AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have sblive 5.1 and a dd receiver with digital coaxial in. I have two cords connecting sblive 5.1 to the receiver. The first is a simple stereo miniplug male to female from the cards digital out the the second is a mono miniplug male to coaxial male from the first chord to the receiver's din. I have sound setting in audio hq set to 5.1 and digital only. But I'm getting no sound (and the receiver is set to the right source), can anyone see a problem with this?

looks like this

|__|<---< <---> |___|

card, stereo miniplug male-female, miniplug(mono)-coax male-male, receiver

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Rory:

___Get rid of the Stereo Mini-plug to RCA and go direct with a mono-Mini-plug to RCA jack. Next, verify you have enabled Digital out properly from the Live 5.1 itself. Thirdly and possibly most important, if you are coming off the Digital output of a 5.1 card, you are feeding your DD/DTS receiver an unhealthy out of spec S/PDIF output.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mono miniplug to rca didn't solve the problem. The only relevant sound blaster settings I know of are "5.1" for speaker selection and "Digital Output Only" checked. I am connected to the analog/digital out on the sblive and the digital in on the receiver. it's a pioneer d309 if that helps. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rory, I have this card and have got caught out with this before. When you do your first install or run the speaker configuration program again it goes to the default output of it's own DD decoding. Go to the mixer panel and click on advanced in the speaker section and turn of the cards internal DD decoding. This may be your problem, I hope.

------------------

GOLDEN.

Success has many fathers but failure is always an orphan.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried that based on someone else's advice. They also advised I change to the "LiveSurround!" speaker setting. Neither worked. Hmm. I'm pretty sure I have the receiver set up right. I changed the coax to associate with the dvd/ld mode, then I switch to dvd/ld mode. Can't think of anything more to try. I'm now using the mono miniplug to rca by itself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi again, Rory are you getting no sound at all or just no DD signal?

Once you have the mixer panel set to digital output only it doesn't matter what speaker configuartion you use as they are by-passed (as long as you have the cards internal DD swithched off).

Does your reciever do anything or do you just get nothing?

Have you tried the analoge output, is that working?

Let me know what you've tried, did you fit the card and do you have more than 1 CD/DVD drives?

What reciever do you have?

------------------

GOLDEN.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The card works fine. And the receiver works fine. They just don't work together. I don't get any sound at all from card to receiver. The model number of the radio shack cable i'm using is 42-2461a. I'm just testing with stereo music right now. digital output only is checked and ac3 is unchecked. You can view the receiver info here:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...0941205030.pdf

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Rory, I've just looked at the spec sheet for your reciever and it should be straight hook up job.

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about xcels comments about the SB 5.1 card not giving out a standard spec DD output and the possibility of equipment damage!

Just to check, are you now using a straight mono mini-jack to RCA lead now?

I'm off to bed but I'll check back in the morning.

------------------

GOLDEN.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, mono mini-jack to rca. What type of connectors do I need for the optical in connection. Just need to add an adapter jack to the wire right? Thanks for your help with this.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Rory:

___I may have missed something here. Are you using Windows 2000 by chance? How are you setting up the DVD player(s) in their particular audio configuration screens? Are you using the S/PDIF output or something else? Which DVD players are you using? What is your Control Panel --> Sounds and Multimedia --> Audio Tab --> Sound Playback Preferred Device setup as? Have you selected DD 5.1 or DTS from the DVD Audio selection to play as well? A CD-Audio and or MP3 stream is a PCM stream whereas a DVD can have the AC-3 or DTS stream. Do you have a Receiver setting of Auto detect or PCM as well?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am having the same problem with my soundblaster 5.1.......I get no sound and I have tried everything that Rory has tried!!! I can use some help!!! I did order the M-Audio 24/96 which I should get on Monday.....hope that works!!!

Thanks

Hoop24

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Does the coaxial input your reciever work with anyother DD devices hooked into that input? It might be that jack.

Using a volt meter are you getting any voltage out of the SBLive Coaxial out at all?

My SBLive has a persnickity(?) digital jack and sometimes the miniplug doens't quite sit right and I have to jiggle it.

Tim

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. Tried everyone's suggestions.. i'm running win98 by the way. To clarify, i'm not getting any sound at all, it's not just a dd problem

·
Registered
901 Posts
Rory,

I have the same sound card as you and it works fine for me, so let's go back to basics and do a few tests.

1. Reset you sound card to the way it was BEFORE you changed anything for digital. set the speakers to 5.1 and make sure the DD decoding is selected as well.

2. Connect the front speaker output of the sound card to your receiver using a standard stereo mini-jack to twin RCAs.

3. In the speaker setup for the card run the test. You should hear "left front" and "right front". If do do hear this then move on, otherwise check your mixer settings.

4. Move the stereo mini-jack to the rear output and run the test again. This time you should hear "rear left" and " rear right". If this work fine the move on, otherwise check the SB mixer(not the windows one) make sure the fade is centered.

5. Move the stereo mini-jack to the very top (center/sub/digital) output and run the test again. You should hear "center" if you do them move on, otherwise the top jack maybe dodgy.

6. If you have enough cables and you have a 5.1 analogue inputs on your receiver then connect the cards front, rear and center/sub outputs to your receiver. Otherwise move on to number 8.

7. Select the 6 channel (5.1) speaker setup in WinDVD. you need the multi-channel version to do this, so I hopew that is what you have. Now play a DVD and select the DD5.1 track. If you have a DVD with the THX optimode setup (Toy Story/Toy Story2) then use that and run the test. You should hear all channels. If all is OK them move on.

8. If you got this far then you should have 5.1 decoding working via the Live 5.1 or you should at least have heard sound from the card. Now disconnect the top center/sub connection and reconfigure it for digital by setting 'digital output only' in the speaker setup.

9. Connect the digital output to your receiver using the mono mini-hack to single RCA cable. The voltage from the Live 5.1 is out of spec, so this is a brave move.

9. Try playing a wav file or something else simple. If you hear something then woohoo, otherwise there is one of three things wrong. a, Your Live 5.1 is toast. b, There is something wrong with the cable. c, Your receiver is toast.

Lets hope that you either got this working or your problem is either b or a

If you want/need to go optical then you need an add-on to the SB card. You can get a live drive or the much cheaper Hoontech SB DBII. The Hoontech will also give you a proper in spec SPDIF as well.

Best of luck http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

------------

Simon Wilson
My Naff Home Page

·
Registered
901 Posts
I think the SB DB I is an older model. The current models on the www.hoontech.com website are the SB DBII and SB DBIII.

------------------

------------

Simon Wilson
My Naff Home Page

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi again Rory,

Still got problems with your sound card. I have just fitted a hoontech DB III and althoungh my soundblaster 5.1 was working ok before, there is a marked difference in the sound quality. (I fitted it due to my voltage output paranoia).

Lets get back to basics Rory, does your system manger recognise the sound card ok? Does it say "this device is working properly".

Have you tried your old card back in the PC in case it's a board or slot contact fault?

Have you looked at the printed circuit board where the mini jack socket goes on the card?

Are you getting anything out of the analouge outputs?

Do you have the DMA ticked on your DVD drive? (long shot I know)

Give us another update

------------------

GOLDEN.

[This message has been edited by Golden (edited 05-21-2001).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.