable, I had better luck with the cable. There seems to be just too much traffic on the PCI Bus so the sound is being buffered.

For recording NTSC, you must send the audio to the sound card. There should be no issues with ATSC since it is simply sending the demodulated stream to the disk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a new sound card and that seemed to solve the sound lag while viewing TV.... but when I record and then playback the recording, sound starts in sync but begins to lag more and more until after about 2 hours (a movie) it lags by about 2 seconds.

My system:

P4 2.4 Ghz

512 Megs RAM

SoundBlaster Live Value

MDP-100 card

GeForce 2mx Video card

Any ideas on how to get the MDP-100 program to record movies with sound in-sync throughout?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was never able to resolve the sound issues with the MyHD card. My issues were mostly concerned with getting sound on analog channels, but the routing of the digital sound through the PCI bus has always seemed quirky and flawed. I gave up hope of ever getting it to work right for analog video, which made my life much easier. I've been happy with it as an OTA digital receiver.

Make sure you have all the latest drivers, of course. There are some arcane requirements for updating the drivers, so do a search here first for instructions on how to accomplish this. Cliff Watson was very helpful and I would search his posts (he has probably been asked this a bajillion times, so I would read the history first). Oh, I don't have an on-board sound card (mine is a Philips).

Good luck!

Regards,

Dean

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have had the MDP-100 and have recently upgraded to the MDP-120. With the MDP-100 I had audio problems using the PCI passthrough of either wave or SPDIF. I am happy to say that everything cleared up once I changed my motherboard to a ASUS A7N8X nForce2 based motherboard. Since the change the MDP-100 audio has worked flawlessly in all modes and when I swapped in the MDP-120 it worked perfectly also.

I would suggest that you check that your MyHD audio output is set to Wave and that SPDIF is set as your OutputMode. This is the way I got the best audio out of my old motherboard (an ASUS P4PE). It still had some problems but they changed with each new audio driver release.

I have to say that the problems are almost assuredly with the motherboard audio and not the MyHD.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Greetings,

I have the ASUS A7N8X DELUXE which has 5.1 surround built into the motherboard, I have used the MYHD tuner card mainly for viewing DVD movies on My Zenith 27" HDTV monitor and I have flawless 5.1 surround audio to an amplified surround speaker system. I have WAVE set on the MYHD tuner. Without WAVE being set in the MYHD configuration panel I have no audio out at all.

I have never tried to use the spdif out on the MyHD tuner card so I can't speak to that The A7N8X with surround built in, was a pleasant surprise as everything has worked flawlessly.

Good Luck

robertpcx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.