AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AVS
I’ll be quick. I’m building a new house and my main question is if I should buy a soundbar with a sub for my TV or if I should go with two 8” Proficient Audio speakers mounted in the celling? What’s going to give us the best quality for general use? We don’t need surround sound quality in that space but we want good dispersed sound for general TV watching and for playing music throughout thewhole house. The room is 23’ x 17’.Thank you in advance.

Here aresome follow up questions if anyone has more time.
I can addtwo more 6” Proficient speakers mounted in the kitchen ceiling too. Our houseis an open concept design so the sound will carry around the general first floor. I could tie all four Proficient speakers into a network so they couldplay from the TV as a source or from any other music player. As far as I know Icould not tie in the sound bar to my network.

Then we are looking at options for our finished basement space. It’s around 700 squarefeet. We’ll have a central area for a TV but nothing like a formal separated home theater. Should I bother installing a 5.1 surround system in the ceilingif the TV area is going to be open in this large of a space? I could add two more ceiling mounted speakers in the back of the space to even out distribution.

My other option is to use a sound bar for the TV and to just put four Proficients in thebasement ceiling spaced out equally for music. The speaker bar couldn’t be usedin the network though so the ceiling speakers would only be used for music. I’d hate to spend money on two outputs that couldn’t work together. Are ceiling speakers good enough if we really don’t need surround sound?

Last, I could just do four ceiling mounts down there and call it a day. That's the cheapest and the Proficients I tested sounded pretty good in my opinion. Would that sound ok?
We plan to install a projector later and we’d like people to hear what was on the TV where ever they were in the space.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would recommend against both a soundbar and ceiling mounted speakers. Soundbars are worse in most cases when compared to a normal 2.0 or 2.1 channel speaker setup (at the same price point). As for in-ceiling speakers acting as front speakers, you need the drivers pointed AT YOU to get decent imaging and soundstage.

I suggest that you buy a pair of bookshelf speakers (or even tower speakers) and an amp and use those. You can wall-mount the speakers or put them on stands so that they are at ear level. You didn't mention budget, but, for example, a pair of ELAC Debut B6 bookshelves cost $280 and offer great sound and value.

As for the basement, do not install all the speakers in the ceiling. I know it seems convenient and inconspicuous, but surround sound just doesn't work that way. The front speakers should be pointed at the main listening position and placed at ear level. The surrounds should go on the wall about 2 feet above ear level (if they are bipole speakers).

Using ceiling speakers if you don't want surround doesn't make any sense. Ceiling speakers should only be used in a Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, or Auro 3D setup where you specifically want things to sound like they're coming from above you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

JohnDoe,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have read that type of advice on other sites, that surround sound systems should be positioned right and ceiling mounted is not ideal.

For our project, the audio contractor took me through a model home with both ceiling options and both sounded good. He had a surround system all ceiling mounted with the speakers turned to the right angles but they were covered so we couldn't see any what it looked like.

Then he had two ceiling mounted speakers in the kitchen and he played music from them for us. It seemed to really fill the space well.

In both cases I could tell the source was above me but I didn't mind because the quality was impressive. We are not audio or movie junkies but my kids might like hat stuff as they get older. My biggest desire is that we have even dispersed audio through out the whole house, whether we have casual TV on or music.

Thanks again. I'll remember this as I continue to research.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sound Bars

I just got back from Best Buy and there happened to be a Sony Rep there. He was great. We tested their top end sound bar and I stood over 25 feet away and it still sounded great. The Sonos system was impressive too. I think I'll be leaning towards a wireless system when I out fit my two rooms in about a year. The Sony system as about half the cost of Sonos. That's a factor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts