AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now I cannot run wires thru the room for rear speakers and cannot mount or provide power for wireless rear speakers.

So i have left with 2 options for my home theatre system setup.

1. get a soundbar with subwoofer (like sony htc150 or 350)

2. Or get a decent htib like onkyo HT-S3300 or BDV-570 and just use the front 3 speakers & subwoofer

Which is a better approach and any suggestion or recommendation for which one to get in the category? My budget is around $400-$500.

thanks

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
get a modest a/v receiver, 2 bookshelf speakers and a center channel speaker. Add a good small powered subwoofer when the budget allows.

if, and when, you can go "full surround", you will only need to add two new front speakers (move smaller bookshelf units to surround position).

even a modest a/v receiver will give you far more features, connectivity, and performance than any soundbar or low end HTiB.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. I am newbie, can you provide me some recommendations for the av receiver and speakers/subwoofer. Also I do not have much space to have a big front speakers.

Also, is onkyo HT-S3300 fall in on the low-end HTiB or a mid-range? or is there a better replacement for it under $500 range

thanks

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the S3300 is at the "decent low end" with a passive subwoofer. The S5300 is a better choice. You might consider a factory refurb from an authorized dealer (they are out of the S5300, but have the S6300) http://www.accessories4less.com/make...od-Dock/1.html

you might consider the Onkyo SR508 http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html and if you are concerned about a refurb, just get the extended warranty priced very reasonably at Accessories4less.

A nice pair of speakers would be the Polk Monitor 40's and a CS1 center, Monitor 30's for surrounds from newegg.com

or Infinity Primus P162 fronts, PC250 center, and P152 surrounds from crutchfield.com

you might also look at the Denon DHT-591BA bundle with a 591 receiver and a Boston Acoustics speaker bundle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.